Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree1306Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I tried a slightly different method. The first round loaves were meant to be cooked in a Dutch oven and the lid lifted for the last 10-mins. I haven't got a Dutch oven yet so used a casserole dish. but being glass meant that the bottom wasn't quite as well cooked as I'd like. so used a traditional loaf tin. It was cooked nicely; but the crust came out more crunchy. Was still really nice; just not a chewy crust like last time.

The recipe is a no knead, long rise recipe that is just about full-proof and super easy. The key is the overnight rise; it makes it a bit sourdough-ish. And only having to fold the dough rather than kneading makes it really convenient!

I used to use a recipe out of an 1898 house/farm encyclopedia (used to make bread every day about 20-years ago) It was a loose batter that rose overnight and you added flour and kneaded the next morning. It was a good recipe but the no-knead blows it out of the water! So far there hasn't been any inedible disasters! Touch wood.... It is very consistant and easy
    The chunk that you are holding doesn't look like it was proved and baked in a tin ?? Anyway, would this work as a solution to no dutch oven - put the two tins of dough in a roasting dish with warm water an inch deep around the tins and the lid on to prove. When ready to bake, tip nearly all or all of the water out and bake with the lid on the roasting dish at 200 ish then turn down with lid off to finish ??
    bumblefoot likes this.

I tried a slightly different method. The first round loaves were meant to be cooked in a Dutch oven and the lid lifted for the last 10-mins. I haven't got a Dutch oven yet so used a casserole dish. but being glass meant that the bottom wasn't quite as well cooked as I'd like. so used a traditional loaf tin. It was cooked nicely; but the crust came out more crunchy. Was still really nice; just not a chewy crust like last time.

The recipe is a no knead, long rise recipe that is just about full-proof and super easy. The key is the overnight rise; it makes it a bit sourdough-ish. And only having to fold the dough rather than kneading makes it really convenient!

I used to use a recipe out of an 1898 house/farm encyclopedia (used to make bread every day about 20-years ago) It was a loose batter that rose overnight and you added flour and kneaded the next morning. It was a good recipe but the no-knead blows it out of the water! So far there hasn't been any inedible disasters! Touch wood.... It is very consistant and easy
    Hi Bumblefoot, inspiring. I'm with you, so much pleasure and goodness from making and growing your own food. Its next level and infinitely better on wallet and health.
    I'm keen cook and just started making bread myself. I'd be keen on
    No knead long rise recipe if you felt posting it. I'll crack too and post a few of my cooking efforts too. Cheers,
    bumblefoot likes this.

I use a combination of 2 recipes. The ingredients of the first one and the folding etc of the second one

https://www.jennycancook.com/recipes...-knead-bread/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Rf2LBgmsc
    veitnamcam and Moa Hunter like this.

I use a combination of 2 recipes. The ingredients of the first one and the folding etc of the second one

Beauty, thanks mate. I'll give it a whirl.

Banned

Have you dyed your gloves pink in accordance with the instructions bumblefoot ??

Greetings again Bumblefoot,
    I was poking around the non firearms sections of the Forum when I spotted your thread, you might say I bumbled into it. I am impressed! We live on a small block, 8 hectares, and like to think we live off the land to a small extent. About half our meat comes from farm kill beef, winter heating including hot water comes from on site fire wood and we have a small vegetable garden. I have done most of the things that you are doing at various times in the past but currently not so much. We are both retired so there is no work pressure so can offer no excuses. I am both impressed and inspired by what you can achieve on a quarter acre and resolve to do better, perhaps a small glass house. We will see.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    madmaori likes this.

I've got just under 3 acres here. But it could be done on a 1/4 acre. I work from home which also simplifies things. But really; the no knead bread is so simple to do it's no hassle to make. I really like the fact that if I have a bag of flour, some yeast and salt in the pantry I have a loaf of bread there.

[QUOTE=Moa Hunter;940703]Have you dyed your gloves pink in accordance with the instructions bumblefoot ??[/QUO

No; but as a kid I was caught red-handed with my hand in the chocky bicky tin.....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Another attempt to dial it in right! The thing I like about no-knead bread is that the long fermenting time (24-hours in this case) makes a very "sourdough-like" bread. And there is no kneading except from folding the dough. Has a bit of the sourdough flavour and the honeycomb-like interior without all the fart-arsing around! "Poor Man's Sourdough"! And it seems very reliable; no inedible disasters yet (touch wood!).....

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  349.7 KB
    craigc, hotbarrels, Beaker and 1 others like this.

Banned
    That one looks good !! On the subject of sourdough, have you thought of trying a sourdough (bacterial) starter instead of yeast ?
    The ultimate even better than sourdough bread from a health perspective, would be made by sprouting the grain first and then giving it a spin in the 'kitchen whizz' then using this wet mix. The lectins in the grain would be broken down by sprouting. I have not done this yet, but should do. Barley would be the go, cheap, easy to sprout and low glycemic index
    The other thing to consider is Green banana flour instead of grain flour.

Another attempt to dial it in right! The thing I like about no-knead bread is that the long fermenting time (24-hours in this case) makes a very "sourdough-like" bread. And there is no kneading except from folding the dough. Has a bit of the sourdough flavour and the honeycomb-like interior without all the fart-arsing around! "Poor Man's Sourdough"! And it seems very reliable; no inedible disasters yet (touch wood!).....

Attachment 127990
    I like the long ferments as well when doing pizza dough - up to three days in the fridge. The longer your ferment, the less yeast you need to put in at the start otherwise you will over proof - typically 0.25% by weight of flour or less.

I have found that different yeast strains behave differently as well, so pick a yeast that you can get time and time again and get to know it well. Changing yeasts while experimenting can lead to frustration.

One of the secrets of the no kneed bread is the very high hydration (78% for the dough in the video you linked). As a comparison, high hydration pizza dough is around 60-63%.
    One tip I picked up a month back is to only mix about 70% of the flour with the water, salt and yeast and let it sit for 1/2 hour, then mix in the remaining flour. Seems to proof better, but I am machine mixing - not sure if it will make any difference with the higher hydration or not.
    Another key is timing - when to put the dough in the oven. It needs to be as the dough is on the rise, not once it has peaked. This ensures you get a good 'spring' before the heat of the oven kills off the yeast, and the rest is done as a result of the high moisture content of the dough expanding and venting off as steam.

I wish fresh bread and butter was less fattening and better for you ……...
    Moa Hunter likes this.

This is that loaf cut into. I fold the dough in the morning and let it rise again for about an hour before baking it.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  349.1 KB
    GSP HUNTER, hotbarrels and Beaker like this.

Check out no need turbo bread with Steve on you tube
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Good thread thks..I hunt goats for meat close to Stratford. Unfortunately we are semi-locked into the big smoke and grow nothing much edible except spuds in bags. Countdown is us...My last goat dish was a beaut Vindaloo. Hoping to go get venison next month on a paid meat hunt. Better than nothing but would be nice to get onto some bush pig etc. I get rabbits from time to time and an occasional hare. Yum. Takes me back to growing up on a farm with a .22. Yell if you want a great Vindaloo recipe, genuine grind yer own spice one.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Thanks; I've seen that one and it's basically the same recipe and technique