Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree1310Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

I got a copy of Hildreth's book as a gift from my uncle when I was quite young. I think it had a huge influence on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    A very relevant thread right now...does anybody have a toilet paper tree I can take a cutting from, ?also a paracetamol tree would be good as well. thanx.
    Bearing in mind that our lav paper is made here in NZ, it is unlikely that we will ever run out UNLESS OF COURSE Labour gets back in September as a pseudo Government and then as we will all have severe cases of the shits, there may be a nationwide shortage.

The bark of the Willow plant contains Salicylic acid which is related to acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin) and the bark of the Cinchona bush ( not o be found in the Southern Hemisphere, is the original source of the chemicals that were used to make Quinine and Paracetamol. BUT, the Aspirin and Paracetamol we consume are not those actually found in these plants but are chemically derived from the natural plant.
    outlander likes this.

Greetings Coote,
    I got a copy about 1965 and carried it around in my pack for years until it disintegrated. Never saw another one until my dearly beloved brought me back a discarded Library copy about 10 years ago. A great little book, delightfully non PC by today's standards, but well worth reading and hanging onto. There is a whole chapter on Living of the Land. Bumblefoot would likely approve.
    Grandpamac.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    I believe that Rangiora leaves, which have a soft downy underside, were known as bushman's toilet paper in earlier times. Probably best picked as required though with a short use by date if hoarded.
    Grandpamac.
    I live 20 mins from Rangiora and have always considered it a bit of a shit hole - so even if it isn't that, it's close by being a dunny roll !

Good on you Grandpamac

I think I might still have my original copy somewhere, but I found another at the local Founders Book Fair

norsk, ROKTOY and Finnwolf like this.

Greetings Coote,
    I see yours is an early copy probably the same as my first copy. After yours was printed there were 5 more reprints before a limited revision in 1978. The revision seems to be limited to the replacement of the section on Mountain and Bush Huts with one on exposure and the addition of one on Helicopters. A little bit of useless information for the Trivia minded.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Greetings All,
    We all know the tags we use to describe our favored sport ie Armed Tramping, Tea Drinking etc. Perhaps for a more PC version of hunting we could use Armed Social Distancing or Social Distancing and Forest Bathing with a Rifle or some such. What do you think?
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Max Headroom likes this.

Greetings Max and Phil,
    Iv'e just been up at my Social Distancing Bench Rest behind the house to check the zero on a couple of rifles. Later I may prep some cases at my Self Isolation Loading Bench. I imagine if I leave the door open that would be a Social Distancing Loading Bench. Thanks for your suggestion of Naked Hunter Phil. My distant ancestors used to hunt wearing a couple of metres of tartan cloth, a belt and little of anything else. I suppose that would be a Semi Naked Tartan Wearing Hunter. Our Clan has a rather nice dark green hunting tartan and I always thought about having a kilt made in it for hunting. I don't think I would go as far as my ancestors. As you said social distancing would not have been a problem for them.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Moa Hunter and Phil_H like this.

Greetings All,
    Well it has happened. 11:59 PM tonight the drawbridge will be pulled up and the Good Ship New Zealand will bob along by itself in the South Pacific isolated to an extent from the rest of the planet. Based on what I have read on the Forum and especially this thread I think that hunters and outdoor people are in pretty good shape to make the best of it. Meat in the freezer and some vegetables in the garden means we are insulated to an extent from the effects of the numb scull panic buyers. Consuming interest in our sport and hobbies means we are unlikely to sit around feeling sorry for ourselves and we all know what to do with an unexpected day off. As a Government certified old bastard I have seen a few tough periods including being laid off at one time and it always gets better. This one may be the toughest any of us have seen to date but it too will end. Just keep calm and carry on hunting and gardening and making sausages and, well you know the rest.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Yep Grandpamac, this too shall pass.

I stopped regularly reading the news and watching the TV many years ago. I may sometimes scan the headlines on the internet, but I find it best not to become immersed in world thought. I firmly believe that our thinking affects/creates the 'reality' that we experience. What we focus on grows in our experience. What we resist, persists.

You seem to have a good sense of humour. That is so important for your own well-being, and for the upliftment and encouragement of those around you.

Keep posting !!!
    Phil_H and grandpamac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    Good on you Grandpamac

I think I might still have my original copy somewhere, but I found another at the local Founders Book Fair

Still carry mine in the top pocket of my pack, got it as a birthday present in 1966 while living in Nelson (from memory.) and it looks just like the one in your picture.
    norsk and Coote like this.

Greetings All,
    Well here we are, confined to barracks by order of the PM due to being an old codger. Sitting here on our small holding (8 ha) with a rifle cupboard full of unfinished let alone yet to be started projects plenty of components. I am interpreting the 50 km to the Lakes Road car park as not amounting to travel within NZ, week days of course. I think I am looking forward to it. How about you?
    Grandpamac.
    mrs dundee likes this.

Went into Lockdown Level 4 Nanna Mode yesterday..... 8 jars of apple/chilli chutney, started 2 more jars of apple cider vinegar and strained off the elderflower, garlic, thyme and peppercorn infused apple cider vinegar I made in December... Fencing and writing today....... Oh; and a sumac seasoned goat leg in the slow cooker....

Lockdown is pretty much just another day for me. Work-wise; I can still do interviews for my articles but they have to be phone or video and I have to ask the farmers to supply the photos.

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  313.4 KB
    The start of apple cider vinegar

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  409.6 KB
    Sumac seasoned goat leg in the slow cooker

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  241.3 KB
    NRT, Moa Hunter, Phil_H and 1 others like this.

After 4 days the first batch of apple cider vinegar is beginning to ferment :-)

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  375.8 KB

This thread will be a god send to some folk on here, in the coming months.
    Set forth and bottled the neighbors apple tree, today. ( being sure to keep social distancing rules in force of course.)
    So we have 10 kg of fresh apples in the fridge for immediate use and a dozen jars that usually keep us going through the winter, Fejoas are coming along and there is a plethora of recipes out there for chutney's and bottling.
    We did have the intention to make apple cider ( me and the neighbor ) but i will have to leave that to him now, hopefully in 3 or 4 weeks there will be a bunch of bottles sitting on my door step.
    I must search out my little orange book too!
    Good work on the apple cider vinegar i hadnt factored that in, I could make some from the peelings from the preserving today!
    Last edited by johnd; 27-03-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    bumblefoot and grandpamac like this.