Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree1306Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

That was a great interview. Hopefully it will inspire someone, somewhere to grow some veggies or to learn more about hunting. The world needs more of this down-to-earth approach to living.

We've got quite a bit in common... you are the first person I've come across who eats broad bean greens (other than my wife and I).... and I once had the hots for Felicity Kendall.

Your warmth and enthusiasm are obvious. Folks like you must be helping to make the world a better place. Good on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Is that a bunch of 'Fartichoke greens in you arms Bumblefoot ?
    Sure are; the pigs and ducks love the leafy tops
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Thanks for the kind words Coote. I just bumble and fumble my way through life. At my age not so much of the fumbling!
    Coote likes this.

HOO
    Is the no knead bread similar to a Boule? It’s a French style bread I used to make a lot of. Leave it overnight and make rolled balls into “gluten cloaks” I think they were called. Was beautiful bread. I should get back into making it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOO
    https://www.hummingbirdhigh.com/2013...boule.html?m=1

Pretty sure this was the recipe I used to make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Phil_H likes this.

I needed a new chainsaw a while ago. I use my dad's old Jonserad, brilliant chainsaw but too heavy and dicey to use if you're limbing up a ladder etc. I asked the guy in the repair place what he recommended as a good smaller saw. He is super straight up and honest.

He recommended the Japanese Shindaiwa. He used to sell them and reckoned they fly under the radar, he said that even the good brands build their smaller chainsaws to a lesser standard; and their really wasn't much difference between them and the el cheapo Bunnings chainsaws. Whereas Shindaiwa always build them to the same specs as their big ones.
    Gotta say it punches well above it's weight. Chews through stuff and uses bugger all gas. I'm really pleased with it.
    308, Ross Nolan and Phil_H like this.

Tony, the repairer has just retired....... He was a great service man. I bought the Sbindaiwa on special; was around the $390-400 mark. He used to sharpen the chain for $10..... Replaced my lawnmower engine with a good, more powerful motor when the old one crapped out, and serviced it for $120!

Greetings,
    Totally agree Bumblefoot. I have 2 Shindaiwa chainsaws that are great. The 18 inch one replaced my old Husky when it crapped out. the chainsaw chap recommended Shindaiwa ahead of the cheaper Husqvavarna saws. It really made cutting up the trunks of some big trees we had had felled easy. Later I was at the chainsaw place for something else but came home with a top handle Shindaiwa with a 10 inch bar. Man is it great for cutting up the smaller stuff especially for us older codgers who do not bend in the middle as much as we used to. These days it does more than 50% of the work.
    Grandpamac.
    bumblefoot, Moa Hunter and Phil_H like this.

I find that hanging bucket inside a rubbish bin works best as that way the chooks get all the maggots. Any that drop out during the night wriggle away to pupate I find that a hare or possum is used up in about 7-days in summer. All that's left is fur and bones. Here's a vid of it

https://www.facebook.com/ross.nolly/...85514844824227
    Moa Hunter, Russian 22. and Phil_H like this.

You guys.... I'm impressed. Pity I don't have chooks. Its fantastic that you fool the flies into breeding, yet they will not be contributing to a growth in the fly population. Nice video Bumblefoot.... and one of the cleanest and tidiest hen houses I've seen in my life. Also, please compliment your rooster on his good manners.

A man could set one of these buckets up at the end of a wharf or over a pond to feed and attract fish.... and to help thwart the fly population.
    Moa Hunter, Russian 22. and Phil_H like this.

Yup; it's done a lot in Asia. I've also seen people make a fake small island in their pond with a solar light on it. The moths are attracted and a fair percentage end up in the drink; fish food
    Moa Hunter and Phil_H like this.

Well, dang. I didn't know that. Makes perfect sense though. It is kinda win-win unless you are a maggot or a moth.

If you lived at the North Pole you'd stand vertically. At the South Pole you'd be upside down. But you live in between... thus you are horizontal.
    Moa Hunter and Phil_H like this.

We are currently picking our second crop of French Sugar figs. We have to pick them a bit early if we want to minimise bird damage. Unfortunately the tree is located in an area where it is too dangerous to shoot into it, so I don't.... much as I'd love to. Danged sparrows in particular get into our fruit and greens.

We've eaten a lot of figs now, so I think it is time to dehydrate some. While these would keep well for when the fig season is finished, it is unlikely that we will be unable to resist eating them more or less immediately.

i planted 10 tomato plants for the mrs, got bugga all off them this year (well enough to keep her happy). chili plants failed miserably too. interestingly the neighbours plants plants across his back fence had similar issues.
    at least i got a sack of spuds out of the patch this year so that keeps me happy.