Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree1306Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

Fun fact: tomato, potato, gooseberry, tobacco, nightshade, devils trumpet, datura etc.... are members of the Solanum (Solanaceae) family.
    Which explains why their can be a certain toxic and hallucinogen properties around some of them at times.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Fun fact: tomato, potato, gooseberry, tobacco, nightshade, devils trumpet, datura etc.... are members of the Solanum (Solanaceae) family.
    Which explains why their can be a certain toxic and hallucinogen properties around some of them at times.
    smoke gunpowder and blow your mind !!

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    tomatoes are actually a fruit of the nightshade family
    Hate to have to tell you this gonetropo but potatoes and peppers are part of the nightshade family as well. Hope you will still eat them.
    Regards Grandpamac.

and Cucumbers are fruit... mind ... blown.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    and Cucumbers are fruit... mind ... blown.
    frute/vege same thing
    both evil

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    frute/vege same thing
    both evil
    You are not anti vege it seems just antigreen which may not be so bad after all. As for the 'frute' above do you mean 'jobby jabbers'?

We've had our spuds decimated by the deer, well at least the foliage. Always thought deer wouldn't eat such things. The rhubarb gets hammered to.

If those Stewart Island Whitetail eat seaweed, its possible they'll eat anything

I hate to sound like one of those tossers who starts and then spams a thread with self promotion. but....... I have just started a YouTube channel looking at self sufficiency, gardening, some hunting and fishing, cooking and interviews with interesting people in the rural sector and those living self sufficient lifestyles. I will also be embarking on a weight loss journey and documenting it. The channel will show the successes as well as the failures; warts and all.....

I am a qualified butcher and have worked as a freelance photojournalist since 2006. So there will be butchery tips as well as photography tips if viewers would like them. Anyway; that's the first and only time I'll spam this thread! And of course; feel free to subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4H...kFDd_koBfOOSdg
    Last edited by bumblefoot; 13-12-2020 at 07:05 PM.
    bunji, Phil_H, grandpamac and 1 others like this.

MSL
    What a tosser...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bumblefoot and Moa Hunter like this.

Good on you. Your useful and wholesome content will do a lot of good.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I hate to sound like one of those tossers who starts and then spams a thread with self promotion. but....... I have just started a YouTube channel looking at self sufficiency, gardening, some hunting and fishing, cooking and interviews with interesting people in the rural sector and those living self sufficient lifestyles. I will also be embarking on a weight loss journey and documenting it. The channel will show the successes as well as the failures; warts and all.....

I am a qualified butcher and have worked as a freelance photojournalist since 2006. So there will be butchery tips as well as photography tips if viewers would like them. Anyway; that's the first and only time I'll spam this thread! And of course; feel free to subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4H...kFDd_koBfOOSdg
    Greetings Bumblefoot,
    Ticks all the boxes for me, including the weight loss. My garden looks a bit like yours but without the livestock. There are Californian Quail and Hares though. Must give some of Phil's recipes a go.
    Keep it up Grandpamac.
    bumblefoot and Moa Hunter like this.

I've only got the 2 pigs to eat the grass at the moment. I dropped all the front perimeter fences to build new sheep-proof ones and a week later broke the ankle. I've only just getting back to getting posts in the ground; but can still only do a few hours work on the ankle per day. I did 4 days hard fencing; digging posts and strainers in, putting up rails and netting; and needed 3 days to recover. It's amazing how much fitness and muscle tone I've lost since doing the ankle. 7-weeks of sitting around and about 8-weeks of being able to do little on it! After the fencing I walked along as though I was the hunchback of Notre Dame impersonating Charlie Chaplin who had just peed his pants!
    rugerman likes this.

Well got put for my first hunt yesterday since breaking the ankle in late July. A decent pair of boots this time; no 4x4 gummies! It was just a practice run to see how it held up while I went out to get a goat. Only took a nanny as that's all I could comfortably carry out as balance (and confidence on it) still isn't great. Sure; it's not 12-point red stag, but it's the first step to getting back to living off the land

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  783.3 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  729.4 KB

The goat hanging in the cool of the chestnut tree. It's hanging on the eastern side in the shade and the cooling breeze pretty much makes it a meat safe/chiller. It's now wrapped in a sheet to keep the flies off. I also kept the kidneys, liver and heart
    Tahr, veitnamcam, doinit and 8 others like this.

Went out for a hunt last Friday; 4 days after my last hunt. The goal was to help a friend get her first goat. She eats meat and wanted to be able to harvest her own. She has shot rats and a rabbit with her scoped air rifle. I was going to take her out last year; but Covid and then the busted ankle put paid to that idea. So we finally got out and she got her goat with my 223.

It really surprised me how stressed I was! It wasn't until she'd dropped the goat that I noticed how relieved I was. I wanted it to go well; clinically and clean. And that was exactly how it happened. Her range of emotions was amazing. Really nervous about doing it right, the shakes before the shot, absolute calm taking the shot, and then shaking like a leaf and nearly crying from relief after pulling it off extremely well. Also the realisation of what she'd done; a tad sorry for the goat, proud that she'd done it, relief etc etc....

Now she can't wait to go again, she loved it! A couple of days later she came back to learn how to skin it and cut it up. She cooked heart and liver the day after the hunt. She first never thought she'd eat them, but decided to try it. The next evening I had a txt come through that said "Heart and liver are yum! Even the kids loved it"..... We are going to tan the skin too.

She triumphantly dragged it all the way to the car. She was absolutely determined to get it out; and was fuelled by adrenalin! It's the easiest carry I've ever done

I loved the entire experience and am still on a bit of a high over it.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  5.96 MB
    doinit, Scouser, Beaker and 10 others like this.