Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree1306Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

Thanks all, love the tips and tricks. I tried to make a go of it many years ago but didn’t have the same resources and opportunities to make it work.
    I will have a look later tonight bumblefoot, will be good to see what you have set up. I’m going to get some greens going this weekend even if I have to grow a couple inside where it’s warm. Lettuce at the moment is close to $5 which I just cannot justify.
    We have started the journey this week to become more self sufficient and hubby is on board so far, he was pretty happy with a big steak lunch as opposed to noodles and chicken chips which is his usual quick go to.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    @Chelsea I grow as many greens as possible as I reckon they give you the best bang for buck. I eat sorta Keto-ish so don't eat a lot of carbs but will be putting a few spuds in. I just try to grow the easier veges. Here's a quick tour of my place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tkINzQHjFM&t=450s
    rule #1 : if its green its mean! ..................eeuwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    rule #1 : if its green its mean! ..................eeuwwwww
    Hahahahaha I used to live by this after I choked on a spinach leaf. Then you have kids and apparently greens are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    Hahahahaha I used to live by this after I choked on a spinach leaf. Then you have kids and apparently greens are good.
    nope no kids, i got fixed when i was in my early 20's to avoid any accidents.
    therefore vege is still evil
    MB likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    nope no kids, i got fixed when i was in my early 20's to avoid any accidents.
    Smart move.

@Chelsea The best bit of advice is to go slowly and chip away at your gardening/self sufficiency goals, The biggest mistake is to go too big; everything gets away, and you become disillusioned
    Micky Duck likes this.

They are edible and were nice and tart beside the roast meat
    Japonica also make an incredible pink jelly, not quite like the real Quince one but bloody nice with cheese or game meat

Banned
    They are edible and were nice and tart beside the roast meat
    I picked some from a tree at Southern woods nursery and tried cooking them at home. They looked great but I couldnt make anything useful of them, so its interesting that you cracked it. I have plenty of regular quinces but those falses do look good

@Moa Hunter "Normal" quinces make a fantastic jelly! This was the result of a good day foraging, hunter/gathering.... One goat, two barrels of comfrey to plant; 5kg (black bag) coffee grounds for the garden, 5kg quinces (I made into quince jelly) and two bags of quince cuttings to propagate.... Couldn't get the quince cuttings to take though

Name:  quince.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  106.9 KB
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Banned
    @Moa Hunter "Normal" quinces make a fantastic jelly! This was the result of a good day foraging, hunter/gathering.... One goat, two barrels of comfrey to plant; 5kg (black bag) coffee grounds for the garden, 5kg quinces (I made into quince jelly) and two bags of quince cuttings to propagate.... Couldn't get the quince cuttings to take though

Attachment 171770
    Often there are 'suckers' around the base of Quince trees, inspect below ground for roots and then tear them off the tree if they are rooted. They can be layered if they dont have roots. I have some here ready to graft pears onto. I like quince stewed with apple or in mixed fruit pies
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

Attachment 171770
    OMG!!! You shot Barefoot's 'Bouncy"!!!

(over on trailcam pics thread)

Roast venison neck straight out of the oven ready to go in the crockpot to cook overnight for soup...
    Name:  Neck.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  831.4 KB

The end result of a deer neck cooked overnight in the crockpot? Half a bowl of stock ready to be made into soup
    Name:  Soup.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  894.4 KB

A tip from a butcher (me!) on how to upgrade a soup on a budget. Get a small pack of sausages (pork in this case), slit the skins and fold the sausage meat out using wet hands. Make the meat into small meatballs, fry them and biff them in the soup. Use wet hands to roll out the meatballs in the palms of your hands
    Name:  Soup 1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  63.0 KB

Venison, pork meatball, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, leek, mizuna, purple mustard, kale soup. Flavoured with, star anise, cinnamon stick, Sichuan pepper, bay leaves, lemongrass and cardamom.
    Name:  Soup 2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  53.9 KB

Venison for dinner!

Name:  DEER.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  1.14 MB
    Micky Duck, MB, Swanny and 3 others like this.

Thanks for all the interesting posts and great photos. Nice to browse through....

The deer was in helluva good nick...

Name:  DEER.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  933.2 KB
    Beaker, tamamutu, berg243 and 4 others like this.