Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree1310Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

Wild nanny goat shoulder after 4 hours in the crockpot. Super tender..... Was cooked on halved onions and stock. Flavoured with salt pepper, cinnamon, chilli flakes and thyme...

Name:  shoulder 1.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  109.0 KB

Slow cooked wild goat shoulder and onions with roast spuds, puha and gravy...

Name:  Dinner.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  120.6 KB
    308, Mrs Beeman and Sidetrack like this.

I've been driving past a nice patch of watercress for the last day or so. That photo makes me think some pork bone boilup might be on next week's menu

Every few days I kick over the old weed piles in the duck pen so the ducks can eat the worms and bugs. The ducks are far better layers than chickens..

Name:  ducks 1.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  296.2 KB

Growing your own also applies to animals. I just thought I'd post this because it's pretty cool... Candling a Dorking egg from the incubator with a torch on Day 12 to see if it is fertile. The embryo and veins are clearly showing in it. The eggs take 21 days to incubate. It's pretty amazing to think that it will go from this to hatching in 9 more days! Nature is pretty wonderful...

Name:  candle.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  25.9 KB

great photos thanks. Interesting that the ducks are better layers. Duck eggs are certainly good to eat and I've heard they can be better for baking. What about pavlovas I wonder?

I'm not sure; never made a pav!

Pro's....The ducks are far more reliable layers. Plus the infrastructure is simpler. You only need a standard 1.2m fence because they don't fly, they don't get mites, and you don't need a flash house. I just screw 2 pallets together to form an A-frame and cable tie a tarp over it. Plus their paddling water is fantastic fertiliser. They only need a clam shell type paddling pool to splash around in. I bail the water every few days and put it into plastic rubbish bins to use as fertiliser on the veges. I get 5-8 eggs per day from the 8 ducks. Usually 6+

Cons... They are noisy and messy. And they eat about 50% more than chooks.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    great photos thanks. Interesting that the ducks are better layers. Duck eggs are certainly good to eat and I've heard they can be better for baking. What about pavlovas I wonder?
    i think its the yolk to white ratio
    more yolk less white

if you are short on eggs when baking, blood can also make a suitable substitute

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    i think its the yolk to white ratio more yolk less white if you are short on eggs when baking, blood can also make a suitable substitute
    Yeah; it's called a black pudding....
    Micky Duck likes this.

"if you are short on eggs when baking, blood can also make a suitable substitute". Heh... dunno how well that would be accepted in my household. And I imagine that pavlovas would look a little less traditional. It would be nutritious though. Hmmmm..... Might have to replace my pig knife with a sharp tube and a hose attached to a CamelBak pack.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Just a short wild rabbit pie slideshow and video

Braised wild rabbit, bacon, mushroom, leek, onion, cherry tomato and chickweed pie - (catch and cook)

The stock was flavoured with bay leaves, thyme, Worstershire sauce, cinnamon stick, garlic, ginger, ground cloves and a star anise pod. Being cooked on a bed of onions and leeks.
    The pie made with; wild rabbit, bacon, mushroom, leek, onion, cherry tomato and chickweed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6sFgT3zRQ
    Moa Hunter and Coote like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Just a short wild rabbit pie slideshow and video

Braised wild rabbit, bacon, mushroom, leek, onion, cherry tomato and chickweed pie - (catch and cook)

The stock was flavoured with bay leaves, thyme, Worstershire sauce, cinnamon stick, garlic, ginger, ground cloves and a star anise pod. Being cooked on a bed of onions and leeks.
    The pie made with; wild rabbit, bacon, mushroom, leek, onion, cherry tomato and chickweed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6sFgT3zRQ
    That's one classy pie !

Thank you for the great thread bumlefoot. Nice to see it continue as an inspiration to us all.
    By the end of next year we should have our place sorted as best we can but even at the stage we’re at now has seen us get through the last three years without so much as a twitch. I’ll be much happier when the permanent gardens and tunnel houses are in but some more building work needs to be completed first.
    A coastal aspect has its challenges, still a great growing area, just needs adequate wind protection. Trying to decide on the right fruit trees for the environment has taken a bit of research but managed to narrow it down to a good handful. It will be a plant and see I think. Anyway, keeps me busy and frankly, don’t know how I ever had time for work

I reckon the best part of being a bit more self sufficient, which anyone can do anywhere, is that you gain a sense of control over your life and the great deal of self satisfaction in doing shit for yourself and/or family. Carry on the good work.
    Cheers, Sidetrack
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

@Sidetrack Thanks for the kind words. As an aside; I see you live down the Catlins. Used to visit the Catlins twice a year when I was doing nature photography. Very nearly moved there!
    CATLINS HUNTER and Sidetrack like this.

Yes I know; just another goat.... But they keep the freezer full and it's a beautifully fat goat. All the goats from this valley always seem to be as fat as mud. Took a mate and his stepson out for their first goat hunt yesterday. Missed an absolute sitter... It's bad enough doing a duff shot, let alone making a duff shot in front of others! Redeemed myself in the next spot... Phew..... The little Howa Mini 223 keeping the freezer full as usual

Name:  goat 1.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  468.5 KB
    Tahr, Trout, 308 and 5 others like this.