Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

tell you something....if you worked out courier options and prices I believe your skin tanning skills would be sought after....far nicer to support the "little fella" doing the job and know its being done carefully by hand.... one of these days I will manage to knock over a pretty fallow and tan its hide.
    bumblefoot likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Greetings @bumblefoot,
    I thought you might enjoy this picture.
    Name:  001 (2).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  197.8 KB
    The gentleman on the left is my great grandfather James, aged in his early seventies. He was retired and looked after the chooks and vegetable garden. The little chap in the picture is my father Iain aged about 4 and the lady is my great Grandmother Harriet. The picture was taken about 1926.
    Regards Grandpamac.

@grandpamac What an awesome photo! Your great grandad was blimmin' tall! He coupld have been a hops harvester and not need the ladder!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yes the tall gene does pop up from time to time. Dad and his brother were little chaps. James son Bert was tall like his dad. My son and I are (or was in my case) over 6 feet but my grandson towers over all of us, even at 17.
    GPM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Something other than a goat hanging on the washing line today. My 2 spare bantam pullets went off to a new home today, and the spare bantam cockerel into the fridge. If you breed chooks you need a plan for the extra cockerels... I'll spatchcock it and cook it in a covered frying pan

Name:  line.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  132.4 KB

Name:  hand.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  87.3 KB

having plucked many many chooks neat job mate

@Barry the hunter Thanks. the trick is to have the water at 63C and a to have a drop of dishwashing liquid in it too
    Swanny likes this.

This is my usual set up if I have a few to do. The aim is to keep everything as clean as possible and to prevent any cross contamination. I always pluck them while they're hanging on the line. Nothing worse than seeing them be plucked on the same table as where they're cleaned and processed. Talk about germ city...

Name:  process.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  77.4 KB
    Marty Henry and Ned like this.

Another tanned wild goat skin that is broken and nearly ready for sanding Still trying to make use of as much of the goats as possible. I'm now tending to pick out the goats with the nicely coloured skins that would make nice tanned skins.

Name:  skin.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  1.23 MB

Name:  skin1.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  1.27 MB
    rugerman, MB, Swanny and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Another tanned wild goat skin that is broken and nearly ready for sanding Still trying to make use of as much of the goats as possible. I'm now tending to pick out the goats with the nicely coloured skins that would make nice tanned skins.

Attachment 250644

Attachment 250645
    You get twice the buck for your bang then.
    GPM.
    Marty Henry, bumblefoot and Ned like this.

I pluck my ducks directly into the otto/wheelie bin...when they are all done,off with wings n feet and head,then its line em up for quick blast with LPG torch to singe and left over fluff and then and only then do they get opened up for gutting. agree that is a tidy plucking job.
    funny the easiest way to pluck any bird is straight after they die..ducks plucked as walk along jump shooting are always clean job.

@Micky Duck When I do my domestic ducks (straight after killing) I use a bog standard dishwash brush to get the downy feathers off. Wouldn't work with cold ducks I'd say. But brilliant with warm ones. Then I stick a little meths in a tin foil tray, light it, and singe any whispy hair like feathers by rotating the bird through the flame
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.

we used to use rolled up newspaper.....then graduated to using the LPG cooker....then graduated to a plumbers torch.....now gone next level and use the pig singe attachment......the flame itself works good,but then you back off close to a meter and hit the turbo button and instant down be gone as well as a light skin shrinking and slight colouring up.

Preparing a brine to cure the goat legs and shoulders from the goat I shot yesterday.... Made with salt, raw sugar, cinnamon, mustard seeds, peppercorns, whole allspice, ground ginger, cloves, a litlle bit of mixed spice, whole cloves, thyme & and bay leaves.

Name:  brine.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  899.7 KB

Is this brine to corn the meat ?