Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree1310Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

I was away from my property caring for ill parents for about 6 years. Used to travel back and forth from New Plymouth each day. Now I've finally got the boundary fence secured and am able to let the pigs into the front paddock to clear the convolvulus that has gone nuts in it. Hopefully I'll be getting some sheep soon, so will have another supply of meat.

"Using pigs to help clear convolvulus" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTvnTSgNkfA
    Micky Duck likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Venison stock that has been cooked for 36 hours to release the collagen and chondroitin from the bones. It's now been strained twice and ready to be made into soup

Attachment 199556
    How well do you think the collagen hydrolizes ? It is not really possible to mimic the industrial process at home. I have not tried acetic acid (vinegar) myself - good idea
    bumblefoot likes this.

I can only go by what I've read. But it sure makes good stock. I often simmer the bones for 36 hours; then throw them to the chooks. The bones crumble like chalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I was away from my property caring for ill parents for about 6 years. Used to travel back and forth from New Plymouth each day. Now I've finally got the boundary fence secured and am able to let the pigs into the front paddock to clear the convolvulus that has gone nuts in it. Hopefully I'll be getting some sheep soon, so will have another supply of meat.

"Using pigs to help clear convolvulus" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTvnTSgNkfA
    Post another vid once they have finished in there. I would like to see how well they clean it up. Cheers.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

@Tahr I'm still going to have to selectively spot spray the new growth with Banvine as the roots will still be there. But the mass growth has ben knocked down. It'll be interesting to see how much sprouts in spring
    Tahr likes this.

Now that the chooks are producing again it's time to make some Chinese tea marinated marbled eggs https://omnivorescookbook.com/chinese-tea-eggs/

Name:  eggs.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  348.2 KB
    Daithi likes this.

Wow. Never come across this before. Are they cooked eggs with a crack in the shells? Good stuff Bumblefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    Wow. Never come across this before. Are they cooked eggs with a crack in the shells? Good stuff Bumblefoot.
    Yup; they're really nice for a snack or to put into a salad. I put the recipe link in the post

Thanks. Eggs would be one of the last foods I'd ever want to give up. Love them.

Banned
    @Tahr I'm still going to have to selectively spot spray the new growth with Banvine as the roots will still be there. But the mass growth has ben knocked down. It'll be interesting to see how much sprouts in spring
    Perhaps Kuni's aren't the best choice alone and they need the company of another breed that will dig up the roots? I did read that pigs love the roots

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Perhaps Kuni's aren't the best choice alone and they need the company of another breed that will dig up the roots? I did read that pigs love the roots
    Possibly, but you only need one minute piece of root for it to regrow. Many if the roots come from behind the fence and amongst fruit trees etc that would be ruined by pigs

Everything except the hummus, tomatoes and peanuts off the property or hunted

Name:  dinner.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  197.6 KB

Another great photo.
    bumblefoot likes this.

update on the pigs vs schrubbery ???????
    funny the Mrs has allowed our four chooks into the vege garden for a few hours each day to get rid of weeds etc before we have another go at planting it... oxyalis and cooch/twitch are a right mongrel to get rid of...have though we had it beaten twice only for it to come back.... my roundup gardening skills dont have a place in the vege garden so anything to keep the manual side of the labour down is good.
    speaking of chooks.... they go nuts over lawn clippings,the mower comes out and they start pacing waiting for some clippings,there just has to be a marraige made in heaven..commercial lawn mowing contractors and the guys with thousands of free range chooks..... rather than paying to dump green waste/clippings,wouldnt it be great if could turn up however often and tip trailer load in paddock for the chooks... it would be mayhem..feathers flying everywhere as they got it for a good scoff session.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The convolvuls hasn't sprouted yet. This is an interesting vid on raising chooks on compost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWChH9MHkHg
    Last edited by bumblefoot; 23-09-2022 at 09:50 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.