Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Darwin is getting slow in his old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    But you did write it, quite clearly.

This thread was good until your little spat.
    I rearranged an insult he used on me (twice) to reflect my feelings on his posts, and tried to make the point that only arseholes need to resort to insults. No doubt there's a nicer way I could have put it, but I can't edit now.
    Ryan, big_foot and res like this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    Where in the definition of massacre does it include that it had to be caused by a firearm?
    Ye gawds, you're not studying to be a lawyer are you ?

This is a thread about a gun related death.

The youtube clip was specifically about gun control, and I think it is safe to say that he meant gun related massacre, they did afterall introduce gun controls in Aus, not bans on matches, knives, motor vehicles, tsunamis or a horde of other things that may or may not cause massacres.

And if you think only people that are ignorant about firearms are pro gun-control I think you make a big mistake. I have been around firearms most my life, used them in military service, carried a concealed firearm for many years, and have competed in several competitive shooting codes, yet I am not opposed to gun control or firearm restrictions...
    Savage1, EeeBees, Dougie and 2 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I can see this thread getting ugly.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    If it gets just an smigum worse, I'll edit it.

Definition of Smigum = Bugger all, not much , a very small amount.
    DAF, veitnamcam, BRADS and 2 others like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Ye gawds, you're not studying to be a lawyer are you ?

This is a thread about a gun related death.

The youtube clip was specifically about gun control, and I think it is safe to say that he meant gun related massacre, they did afterall introduce gun controls in Aus, not bans on matches, knives, motor vehicles, tsunamis or a horde of other things that may or may not cause massacres.

And if you think only people that are ignorant about firearms are pro gun-control I think you make a big mistake. I have been around firearms most my life, used them in military service, carried a concealed firearm for many years, and have competed in several competitive shooting codes, yet I am not opposed to gun control or firearm restrictions...
    Maybe he did mean gun related massacres, but that's not what he said. Even if it's what he meant it still wasn't true.

I don't think that only people that are ignorant about firearms are pro gun-control, but I do think a lot of people that are pro gun-control have based their views on ignorance.
    If you've gathered the information, have experience, then reach a conclusion based on those things, your opinion is very valid, whatever it is.
    Savage1, ebf and steven like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    That is fantastic...love the bit about the musket...

He did get it abit wrong...they banned semi autos...
    gadgetman likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Jim Jeffries looks like another Jim I know @Pointer

My early impressions of all americans were typical vietnam movie GI's and southern red necks you see in movies mixed in with everything you see on TV.

When i first went to mainland USA (not the Island in the pacific), I went to Greeley Colorado, and everyone i met was exceptionally nice and polite, wow, friendlier place than NZ!
    I decided one weekend to pop up to the Rocky mountains to visit the Stanley Hotel where the movie the Shining was filmed, just in case there were some real Crazies up there, nope, still full of nice kind people...

Oh how my perception of Yanks changed!

Maybe all the nutters are in Hollywood...
    Grant
    Name:  Greeley_sign1.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  16.2 KBName:  The-Stanley-Hotel-The-Shining-520.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  38.7 KB
    Dundee, kiwijames and BRADS like this.

That Jim Jeffries skit was funny & it made me laugh, however he has a notable political agenda on gun control. It's a shame most of it was misinformation & lies. For example there was a huge increase in gun crimes since the semi-auto ban in Australia. According to stats it was up 60% since the ban

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    It's a shame most of it was misinformation & lies. For example there was a huge increase in gun crimes since the semi-auto ban in Australia. According to stats it was up 60% since the ban
    Can you please post a link to the source of your info ?

I seem to be getting some different info...

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia

Total Aus gun deaths 1996 : 516
    Total Aus gun deaths 2011 : 188

And here:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_p...s_in_Australia

I believe gun related death in Australia was declining before the bans. Gun related crime may well have increased. Just like in the US, gun violence has been measurably declining for some time, despite legislation for or against guns, and what the doomsayers report.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I believe gun related death in Australia was declining before the bans. Gun related crime may well have increased.
    Your first sentence is not supported by hard facts Beavis.

If you look at total gun deaths per 100k population from 79 thru to 96, it was always close to or above 3, with a peak of 4.5 in 82.

Since the ban in 96, total gun deaths has shown as rapid and increased decline. It dropped below 2 in 98, and was below 1 in 2011.

If you can find any stats or numbers to back your claims about gun crime, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Also, how can gun related crime increase but gun related violence decrease. Please explain that to me...
    steven likes this.

I tend to stick to "read only" when threads get heavy but the readings going around in circles a little bit, I like some had a good laugh at the skit but thats all it was worth. He had an obvious political agenda that he was trying to push with a bit of humour, trying to do the old "spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down".

When stricter gun controls are introduced gun crime goes up, purely because what was ok yesterday is not ok today, this is despite the fact that gun related violence goes down. Im not good at explaining this shit (hence the first sentence in this post) but can you catch my drift?
    veitnamcam and Sasquatch like this.

http://www.ic-wish.org/Gun%20related...20happened.pdf statistics http://www.ic-wish.org/Fact%20sheet%...per%20Year.pdf

Crime and death/homicide/whatever you will (violence is a pretty broad term), aren't always the same thing. My statement that gun crime may have increased is not based on any facts I have read, rather a casual comment.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunzter View Post
    My early impressions of all americans were typical vietnam movie GI's and southern red necks you see in movies mixed in with everything you see on TV.

When i first went to mainland USA (not the Island in the pacific), I went to Greeley Colorado, and everyone i met was exceptionally nice and polite, wow, friendlier place than NZ!
    I decided one weekend to pop up to the Rocky mountains to visit the Stanley Hotel where the movie the Shining was filmed, just in case there were some real Crazies up there, nope, still full of nice kind people...

Oh how my perception of Yanks changed!

Maybe all the nutters are in Hollywood...
    Grant
    Attachment 32797Attachment 32798
    I spent a lot of time in Florida (the supposed craziest state of the lot) and the people there were............nice. Nicer than nice really.

I travelled down the PCH from Washington to California and the people were SO nice they did make the ones in Florida look less nice, but overall, all were nice, and polite, and courteous and well mannered and fun and lots of more niceness.
    I think they herd all the less nice ones onto cruise ships and send them south.
    grunzter likes this.