Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Darwin is getting slow in his old age.

ebf
    the chart citation is Alpers, the data it is based on is from the CDC (see earlier reference)
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Having read some bits on gunpolicy its pretty clear there is some considerable cherry picking and presenting of data and opinions in an dis-honest manner. For instance claiming that the drop was x3 v before, yes Ok however that effect only lasted 2 or 3 years then it returned to normal decline trend. Good thing for us of course is when non-gun owners bleat such things we as gun owners can counter their fairy tales. This thread has morfed a bit but I for one have learned a few things.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    ‘Firearm-Related Deaths .
    Always be sceptical of any "related death" depending on the data gatherer's particular bent, could mean fell down the stairs and broke a neck and police found a firearm in the house( ridiculous example of course but you get my drift)

Death by firearm would be a lot more specific.
    ebf and steven like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

regardless gents -If you walk round with a dangerous weapon,be it martial art skills .knives a dog(or starved leopard on a bloody short leash)or a loaded firearm -one fact is inescapable -YOU are in control of that weapon- YOU also made a decision as to how it may be packaged in a state of readiness, YOU make the decision to use it.
    in accordance with newtons third law _"every action has an opposite equal reaction" if you take your eye off the ball(youre fucking careless) the great shit bombis gonna land squarely on you ,unfortunately often a fatal impact!!
    alas ,we in NZ are not immune as we well know,altho thank christ we dont have tragedies of this type very often.still one dead firearms owner or victim is still one too many IMHO.
    stumpy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    regardless gents -If you walk round with a dangerous weapon,be it martial art skills .knives a dog(or starved leopard on a bloody short leash)or a loaded firearm -one fact is inescapable -YOU are in control of that weapon- YOU also made a decision as to how it may be packaged in a state of readiness, YOU make the decision to use it.
    in accordance with newtons third law _"every action has an opposite equal reaction" if you take your eye off the ball(youre fucking careless) the great shit bombis gonna land squarely on you ,unfortunately often a fatal impact!!
    alas ,we in NZ are not immune as we well know,altho thank christ we dont have tragedies of this type very often.still one dead firearms owner or victim is still one too many IMHO.
    I disagree with some of this. Anyone can use a knife, dog, or loaded gun, but it doesn't mean they are in control of it. When the chips are down, they will be a danger to guilty and innocent alike because they won't have the skills to use a weapon effectively in a real life, dangerous situation. This is why a combat experience soldier is far more effective than one that has just finished training.

IMO, a true martial artist (not someone that has done a bit of boxing, kickboxing etc), will have a far greater situational awareness, can react to changing situations, keep focussed enough to 'self coach' under pressure, and most importantly, have an exit strategy. With an advanced level of martial arts skill, people shouldn't be harmed by mistake.

I'd rather not have a starved leopard, 'cause they are a bit bitey scratchy, and even a trained martial artist doesn't want to end up as a pile of cat poo.
    Kscott likes this.

Most martial arts are rubbish and poorly prepare you for fights out side the dojo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Most martial arts are rubbish and poorly prepare you for fights out side the dojo.
    Care to elaborate?

boof,bang,the end
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

It's dancing. When you add stress from a fight you can't remember your dance moves. Cunts use bottles and sticks and shit in real life. I briefly did something that amalgamated karate, some form of Brazilian Jiu jitsu, kick boxing and some other stuff. It was just too much to remember when it came to actually applying it. Half of it seemed useless.

You are dead right. Learn to fight first, then hone your skills in the dojo

It's dancing. When you add stress from a fight you can't remember your dance moves. Cunts use bottles and sticks and shit in real life. I briefly did something that amalgamated karate, some form of Brazilian Jiu jitsu, kick boxing and some other stuff. It was just too much to remember when it came to actually applying it. Half of it seemed useless.
    Sure - it's a plethora of different moves and potential situations to use them, unless you're getting jumped every singly day of your life generally have few opportunities to use them. I can't even remember 90% of what I learned.

That said, when I trained (ages ago now) it improved my fitness (key in a fight), stamina, accuracy and I learned a bit more about body kinetics. Taking hits during sparring improved defensive work and gives one an idea of their strengths and weaknesses, so it wasn't a complete waste of time IMO.
    Yukon likes this.

yukon - my use of control is precisely that be it total control or complete lack of.either way a human decision (conscious /reactive)make the person deploy the weapon- weapons dont usually deploy themselves. The intention to carry a weapon denotes a sense of control.
    as psychiatric nurses we unfortunately have to deal with aggression in various degrees quite frequently.a lot is generated by the fear/flight /fight syndrome,engendered by mental illness ,but deliberate provocation is not uncommon with truculent wiseguys and lassies deciding 'no f...ing nurse is telling me what to do."
    we undergo a weeks course in calming and restraint-theory &practical skills. beleive me at the end most of your joints ache like 40 ba...ds and you marvel how such small women can inflict such pain on uncooperative large men!(only did that once as i kissed the carpet in the blink of an eye.)this is followed up by yearly refreshers. it is based on modified jujitsu Im told and is certainly bloody effective in safely controlling a situation ,but its intended for a 3 person team at minimum.cops &prison officers have been dumbfounded when we execute this with zero protective gear.urine ,shit ,vomit ,cooked food cups of tea ,blood ,used tampons ....ive sween em all used as weapons in addition to other common things ,and they certainly dont make you attractive in anyway ,but thats humanity for you.
    ever see that happen on shortland street -na the only combat there is the implied unsheathing of some donkeys pork sword.
    Yukon likes this.

Sad and avoidable... But, I still believe human beings should be allow to carry a concealed firearm with proper training and if they are mentally fit to do so.
    Banana, hamsav and 7mm-Mag like this.
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

I spent 4 weeks in the USA (2 weeks in New York and the other 2 weeks in Texas) a couple of years ago. No matter where I went, I found the American people to be extremely friendly and hospitable. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again and I would recommend anyone go there.

In my opinion, so long as people have proven themselves to be fit and proper people to own firearms, then why should there be any issue owning any type of firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm-Mag View Post
    I spent 4 weeks in the USA (2 weeks in New York and the other 2 weeks in Texas) a couple of years ago. No matter where I went, I found the American people to be extremely friendly and hospitable. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again and I would recommend anyone go there.

In my opinion, so long as people have proven themselves to be fit and proper people to own firearms, then why should there be any issue owning any type of firearm?
    My thoughts on the topic exactly, It is kind of ludicrous that cosmetic features are deemed "scary" by the government, Even though we have to keep firearms concealed anyway whilst they are being transported so no one sees it anyway. I have never once seen an e-cat on the range and felt any differently towards it than I do to a .22 bolt gun.. Never mind feeling "Scared" of one. It is just ignorance. The same people I wouldn't trust with a firearm are the same people I wouldn't trust around a car either, But they can still go and buy a ferrari for their first car if their funds allow it.
    Sasquatch and 7mm-Mag like this.
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!