Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: E-cat safe confusion

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    I just received an E-cat safe from my local gun store ready for my B and E endorsement.
    the safe that arrived is
    Stag Creek 10 Gun Safe 6mm Steel B-Cat, C-Cat, E-Cat Approved Height: 1500mm Width: 600mm Depth: 400mm

Also on trademe from guncity
    Stag Creek 10-16 Gun Safe 6mm Steel B, C & E-Cat | Trade Me

I paid $800 for it new so am bloody stoked cos it's half retail, although when I ordered it the store mentioned they have been known to receive lightly damaged safes at a discounted price.

But I see in the website it's called a B/C/E cat safe but in the description is only listed as A/B/C and not E.
    I also see that the locks are different from
    Stag Creek 7-10 Gun Safe 6mm Steel B, C & E-Cat | Trade Me

Does the locking mechanism on mine look like it's compliant with E-cat requirements?

And I saw at the local hunting and Fishing that if a safe is over 150kg it doesn't need to be secured?
    I'm going to Dynabolt it to our concrete floor anyway but would like to avoid screwing it to the studs if possible.
    Go back to the gunstore and ask them for an engineers certificate confirming its an E.

A safe ALWAYS has to be secured even a Cat A. For a Cat A the method is a lot lighter (a few bolts) than an E which wants a spreader plate under the floor and secured at 2 points, so wall and floor. talk to your AO he may have "funny" requirements.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I personally like the simple lock mechanisms and not the throw bolts, a lot more reliable. IMHO.

I think people may be confusing dynabolts with concrete screws.
    Tommy likes this.

Anybody in Wellington who can cut a 6mm? steel plate the size of an E cat floor foot print? I might just get one cut to the width of my joist gap.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Anybody in Wellington who can cut a 6mm? steel plate the size of an E cat floor foot print? I might just get one cut to the width of my joist gap.....
    It would be mild steel Id imagine, an angle grinder in your back yard would be the easiest, just buy cheap one from Bunnings and return it if it burns out midway.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    It would be mild steel Id imagine, an angle grinder in your back yard would be the easiest, just buy cheap one from Bunnings and return it if it burns out midway.
    And get the thinnest cutting disc they have, goes through it like butter, I only managed to kill my $20 angle grinder last month. 5 years isn't bad

Hi, oops, sorry I meant supply a 6mm plate cut to the size I specify.

Hi @steven, I'd give these guys a call. I've brought cut 100mm angle from them before so know they are happy to cut, just don't know if they have a variety of plate, should have something though.
    In Vivian street, so handy : Metalworx Engineering

Any of your mates that work for engineers usually have a scrap pile also. I got some 10mm steel for the top of my fireplace that had rusted out for 2 dozen heinekens.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I used 4 x 15mm dynabolts, the person inspecting (young constable I think) the safe wasn't happy that they were not welded over or "chemset" and suggested to me that someone could cut them off with angle grinder. Asked me why I was laughing at him, "this was very very serious".

I asked did he not think if they had managed to get the safe door open to access the bolts then they might as well just grab the guns and bugger off and leave the safe behind!!!! Or did he expect they would want the safe to so they could comply with the storage requirements once they got them!!!
    10/10 Brilliant lol. Maybe the constable new some honest thieves lol
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!