Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Firearm licencing

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    This part of the new laws came into effect yesterday.

General conditions of firearms licence
    (1)
    Every firearms licence is subject to the conditions that the holder of a firearms licence must,—
    (c)
    permit a member of the Police to inspect all firearms in the licence holder’s possession, the place or places where the firearms are or will be kept, and the place or places where the ammunition is or will be kept, and, for those purposes, to enter at all reasonable times upon the premises where that place or those places are situated; and
    "With seven days notice"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    This part of the new laws came into effect yesterday.

General conditions of firearms licence
    (1)
    Every firearms licence is subject to the conditions that the holder of a firearms licence must,—
    (c)
    permit a member of the Police to inspect all firearms in the licence holder’s possession, the place or places where the firearms are or will be kept, and the place or places where the ammunition is or will be kept, and, for those purposes, to enter at all reasonable times upon the premises where that place or those places are situated; and
    Right you are

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    I think the vettor that came round home was a florist. She had absolutely zero knowledge of firearms or security.

A separate lockable compartment is still legal, no matter what the vettors tell you.
    Also it you don't have to remove bolts as they say you do...unless you keep ammo locked up with the firearm (which they still refuse to accept even though its black and white in the Arm Regulations).
    I was told I needed to keep my bolts in a separate locked compartment in a different location, and I keep my ammo in a completely different building. Even after pointing out the exact wording in the regs she still refused to accept it.

2.2.6 Ammunition
    Storage
    1. Licence holders need to take reasonable steps to ensure that
    ammunition is not stored in such a way that a person who obtains
    access to the firearm also obtains access to the ammunition.8
    2. If ammunition is stored with the firearm then the firearm must be
    stored in a way that it cannot be discharged.9 Methods of doing this
    include:
    (a) immobilising the firearm by way of a trigger lock or cable,
    (b) removing the bolt and securing it separately or,
    (c) some other system to ensure that the firearm cannot be fired.
    3. A separate lockable box in a safe, which is itself installed correctly,
    is appropriate for the storage of ammunition.
    4. A separate smaller safe, installed to the same standard as a
    firearms safe, is appropriate for the storage of ammunition.

Attachment 156764

2. The Police will assess storage against the three areas covered in
    Regulation 19(1) which are:
    a) Ensuring that young children do not have access to the
    firearms.
    b) Preventing theft of the firearms.
    c) Ensuring that either; ammunition is not stored with the firearm;
    or that if ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is
    not capable of being discharged.
    the vettor told me the ammo storage rules are goin to change
    seperate compartment in safe or out is gonna be the rule for all soonish

Great news for burglars and Mitre10, we will all go and buy a separate small safe to keep bolts in and any burglar can get in via the key pad or lock hole with a rusty nail and a half eaten banana. The only increase in security is making the baddie play hide and seek for an extra 20 seconds.
    outlander likes this.
    I'd like to verify your clam.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopua Cowboy View Post
    Great news for burglars and Mitre10, we will all go and buy a separate small safe to keep bolts in and any burglar can get in via the key pad or lock hole with a rusty nail and a half eaten banana. The only increase in security is making the baddie play hide and seek for an extra 20 seconds.
    That's not the point of it. The point of it is an embuggerance to you so you give up your license and do something else
    Maca49, 308, Allizdog and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    That's not the point of it. The point of it is an embuggerance to you so you give up your license and do something else
    Exactly.................make it soooo dfficult you give up
    Allizdog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Or the opposite - make some dig their toes in..
    rewa likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I gave my friendly AO a gentle reminder yesterday that it is four months since I submitted a renewal application and as yet I have not heard diddly squat from anyone. My license expires in six months so I will be ramping up the frequency of contact shortly as I definitely subscribe to the squeaky wheel theory.
    Ryan, 308, Scouser and 3 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I gave my friendly AO a gentle reminder yesterday that it is four months since I submitted a renewal application and as yet I have not heard diddly squat from anyone. My license expires in six months so I will be ramping up the frequency of contact shortly as I definitely subscribe to the squeaky wheel theory.
    Same Rushy, I handed my application in a couple of months ago, mine expires in March......will contact them.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I've just moved to Taupo, so did the necessary with the AO. Rung, left a message and had a text within an hour.
    He came over the next day and ticked the boxes, all ok it seems.

Contrast that with a 4 year wait (and still waiting) for a check in Auckland. (pre ChCh though)
    Micky Duck likes this.

Applied for renewal in Nelson/Tasman late Sept. License arrived today, although they Gave me C1 they didn't give me the required P7 for magazines in keeping with my collection. Working thru this with the AO now, but so far he seems receptive to supporting an amendment. This was all discussed during vetting so I have no idea where it fell thru the cracks.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    I've just moved to Taupo, so did the necessary with the AO. Rung, left a message and had a text within an hour.
    He came over the next day and ticked the boxes, all ok it seems.

Contrast that with a 4 year wait (and still waiting) for a check in Auckland. (pre ChCh though)
    Change of address security checks aren't too involved compared to a full licence renewal. The Taupo AO and vettors are very efficient and good to deal with.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopua Cowboy View Post
    besides the gun safe we have 2 small safes in the house. ones for passports etc and the other for jewellery. about a month back the jewellery safe wouldnt open by the keypad. no issues i though i have the backup key.
    it didnt work !
    10 minutes later with no power tools i was in to it.
    the best security of all ( and i have been in the alarm industry off and on for 25 years) is not letting people know what you own
    308, Feral and Dago like this.

Good luck cuz,

Mine took 11 months and 10 days, from my interview in late February, to it appearing in my letter box. These people are beyond useless.
    After six months they provided me with an email to cover me in case I was stopped on the road or for purchases etc. Up until then they wouldn’t do anything.

Turn time in Christchurch, 5-6 weeks.......

B
    308 and northdude like this.

They are overloaded in Otago, did my interview on boxing day because they had a free slot.