Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Firearm licencing

Yep I had to re-read that sentence lol
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Listened to an Arms Officer from "head office" yesterday on the Farming Show, Newstalk ZB, he made a statement when asked that it's ok to shoot yourself while supervising an unlicensed hunter, always had been led to believe if your supervising you were only allowed one firearm between the two of you. Also was queried about farmers changing farms at end of the season whom were waiting for license renewal, didn't really answer that question. Just stated there were ways to sort it, a bit tough if it's Waikato to Southland and your mate who is storing for you in the Waikato doesn't want a drive south to find Southland storage for you.
    Police website.............. https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...aland-firearms

And the relevant section which states...'Anyone can use a hunting and target shooting rifle or shotgun without a licence if they are under the immediate supervision of a licence holder. ‘Immediate supervision’ means the licensed person is within reach and can control the firearm. The supervisor must not be using another firearm at the same time.'

Its not a case of them not reading from the same page from the same book, they aren't even in the same fucking library!!! No wonder the firearms licensing procedure is such a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Police website.............. https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...aland-firearms

And the relevant section which states...'Anyone can use a hunting and target shooting rifle or shotgun without a licence if they are under the immediate supervision of a licence holder. ‘Immediate supervision’ means the licensed person is within reach and can control the firearm. The supervisor must not be using another firearm at the same time.'

Its not a case of them not reading from the same page from the same book, they aren't even in the same fucking library!!! No wonder the firearms licensing procedure is such a mess.
    Well aware of that, The Farming show got him on to tidy a few details up, this is what the end result is, left hand doesn't know what the right hands doing.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Well aware of that, The Farming show got him on to tidy a few details up, this is what the end result is, left hand doesn't know what the right hands doing.
    Hopefully someone recorded the interview as it would possibly make a good defense if the constables/police who are teaming up with wildlife rangers on opening weekend decide to follow their own website advice and start enforcing what they believe is correct.......

Gone but not forgotten
    The Police website says "use" and "using", so I take that to mean the supervisor can have another firearm, and can shoot, but you shouldn't both be shooting at the same time.
    Most of my hunts nowadays are with an unlicensed inexperienced young fella or two and I only take the one rifle, but thats my personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Hopefully someone recorded the interview as it would possibly make a good defense if the constables/police who are teaming up with wildlife rangers on opening weekend decide to follow their own website advice and start enforcing what they believe is correct.......
    Ok question. Assuming you have a current FAL I always thought and had been told you had 7 days to present your licence at the local cop shop if you did not have it on you at the time. As this changed?

emailed in a complaint to the complaints authority today - unacceptable.
    1) the huge delay
    2) Police refusal to clarify what I had to do when my licence expired - could I still store my firearms? I live on a farm - am I still able to conduct pest control? Do I need to hand my firearms to someone else to hold? couldn't get answers other than my renewal was submitted in early December, is in process and hopefully wont be far away...

My renewal turned up today, March 18 to May 12th. Not bad
    Woody and Micky Duck like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    My renewal turned up today, March 18 to May 12th. Not bad
    Preferential treatment Gibo. How much was the graft payment?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Preferential treatment Gibo. How much was the graft payment?
    If it was "Waikato" would have been lucky to arrive by xmas. haha.

Good looks and charm lads

5 1/2 months - my reference person (non related) has now been interviewed, I haven't heard anything yet but hopefully its getting done now...

Got my renewal licence yesterday.

4 month wait from start of application to new licence in my hand.
    Cyclops and Steve123 like this.

my brother has waited 8 months so far

Some facts and figures. It has been 285 days since I applied as a first-time applicant and 72 days since my interview and safe inspection. I've been told I should have the card in roughly a month three times now - I'm halfway through the third. At least last time I was told that the card had actually been ordered - but with the delays so far I'm teetering between hope and despair by the hour. Leaning into the despair right now as I suspect the card has been lost by the post. Otherwise I'm unsure how it can take up to a month for a card to be produced and posted. Anyone have some inside knowledge there?