Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Firearm licencing

I've been studying up for my test and this is bothering me. Police give the correct answer for the maximum projectile distance of a .22 LR rimfire rifle as 1.5 km and 2.5 km in different online quizzes. Which is correct? Will this be in the real test?

https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...ent/start.html - 2.5 km
    https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...ent/start.html (quiz 2) - 1.5 km

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I've been studying up for my test and this is bothering me. Police give the correct answer for the maximum projectile distance of a .22 LR rimfire rifle as 1.5 km and 2.5 km in different online quizzes. Which is correct? Will this be in the real test?

Ask the person running the Mountain Safety Council lecture/test.
    Micky Duck and Rush like this.

Friend in the north island has been asked online by police nz 4 times for his details.
    Given it to them 3 times.
    Even references wrong district.
    Does chopper work and not a fan of this lot

As @10-Ring said ask mountain safety council, personally I will go with 2.5km, The .22 is a highly underrated calibre, and if it is on pure distance travelled then the .22 can travel a great distance, as for being in test I don't know, but be prepared for anything and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post

you can make it travel further...if your aircraft is high enough LOL.

Wahay! Exactly 8 months and 4 days after applying the missus and boys licence's have arrived ..... 10 yr licences too....
    The system does work .. provided you don't die of old age waiting...
    ROKTOY likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Wahay! Exactly 8 months and 4 days after applying the missus and boys licence's have arrived ..... 10 yr licences too....
    The system does work .. provided you don't die of old age waiting...
    Good one.
    (in that amount of time another baby could have been conceived and almost ready for birth....)
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Good one.
    (in that amount of time another baby could have been conceived and almost ready for birth....)
    We actually joked with the firearms officer that perhaps if we did the application for my 14 yr old daughter now she might get it just in time for her 17 th birthday....well, HE thought we were joking , we weren't.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Friend in the north island has been asked online by police nz 4 times for his details.
    Given it to them 3 times.
    Even references wrong district.
    Does chopper work and not a fan of this lot
    I ignored my email wanting my details, I wait for a phone call or raid?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Good one.
    Wonder if my wife would be into that waiting game, guess I’m buggered at 71 and a 35 yr old snip? She may not remember?
    10-Ring likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

My AO told me today that my FAL has been approved and is printing.

northdude
    I rang mine today been waiting since Feb. Said it's all approved etc so asked them for an email confirming this and our conversation which they happily supplied. Feel a bit more comfortable with my expired license now.

So now that I have in my hands my brand new FAL I can open up about the total cock up the Police firearm licencing administration system is.
    Sorry this will be a long rant and contains bad words......

My FAL expiry was 6 October.

May 2020 I handed in my FAL renewal application, with all that was asked and had it receipted. Thought there'd be a delay with COVID etc so thought I'd get in early with my renewal process (little did I know what was in front of me).

Heard nothing by June so rung the local arms office to inquire as to how its going. Was told there's a huge delay and backlog so be prepared for a long wait. Nothing else.

July, I rung at the start of the month and then every other week thereafter and still had no answers to my queries. Was told could be Dec before they start to do anything.

August I laid a formal complaint over their lack of action for such an important document as is the FAL. And due to the expiry date fast approachng I wanted it actioned asap.

Mid August I was away on holiday with my wife, and got rung up by some constable in the arms office asking why had I laid a complaint.
    Gave him a serious ear bashing over the time taken for them to action my renewal. Excuses upon excuses were driveled back without actually answering any concerns.
    But I was assured the renewal process was under way and a vettor was having my forms posted out to them for action..... (posted out for action? really? Posted? Yeah posted.....)
    Was assured that due to covid and the omnibus legislation, my FAL had a 12mth extention so don't worry.

Sept 9 I was rung by the vettor to arrange interviews with my references and a security check. PLUS they wanted to interview EVERYONE over the age of 18 that lived at my house.
    I immediately queried that and the vettor had no answer so had the AO ring me. He again stated what the vettor had to interview everyone over 18 or they wouldn't proceed with my renewal.
    I asked for the forms then so I could get those other peoples permission to be these extra and additional references to what the official application forms ask for.
    Was simply told If I don't cooperate they would cancel my application. Another AO from PHQ then rung me and asked why the issue. I explained to him that the official forms only ask for 2 references and any more people required would need to give their written permission. He said they don't have any extra forms (no shit sherlock) and asked if i would be happy if the standard application forms were used. My reply was you want the additional references interviewed you supply whatever forms you want for these extras to sign. CHCH AO rung back and said it all go the forms would be sent out with the vettor. And to make sure all the references were at home at the arranged time.
    Asked about the delays and the impending expiry date fast approaching. Was told I had a 12mth extention to my FAL so don't worry.

Vettor arrived at the arranged date/time a few days after the above discussion, and immediately I asked for the forms...."what forms"? You are fucking kidding me! FFS!!
    So I write up a lengthy statement stating that due to the failings of police procedures "this" statement was the written permission for these additional persons to act as further references additional to those on the official application form.
    Interviews done.
    Some questions to the others were very personal in nature and nothing to do with acting as a reference to my FAL process imo.
    Even my wife had to list her heart meds down to the names, type, strengths, doses she takes, and how often.

Security checks carried out.
    Incidentally the vettor spent 1hr inspecting my E/B Cat safe and the paperwork that went along with it. A safe that had been engineered to police standards, had been inspected, and had been signed off by police when I had my endorsements all of which should be on file.
    But the other Acat safe she looked at for less than 1 min, tried to give it a shake and said its fine. Go figure.
    Vettor said my FAL had an extention due to covid and the omnibus so don't worry if the FAL expires, Im covered.
    Kept the vettor happy and away they went.

Now, sept ended and I had heard nothing back but had been awaiting confirmation that the process had been OKd etc.

Oct 6. Before 9am I get a call from the local AO saying my FAL had expired and they want to come uplift my rifles. Um.... like NO.... WTF! Panic station sets in here
    Oh sorry we forgot to interview your son who is now 16. PHQ changed their minds and now want everyone over 16 to be interviewed. Needs to be done this morning or the FAL won't go through in time and we'll come for your guns tonight. "why the fuck wasnt this done like 4mths ago"? Argued the point with deaf ears and then I was told I had slipped through the gaps and I wasn't covered by the omnibus legislation so my FAL didn't get an extention. More WTF are you clowns doing. You have 1 fucking job to do!!
    Rushed around from work to 1) secure my rifles away from home, and 2) get son interviewed before that afternoon.

Was rung back in the late afternoon by the AO to say he was approving my FAL. Then he had the nerve to say to me if I had only done what they asked it would've gone much faster. Right MOFO you better be sitting down for this because BOOM GOES THIS FUSE!
    I had done ALL what was asked PLUS more and MORE again. Remind me, who left it till the very last minute before doing anything again?
    His repsonse was "do you know how many FAL holders are in Canty"? Why yes I do ... between 35 and 40k, and you have 13 vettors, and you only have 5 staff in your office dont you......
    Silence. Then ".... ummm wow you know your stuff". Too damn right I do.
    Lets just say his ears must of been hurting!
    I said I value my FAL very highly and would do what is necessary to keep it.
    But any new procedures they impose have to be legal and the relevant paperwork needs to be filled out. And if there are any new procedures, they need to be followed to the letter because it was their failing to follow simple procedures before March that caused the problems we face today.
    Then he said something I found very interesting. Those additional references are NOT references for my application. Those extra people have to be vetted as fit and proper themselves as they potentially have access to my rifles. The declaration statement on the bottom of the application form gives them the rights to talk to whoever they want regarding me.

Lets go back a step.... "they potentially have access to my firearms...."
    WTF? NO THEY FUCKING DON'T! Thats 1 of the first questions they asked. "Does anyone else have access to your firearms" - NO THEY FUCKING DON'T!! Only I have the keys/Codes. No one else. Not even a slight chance.

Now lts look at their saying these additional people are not references but are vetted as fit and proper themselves as if they are getting a FAL..... really? want to rethink that sunshine? Do these people know that? Have they given their permission for that to happen? No they fucking haven't! So all that information has been illegaly obtained and misused.

Oh and another thing. Remember when I was asked to make sure ALL the people they wanted to talk to were at home that particular night....Well...The AO said they had concerns because everyone was in the house even though we had separted to the far end for privecy. He said only 1 person was allowed in the house at a time while the interviews were taking place. So where the fuck were we supposed to go? And I reminded him we had all been asked to be there - together - again following instructions

Sorry to say, all of it fell on deaf ears. They don't give a toss. Its either do as they say or we'll take your guns.
    But without knowing what they want its all in their court. They seem to be changing their minds as they go along, and have no one running check on them.
    Its not going to get any easier, unfortunately, especially while the commy's are allowed to run the place and let the police make up whatever they want as rules/law.

I would suggest to anyone going to renew their FAL, or even looking at applying for a FAL, to potentially get legal advice prior to going through with it.
    308, Ranger 888, planenutz and 2 others like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    So now that I have in my hands my brand new FAL I can open up about the total cock up the Police firearm licencing administration system is.
    Sorry this will be a long rant and contains bad words......

My FAL expiry was 6 October.

May 2020 I handed in my FAL renewal application, with all that was asked and had it receipted. Thought there'd be a delay with COVID etc so thought I'd get in early with my renewal process (little did I know what was in front of me).

Heard nothing by June so rung the local arms office to inquire as to how its going. Was told there's a huge delay and backlog so be prepared for a long wait. Nothing else.

July, I rung at the start of the month and then every other week thereafter and still had no answers to my queries. Was told could be Dec before they start to do anything.

August I laid a formal complaint over their lack of action for such an important document as is the FAL. And due to the expiry date fast approachng I wanted it actioned asap.

Mid August I was away on holiday with my wife, and got rung up by some constable in the arms office asking why had I laid a complaint.
    Gave him a serious ear bashing over the time taken for them to action my renewal. Excuses upon excuses were driveled back without actually answering any concerns.
    But I was assured the renewal process was under way and a vettor was having my forms posted out to them for action..... (posted out for action? really? Posted? Yeah posted.....)
    Was assured that due to covid and the omnibus legislation, my FAL had a 12mth extention so don't worry.

Sept 9 I was rung by the vettor to arrange interviews with my references and a security check. PLUS they wanted to interview EVERYONE over the age of 18 that lived at my house.
    I immediately queried that and the vettor had no answer so had the AO ring me. He again stated what the vettor had to interview everyone over 18 or they wouldn't proceed with my renewal.
    I asked for the forms then so I could get those other peoples permission to be these extra and additional references to what the official application forms ask for.
    Was simply told If I don't cooperate they would cancel my application. Another AO from PHQ then rung me and asked why the issue. I explained to him that the official forms only ask for 2 references and any more people required would need to give their written permission. He said they don't have any extra forms (no shit sherlock) and asked if i would be happy if the standard application forms were used. My reply was you want the additional references interviewed you supply whatever forms you want for these extras to sign. CHCH AO rung back and said it all go the forms would be sent out with the vettor. And to make sure all the references were at home at the arranged time.
    Asked about the delays and the impending expiry date fast approaching. Was told I had a 12mth extention to my FAL so don't worry.

Vettor arrived at the arranged date/time a few days after the above discussion, and immediately I asked for the forms...."what forms"? You are fucking kidding me! FFS!!
    So I write up a lengthy statement stating that due to the failings of police procedures "this" statement was the written permission for these additional persons to act as further references additional to those on the official application form.
    Interviews done.
    Some questions to the others were very personal in nature and nothing to do with acting as a reference to my FAL process imo.
    Even my wife had to list her heart meds down to the names, type, strengths, doses she takes, and how often.

Security checks carried out.
    Incidentally the vettor spent 1hr inspecting my E/B Cat safe and the paperwork that went along with it. A safe that had been engineered to police standards, had been inspected, and had been signed off by police when I had my endorsements all of which should be on file.
    But the other Acat safe she looked at for less than 1 min, tried to give it a shake and said its fine. Go figure.
    Vettor said my FAL had an extention due to covid and the omnibus so don't worry if the FAL expires, Im covered.
    Kept the vettor happy and away they went.

Now, sept ended and I had heard nothing back but had been awaiting confirmation that the process had been OKd etc.

Oct 6. Before 9am I get a call from the local AO saying my FAL had expired and they want to come uplift my rifles. Um.... like NO.... WTF! Panic station sets in here
    Oh sorry we forgot to interview your son who is now 16. PHQ changed their minds and now want everyone over 16 to be interviewed. Needs to be done this morning or the FAL won't go through in time and we'll come for your guns tonight. "why the fuck wasnt this done like 4mths ago"? Argued the point with deaf ears and then I was told I had slipped through the gaps and I wasn't covered by the omnibus legislation so my FAL didn't get an extention. More WTF are you clowns doing. You have 1 fucking job to do!!
    Rushed around from work to 1) secure my rifles away from home, and 2) get son interviewed before that afternoon.

Was rung back in the late afternoon by the AO to say he was approving my FAL. Then he had the nerve to say to me if I had only done what they asked it would've gone much faster. Right MOFO you better be sitting down for this because BOOM GOES THIS FUSE!
    I had done ALL what was asked PLUS more and MORE again. Remind me, who left it till the very last minute before doing anything again?
    His repsonse was "do you know how many FAL holders are in Canty"? Why yes I do ... between 35 and 40k, and you have 13 vettors, and you only have 5 staff in your office dont you......
    Silence. Then ".... ummm wow you know your stuff". Too damn right I do.
    Lets just say his ears must of been hurting!
    I said I value my FAL very highly and would do what is necessary to keep it.
    But any new procedures they impose have to be legal and the relevant paperwork needs to be filled out. And if there are any new procedures, they need to be followed to the letter because it was their failing to follow simple procedures before March that caused the problems we face today.
    Then he said something I found very interesting. Those additional references are NOT references for my application. Those extra people have to be vetted as fit and proper themselves as they potentially have access to my rifles. The declaration statement on the bottom of the application form gives them the rights to talk to whoever they want regarding me.

Lets go back a step.... "they potentially have access to my firearms...."
    WTF? NO THEY FUCKING DON'T! Thats 1 of the first questions they asked. "Does anyone else have access to your firearms" - NO THEY FUCKING DON'T!! Only I have the keys/Codes. No one else. Not even a slight chance.

Now lts look at their saying these additional people are not references but are vetted as fit and proper themselves as if they are getting a FAL..... really? want to rethink that sunshine? Do these people know that? Have they given their permission for that to happen? No they fucking haven't! So all that information has been illegaly obtained and misused.

Oh and another thing. Remember when I was asked to make sure ALL the people they wanted to talk to were at home that particular night....Well...The AO said they had concerns because everyone was in the house even though we had separted to the far end for privecy. He said only 1 person was allowed in the house at a time while the interviews were taking place. So where the fuck were we supposed to go? And I reminded him we had all been asked to be there - together - again following instructions

Sorry to say, all of it fell on deaf ears. They don't give a toss. Its either do as they say or we'll take your guns.
    But without knowing what they want its all in their court. They seem to be changing their minds as they go along, and have no one running check on them.
    Its not going to get any easier, unfortunately, especially while the commy's are allowed to run the place and let the police make up whatever they want as rules/law.

I would suggest to anyone going to renew their FAL, or even looking at applying for a FAL, to potentially get legal advice prior to going through with it.
    You need to email the act party, make an ipca complaint, and a complaint to the privacy comission.

If I was you I would also email police minister, ccing the media outlet of your choice (I have contacts in media if desired)
    Micky Duck, dannyb and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    You need to email the act party, make an ipca complaint, and a complaint to the privacy comission.

If I was you I would also email police minister, ccing the media outlet of your choice (I have contacts in media if desired)
    Also send to your organisation (eg NZDA or Service rifle assn etc) and ask it to be represented through the Firearms Community Advisory Forum (FCAF).

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk