Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Firearms Storage Inspection ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    As an aside, seeing as this antiquated thread has been dug up and flogged into life again...

The vetting process is absolutely flawed, so says my BSW-qualified wife who is absolutely fricking disgusted by the process. (BSW is Bachelor of Social Work - her case with Hons - she works with all sectors of society but one sector is family violence). Relevance here, is most of the AO's and vetting staff would be lucky to have more than minimal training in identifying domestic violence cases. As a trained professional, she finds it absolutely abhorent that every time I have been vetted she has had to answer the vetting person's questions with me in the room, despite me offering to leave (I was actually told to stay). A person living with fear will not answer a vetting question truthfully in this instance.

So, A-cat or whatever stupid letter-cat the applicant is going for - I contest it's not worth the paper it's written on. That makes the whole argument for seperate license classes completely void regardless of politicians good intent.
    My partner also has the same degree, and tends to disagree with your wife. Guess they equal each other out?

Fact of the matter is that even in your case, it takes ONE phone call to the police from her and you licence is gone, what makes you think she'd be more likely to open up to a random (to her), civ whilst you are in the other room as opposed to a police officer any other time?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    The vetting guide states that the spouse, partner, NOK has to be interviewed separately. There is some truth in most of what Jexla says.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    When I was vetted I had to leave while my partner was interviewed.
    Me to, my wife even told them she hated guns

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

My missus was interviewed in private each time, I thought that was normal. Vetting guy said afterwards that she told him she was initially very scared and wary of firearms in general, and as a result of me patiently explaining it all over time she now didn't feel that way at all, and was quite interested in getting a FAL herself (she hasn't quite done that yet, but it's on her list). Vetting guy thought it was great.
    308, Beaker, stretch and 2 others like this.

my last vetting -the vettor told wife she could refuse to answer a question -didnt matter ,but me -refusal seen as guilt -game set &match for me.
    we were interviewed seperately her for 30mins me for 90+
    asked about my depression -Id got a med cert from GP-no worries ,so i told him to tell the boys in blue theyre welcome to view my entire medical file -ive got no secrets.but dont friggin blame me if ya find the reader snoring peacefully after the first page!
    he laughed like hell!weve just spoken again recently as iwas referee for a good mate- no probs there either.
    both my vettors have been fairly reasonable types ,able to use a modicum of discretion/commonsense and not prone to prostrating themselves a the bible of regulations at every query or question asked.
    gadgetman likes this.