Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Firearms Storage Inspection ....

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Yes there is. Carry on reading.
    However, you can carry an unloaded gun.
    Really? Where? I have never seen it but then I probably haven't looked in the right places.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    So, as said above, if you're any good at shooting, you don't need a semi auto (shotguns for game birds excluded)
    I need my one it keeps me sane!....errr......ummm.

Seriously, things like WSRA (service rifle shooting) is a sport...rugby is a sport and it has injurys, sky diving is lethal if it goes wrong.

So if we want to do "needs" then anything that involves risk of injury for no monetary gain should be banned.

Are semi's worse than bolts? I wonder since 1881 (or so) how many ppl bolt guns havd killed v semis?

Also most ppl dont need to hunt, meat is provided on a plastic tray in many shops....of course then you dont need to eat meat.

How far do you want to take it? really you have taken a stance that has no negative impact on you, and bugger everyone else, thanks for that.

The problem really is the nut cases, we have a good system that seems to minimalise the possibility of the nutjobs getting guns. If its possible I'd like to see that system improved as incidents are going to hurt gun users, I just dont see anything effective proposed.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I believe the biggest risk to public safety is secure storage rather than certain types of firearms, I am not worried about a fit and proper individual owning and using any type of firearm, I am more concerned with criminal types stealing those said firearms and then them being used for criminal acts.

For this reason I endeavor to make my firearm storage as secure as reasonably possible.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I love how these people say "nobody needs them". You don't need your guns either buddy.

I understand and even appreciate most of your comments. But, as Spud says, too many nut jobs and the criminal fraternity who strongly desire this type of weapon and if the crims can get them, the police and the rest of us have a bigger problem than if they only had access to a slower-to-repeat firearm.
    I really don't have a "bugger everyone else" mentality... More a sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the greater good belief.
    I feel you're trying to make an extremist point by suggesting playing rugby or skydiving, and the risks of injury involved, can actually be drawn as a parallel for the risks of a sociopath being in possession of a rapid fire large calibre weapon.
    I concede perhaps competitive sport shooting should allow for this type of weapon... But are pistol shooters permitted to keep their pistol at home? Or only on club premises in a sealed concrete and steel room? Get my drift? No-one should have these weapons at home, in a basic gun safe

Identify your target beyond all doubt! Sorry won't cut it later and no deer is worth the fall out. Safe and happy hunting

Oh, good argument Beavis (sigh). So another extremist view is that I should hunt deer with a knife, bow or sticks and stones?
    "Need" refers to type of weapon required to carry out a clean kill at distance and also infers that competitive sport shooting can be with any other type of firearm. Automatics, IN MY OPINION, just aren't necessary for shooters to enjoy the sport of shooting.

Take a good look at the USA currently: the NRA are fighting hard out for NO gun control amendments. Why? Because they fear that allowing any control measures will open a floodgate for eventual gun elimination. This is highly unlikely to occur or even be suggested. But the problem of free-for-all gun sales (in supermarkets next to your meat!) and the possession of automatic weapons by nut jobs competing with the last nut job for the top spot as public enemy No.1 is way out of control. Hunting and club sport shooting isn't even being threatened.
    Do we want this situation here? Personally, I don't. So I'm taking a stand as an ethical gun owner who cares for his community. Feel free to disagree with me, but I wouldn't be convinced of a different way of thinking. Over and out

Identify your target beyond all doubt! Sorry won't cut it later and no deer is worth the fall out. Safe and happy hunting

R93
    Umm, you are allowed to keep pistols at home if you have the appropriate licence and security.
    I have my E cat soon to renew my B I no longer own an E cat firearm.
    I don't need one for hunting but owned one for my job.
    If you are fit and proper and it is legal, you should be able to have what you want. Semi or not.
    Far be it for me to say someone does not need something if it is legal and they want to own and use it legally.
    veitnamcam and steven like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Automatics, IN MY OPINION, just aren't necessary for shooters to enjoy the sport of shooting.
    So I'm taking a stand as an ethical gun owner who cares for his community. Feel free to disagree with me, but I wouldn't be convinced of a different way of thinking.
    Opinions change. I started with bolts 35 years ago, obtained an AR maybe 30-32 years ago, got rid of the AR and stayed with bolts. Recently (maybe last five years) rediscovered semis (Drag's + AR's) as they are fun to shoot (range weapons).
    Thank God this country is still a democracy where I am permitted to enjoy life in the ways I choose (morally and legally of course). I oppose anyone with opinions such as yours which restricts my enjoyment of life.
    The politicians have passed reasonable laws and the police have done a pretty good job in keeping loopies away from firearms. It's all good in NZ in my opinion.
    steven and Hunt4life like this.
    The D is silent, hillbilly!

I know I've stuck my head out and this view wouldn't be popular with many. I've got similar opinions about speed limits for vehicles on public roads. ie. computerised speed governers/limiters... Highly unpopular as most people want a liberal society where we can choose to break laws and take the consequences if we get caught. I speed like anyone else at times, just as I'd like to shoot an AR for fun. Liberties don't make it 'right', as the risks speak for themselves. My point really is, if as a society we really want to reduce the risk of harm, we should make the rules more fool proof and consequences much more severe.
    It's okay guys... We live in NZ. A soft touch on everything, so we'll all be sweet

As for rimfire SAs Beavis... Again, unnecessary for 'hunting' and in practise, they teach bad habits anyway. This isn't about me and the moral high ground, but I started out with a BSA single shot opn sighted .22. Every shot counted and I learned real quick that if I couldn't achieve a one shot kill (head), don't take the shot. So when it came time to get a more sporty rifle with a magazine, I bought a ten shot bolt action and learned to work the bolt quickly when needed for multiple animals. One day I took all five hares in a family bunch before the last made it to the safety of the scrub. So, as said above, if you're any good at shooting, you don't need a semi auto (shotguns for game birds excluded)
    Using your logic, you shouldn't have that single bolt action too. Why not just stick to black powder and ball ? After all, it was good enough in the day, and using cased ammo simply teaches bad habits of being able to shoot quickly. Not like in the old days when every shot counted because of the time it took to reload.

Firearms evolve, one would hope hypocrisy would've evolved into nothingess too. Alas it hasn't.
    veitnamcam and Hunt4life like this.

My old Magica do that, 1st trigger,both barrels,two bangs
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Oh, good argument Beavis (sigh). So another extremist view is that I should hunt deer with a knife, bow or sticks and stones?
    "Need" refers to type of weapon required to carry out a clean kill at distance and also infers that competitive sport shooting can be with any other type of firearm. Automatics, IN MY OPINION, just aren't necessary for shooters to enjoy the sport of shooting.

Take a good look at the USA currently: the NRA are fighting hard out for NO gun control amendments. Why? Because they fear that allowing any control measures will open a floodgate for eventual gun elimination. This is highly unlikely to occur or even be suggested. But the problem of free-for-all gun sales (in supermarkets next to your meat!) and the possession of automatic weapons by nut jobs competing with the last nut job for the top spot as public enemy No.1 is way out of control. Hunting and club sport shooting isn't even being threatened.
    Do we want this situation here? Personally, I don't. So I'm taking a stand as an ethical gun owner who cares for his community. Feel free to disagree with me, but I wouldn't be convinced of a different way of thinking. Over and out

Your post indicates to me that everything you know about "rapid fire automatic weapons" or what ever, you learned from watching TV. You don't need to hunt either.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Automatics, IN MY OPINION, just aren't necessary for shooters to enjoy the sport of shooting.
    I wholeheartedly dissagree.

Shooting is the oldest organised sport in this country. It was also the first sport here to have trophies competed for, such as the Cavalry Champions Belt, 1st competed for in 1871, now known as the Charles Upham Memorial triophy and recently won by a forum member.

My point is, our shooting sports has Military origins, before anything else such as hunting. We actually have the historic provenance to support shooting military style matches, with current general issue equipment, more than anything else. So certain MSSA's, IMO, have a legitimate place in NZ shooting sports.
    Hunt4life likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Ejected
    This whole argument about semi's, in particular ar styled, being used for crimes, is any of this based on actual fact? I would love to see the stats of shot guns vs semi auto rifles used in robberies etc.

All guns go bang, and all are inherently dangerous. Not trying to play down any accidents that happen to shooting victims but ACC pays out a shitload more to people like me that injure themselves in other sports like basketball and rugby.

NZ is pretty safe in a whole.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    This whole argument about semi's, in particular ar styled, being used for crimes, is any of this based on actual fact?
    Absolutely not, and most especially in New Zealand