Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Firearms Storage Inspection ....

Bit of thread drift but here's another .02c from me

I would fight to the bitter end to support YOUR right to pursue the shooting sport (/ hunting) of your choice using the equipment of YOUR choice, why is it so difficult for some others to do the same.

for the majority of my time as a FL holder I have only shot on ranges in organised competitive events of one sort or another but just now I am getting into the hunting side of things.

No one needs to do anything to ban anything, different factions of FAL holders will fall over themselves to feed each other to the wolves as long as they think they get to keep on doing their hobby.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

AzumitH- haha! Great rant mate, nice one. I'm so over this thread. Why some of you cant engage in healthy debate and instead feel the need to slash into personal attacks amazes me. Laterz

Identify your target beyond all doubt! Sorry won't cut it later and no deer is worth the fall out. Safe and happy hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    ... I am fearful of who might be in possession of any type of firearm, but especially rapid fire styles.
    Additionally, regarding mental health, things can happen in our lives. Ppl can get depressed, or become highly volatile through anger. Is ten years too long between police checks to verify you're of sound mind and judgement?
    Breathe mate, breathe. We live in, per capita, one of the most heavily armed countries on earth. Bolt, pump, semi, no difference - they are all around us. How often do you read of people ""getting depressed" and then hosing down other people with semi-automatic weapons... or bolt action weapons, or any firearms at all for that matter? Pretty damn rarely. Why live in fear of something that doesn't exist? Fearing what might happen is just your imagination - an irrational fear, much like me worrying about getting run over by a bus or monsters under my bed. It could happen but hey... I could get also get stung by a sting ray!

Anyone who reads the news even badly sees that fisticuffs, stabbings, bottlings etc are more prevalent because it's easier to carry a bottle or a knife around with you than a firearm. People who are depressed aren't necessarily violent and even if they were, they could do a lot of damage without a firearm.

In NZ, as soon as there is even a hint of a firearm involved... the police are onto that like a fat kid on a happy meal. Case in point, one day in 2006, I was sharing a house in North Auckland with someone. My flattie noticed that the fella next door had an air rifle and one day when we were drunk, he saw him walking around the house with it so he called the cops.

Within 5 minutes, they'd surrounded the house, K9 there was, interviewed the poor guy, came and interview my mate etc. Admittedly a complete waste of tax payers' money but the fact of the matter remains that gun crime is so low in New Zealand, that when it is reported, the police take it extremely seriously.

Where I come from, you'd be luck if the police even answered the phone!
    Last edited by Ryan; 11-05-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    scaggly likes this.

..and the motor vehicle is one of the largest killers of them all... Mix that with alcohol, drugs, depression, road rage even - theres something that needs a tighter control rather than an already structured system for firearms... Slighty off topic, but, I have huge arguements with regard to numbers deceased/idiots in control....
    Wirehunt likes this.

AzumitH- haha! Great rant mate, nice one. I'm so over this thread. Why some of you cant engage in healthy debate and instead feel the need to slash into personal attacks amazes me. Laterz

Identify your target beyond all doubt! Sorry won't cut it later and no deer is worth the fall out. Safe and happy hunting
    +1 i was hoping to see some valid debate on this.... disapointing
    Hunt4life likes this.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

8 pages of thread, and 1 comment invalidates it all? Is it only a valid debate if it supports a particular viewpoint?
    Wirehunt likes this.

Hey mate I didn't attack anyone (at least I don't think so) if I did come across that way then I am truely sorry and apologise.
    Hunt4life likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Hey mate I didn't attack anyone (at least I don't think so) if I did come across that way then I am truely sorry and apologise.

Nah, I don't think it was you he got the pip with. It was a post prior to that I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by scaggly View Post
    8 pages of thread, and 1 comment invalidates it all? Is it only a valid debate if it supports a particular viewpoint?
    No i didnt say that, i have never handled an AR nor prob ever will, i was genuinely interested in hearing from those that do... i also wasnt going to be part of this but wanted to read with interest
    OPCz

Quote Originally Posted by moonhunt View Post
    No i didnt say that, i have never handled an AR nor prob ever will, i was genuinely interested in hearing from those that do... i also wasnt going to be part of this but wanted to read with interest
    I've been using them for so long now I forget to cycle the bolt on a bolt action. As such I guess I don't see them as "bad". They are easy to shoot, most people find once they get past the way they look they actually can shoot em quite well.
    Moonhunt is you are ever down this way you can have a try with mine if you want.

What gets me is we are taught all our lives you cannot judge people / things by the way they look / are except it seems when it comes to firearms.

Seems to follow the Politicians Rule Number One

"Everyone is equal BUT some of us are MORE EQUAL Than others"

Politicians Rule Number 2 is
    "I know that's what you heard m say but what I really said was.........."

Opps there we go again, Cynical Me has just popped up again.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Because we have been having this stupid debate with fudds for years and we're sick of hearing this "you shouldn't be allowed to own your guns" shit.

I mean seriously, if you want a good debate, research what you're talking about, have a go with an AR, hang out with the people that own them for a while etc. If you rely on the main stream media for info and intuition from your own experiences, you will get nowhere with us.

Love to get down your way one day, and if a chance did arise i prob would have a shot at some paper with one
    So far my only experiance with them has been to look down the barrel of a couple from a couple of very young green horns i caught where they shouldnt have been, and to be honset i thought why do you have one of those for your first rifle, especially with no mentoring or safty conscience at all, but dont get me wrong, these guys would have been the same with any type of firearm im sure
    Also i havnt any opinion from this experiance, it had nothing to do with firearm type, but did get me thinking why so easy to procure
    Hunt4life likes this.
    OPCz

Lets be honest here though, most criminal acts are performed at close range ie 10 to 15m max, at that range a semi auto or pump shotty loaded with AA would be as, if not more, deadly than an AR, but no one seems to have a problem with them?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

A .22lr has sufficient energy to inflict a lethal wound, David grey, amongst thousands of other murders are testament to that.