Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 28 Gauge

I have fitted a couple of Akkar u/o recently & one was for a lefty, I was quite surprised at how well made & how well they shot for the price...........a lot of "bang for ya buck" so to speak
    kiwijames likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Da Browning View Post
    I have fitted a couple of Akkar u/o recently & one was for a lefty, I was quite surprised at how well made & how well they shot for the price...........a lot of "bang for ya buck" so to speak
    Good to hear.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I have not shot a 28 at game , but I have used it quite a bit shooting Skeet .
    It will easily kill a clay target and my averages are only fractionally down from the bigger gauges . I find no difference between the 12 and 20 in my scores . The real score killer is the 410 .
    The 28 is a beautifully soft shooting gauge when used in a heavy 12 gauge with barrel tubes , I have no idea how soft they are in a scaled to fit purpose made 28 gauge gun .
    Cracking a clay in half and killing a real bird are two different things though . In the real world landing as many pellets as possible on the target is the way to achieve success and humanly kill it , because of the 28's reduced shot volume the only way to achieve pattern density it to choke it more .
    Tight chokes make shooting success more difficult , if you are after a challenge or your a sucker for punishment then go for it , if your wanting to fill the freezer then use a 20 or 12 .

Ken
    Munsey likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I'm in brescia Italy tonight, handled a Rizzini sxs in 28 today, nearly walked away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I'm in brescia Italy tonight, handled a Rizzini sxs in 28 today, nearly walked away with it!
    Nice! But there's a Rizzini and then there is a Rizzini!

Go here Gunmaker Italian shotguns - Luciano Bosis

Certainly are, I bludged my way into most of them. Zoli, franchi were good, beretta were wankers and wouldn't let me in. Most interesting was a guy called Poli who builds 30 peices a year, one of the last remaining builders of hammer guns in Europe. Love his sub gauge hammer guns! The engraving was amazing, think 25,000 euro and a years wait to do a game scene on the side plates. Was like looking at a photo
    gqhoon, Toby and gsp follower like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Certainly are, I bludged my way into most of them. Zoli, franchi were good, beretta were wankers and wouldn't let me in. Most interesting was a guy called Poli who builds 30 peices a year, one of the last remaining builders of hammer guns in Europe. Love his sub gauge hammer guns! The engraving was amazing, think 25,000 euro and a years wait to do a game scene on the side plates. Was like looking at a photo
    Sounds like a fantastic trip! Very jealous! Hope you've taken a bunch of photos, looking forward to the trip report!!!

Yep plenty of pics, will do a report when I get off this stupid tablet. I don't know how I managed to turn a honeymoon into a gun shopping and kennel visiting trip! Must have married the right one
    jakewire, Munsey, gqhoon and 4 others like this.

[QUOTE=Pointer;356122]Yep plenty of pics, will do a report when I get off this stupid tablet. I don't know how I managed to turn a honeymoon into a gun shopping and kennel visiting trip! Must have married the right one[/QUOTE]

or one planning a patience based revenge pointer:
    your damn lucky tho mine groans when we pass a gunshop let alone stop.

Nah she's a goodie, gets to a new town and looks up gun shops for me haha... anyway back to the 28 gauge.

I wouldn't say it's a do all gun, it is limited on pheasant due to pellet count in the bigger shot sizes as described above. At best it is a nice 'sunny day' quail bore, nothing more. Still want one though
    Munsey, mikee and gsp follower like this.

i,l be interested to see how c404 goes with his this opening he,s already got canadas to his credit but is a good shot picker and good shot.

There are a couple of good Sporting clay shooters that use 28 gauges, and seem to punch out longish targets as good as anything.
    I think though probably a bit of experience on clays or game with a 'big' gun would pay good dividends.
    I personally use a 16 ga. on game and they are a pleasure to shoot, just a matter of which one (U/O, SxS or auto) to use on any day.
    Upland, pond and the like I reckon they would be a dream to use, but may I humbly suggest that you have some experience at shotgunning and game shooting.
    12, 20 are definitely are more widely available, with more combinations of barrel length, stocks, and configurations, but of coarse it's your call.

like GSPF, im awaiting to see c494 debut this dinky 28g.good shot -understatement -bugger headed to sth canterbury the other day with his latest sexy wee beast a 7x57 mauser and dropped some very plump venison, which his equally talented other half promptly processed for the freezer.
    BTW his other half does wonderful curries -so wonderful my ring would light up a whole intersection when this white boy goes to lay a log-compassionate is mrs C404 -"a..dear i only put half chillies in for him!."
    absolutely bloody delicious.remember my last opening day out the lake -twas colder than eskimo nells clit in a north pole orgy. I ate three pots of 404s duckshooters venison curry and boy did it do the job when it hit the spot.-a good cuppa and im defrosted raring to go again!
    if you ever get a chance give it a crack ,but dont cry as you sing "ring of fire"

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    yeah ,thats the one .apologies for the mistake. bloody nice wee weapon all round
    It's not a weapon, it is a sporting firearm! Weapons are for other things. No, there is no cast in the gun we are talking about. It is a really well made gun.
    The 28 gauge has long been touted as the the "little gauge that could". Well it does it's bit for sure. My first shot, literally, was on a crossing Canada, and it dropped like a bag of rocks into the dirt. Next one took two rounds and dropped into the grass.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C404 View Post
    It's not a weapon, it is a sporting firearm! Weapons are for other things. No, there is no cast in the gun we are talking about. It is a really well made gun.
    The 28 gauge has long been touted as the the "little gauge that could". Well it does it's bit for sure. My first shot, literally, was on a crossing Canada, and it dropped like a bag of rocks into the dirt. Next one took two rounds and dropped into the grass.
    then they dropped into my shed autopsied thrown in the pan ,through the guts and into the bog pan!buuuuuuuurrrrrrp-I love fresh organic meat!!
    righto this is it, its on saturday 0615hrs mayhem breaks loose .heres to happy huntin one and all.
    PS my son, a weapon is a weapon-not to be confused with your mutton gun-source NZarmy "introductory lesson to sexual differences male organs vs SLR7.62X51personal longarm"
    "that fuckers for shooting "
    "thats for fun ........,get your greasy little paw off it laddie!!not on my bloody parade ground you dont spotty herbert"!!!!!!