Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree7304Likes

Thread: Photos of your dog

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Does he wear a smoking jacket for the evenings?
    Ha ha I was thinking the same but with a monocle .
    veitnamcam and Barefoot like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

That's the "Take me hunting NOW Dad" look if ever I saw it.

A mate of mine had a couple of those short haired short tailed pointy nosed variety. We named one Kiri, and the other Dame Malvina. We had to wear earmuffs in the truck when we were going hunting.
    mikee likes this.

Any dog barking in the truck would never come hunting with me again!!!!
    Pointer likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Soon as they saw we were in hunting territory they would just howl like banshees until they were let out of the wagon. Other than that, they were good hunters.

Never had a noise problem with GWP' though.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    That's the "Take me hunting NOW Dad" look if ever I saw it.

A mate of mine had a couple of those short haired short tailed pointy nosed variety. We named one Kiri, and the other Dame Malvina. We had to wear earmuffs in the truck when we were going hunting.
    F#$k me thats funny, I just pictured that in my mind. Brothers GSP departs the truck after a shot has been fired (whether doors and windows are open OR CLOSED) to go fetch whatever it was
    Last edited by mikee; 02-02-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Mine starts when I hit the shingle .
    mikee likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

and why I would never feed a gsp.

I think we better be careful. Don't want to upset the GSP owners. I am sure they love their dogs as much as we love ours. Only thing is, I wonder if they suffer from premature deafness?
    I was asked a few times to take a mates GSP goose hunting to give it some experience. It was dead of winter under the base of Mt Tongariro. After less than 2 hours the GSP refused to go further and dug himself a nest inside a toi toi bush, a miserable shivering wreck. The GWP and I carried on, shot a few canada's and retrieved the piker a few hours later on the way back. I did have another one though, that was left to me by a relly who buggered off to OZ. This GSP was very solid, had no neck at all and could easily slip even three collars. His name was Bull. First time I took him upland game hunting he buggered off and came back half an hour late with a weaner pig (alive) in his mouth!

Night shooting ducks was only ever a one shot affair. Bull would stand quietly beside me in the dusk, while we overlooked a nice raupo swamp. A duck would come in and I would fire a shot. Whether the duck was shot or not was immaterial to Bull. He would immediately launch himself into the swamp and proceed to crash every stick of raupo for acres around, completely deaf to any calls to heel and making such a racket that it was impossible to hear any more birds. Finally, when all was pitch black and usually at least half an hour after closing time, Bull would happily return from the now flattened swamp, quite often with the duck in his mouth, grinning from ear to ear and convinced he had once again done a plurry fine job of sorting out those pesky ducks. He tested my patience, but he was a bloody clown. One sunny afternoon we were sitting out on the front lawn and Bull was lying down near some shrubs; - flat on his stomach and with his mouth wide open, flicking his tongue. He kept this up for about half an hour , other wise immobile and we couldn't figure out what the heck was up with him. All of a sudden, his big mouth closed with a clop, and he looked at me first raising one eyebrow, then the other. Out of the side of his mouth a mouse tale twitched. I will never ever forget that image. That dog was such a clever smart alec that all else of his incorrigible nature had to be forgiven, even his limited use for hunting.

@Pointer Team is looking good bro. Far Nth mission this year ?

Pointer. I have successfully hunted two dogs together for several years, but four? Do you share 4 dogs between 2 or more hunters, or leave some behind?
    Is the team mixed breeds? What are they?

Pointer. I have successfully hunted two dogs together for several years, but four? Do you share 4 dogs between 2 or more hunters, or leave some behind?
    They are all x breeds and he uses them to dog deer
    Pointer and Toby like this.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  696.1 KB
    3year old GSP will be looking for a sire around June this year, no papers but currently in Auckland previously in Invercargill,
    Luke.S and ONYVA like this.

Where's the rudder gone?
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Ace? Yours or the mrs's?
    I see you are breaking in the wedding tux
    Yes they are the marital gumboots. I have cut the top off them so they fit under my suit trousers

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Almost got enough there to trade up to a GSP
    'Up' isn't the word I would use

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    @Pointer Team is looking good bro. Far Nth mission this year ?
    Yep see if my greek mate with the brown dog is keen. Rekindle the magic

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Where's the rudder gone?
    Sawn off! A favourite of thugs and bandits the world over
    Petros_mk and Munsey like this.

Hi Woody, they are pointers, except for the hairy red spaniel on the far right. Both the red mud spaniel and the young liver pointer pup are my partners, so to answer your question I only shoot over the remaining two.

I don't usually run my dogs braced when shooting alone, I run them alternately, easier to handle one and have one at heel. I will run them braced if a mate is shooting however. Like you I think two dogs is a must for any upland shooter, never seem to run the legs off them that way, and always have fresh dogs up your sleeve
    Munsey, mikee and Woody like this.