Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Varimax Quick-change muzzlebrake

Over the past few weeks I have been flat out trying to get some of my DFM muzzle brakes stock levels up a bit, and this now includes reasonable numbers of the Varimax-QC brakes in 1/2-28 , M14x1.0mm, and 9/16-24 - these being the most popular thread sizes. Have been exporting a lot of them too, which is neat. I particularly like selling to the US and CDN market - a bit like selling ice to Eskimos! - but knowing that people have found out THE place to buy the best world leading muzzle brakes is little ol' NZ - well that is pretty cool.

I still have testing vids of the brakes on my website, but really should get around to updating them soon, as some are a little dated now being a few years old, but still good info there , especially on the purpose built recoil testing machine for measurable recoil energy results. Also a good comparison test with suppressors, which debunks the claim from some suppressor makers about '50-70% recoil reduction' with their suppressors. (Lol..... )

www.muzzlebrakes.co.nz

Cheers, and happy new year guys!
    Dean.
    Bushrash, Blaser, BRADS and 2 others like this.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

whats one cost to be fitted ? my barrels already threaded as it came with a early gen hardy can its a weatherby vanguard s/s in 300 winmag

Have been using one of Deans QC brakes for nearly 18 months now.
    I have put about 600 rounds down range through my .270wsm and apart from needing a clean every 30-40 rounds, the brake has been trouble free and performed exactly as expected.
    Operator error did cause what at first I suspected could be permanent hearing damage, after forgetting to put my hearing protection on whilst shooting a chamois at 510m a couple of days ago with the ports open, but I won't be making that mistake again!
    Highly recommended piece of kit!
    dfmaisey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesae101 View Post
    whats one cost to be fitted ? my barrels already threaded as it came with a early gen hardy can its a weatherby vanguard s/s in 300 winmag
    I have found that fitting this model of brake to previously threaded barrels can be a bit problematic, or just not really do-able.

They ideally need to be indexed to certain orientation like a side port brake, the thread fit tolerance must be snug or close (not sloppy), and the thread extension length cannot be longer than 14.5mm.

There may be a few cases where the existing thread may be able to be used or modified, but in general i prefer to quote them on the basis of it being a new install where the brake is custom threaded and indexed onto the barrel in one setup. Less hassles this way. Just means chopping off the existing thread, so you would only lose 13-15mm approx.
    Zap me an email if you want price estimates including freight back to you, cheers.

My Quatromax brakes are generally better suited for fitting to prethreaded barrels as they don't need to be indexed, and are available in a 'long' thread recess option.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

What sort of point of impact change would you expect from Quatromax brake with it off for close shooting and on for longer shots?
    Barrel is a Number 5 Kreiger in 7mm

Thanks

Also what is weight of Quatro max?

Weight of Varimax QC ?

n

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    What sort of point of impact change would you expect from Quatromax brake with it off for close shooting and on for longer shots?
    Barrel is a Number 5 Kreiger in 7mm

Thanks

Also what is weight of Quatro max?

Weight of Varimax QC ?

n
    Weights are for unfitted brakes, and approximate only. Varies depending on thread size, and bore size, as well as tapering after fitting to barrel.

Quatromax - 73 grams. Varimax-QC 137grams.

POI shift between on and off can be hard to determine, as it really depends on barrel profile, but also the harmonics of the barrel itself. It can be as little as 1/4" at 100 yards, or maybe 2" at 100 yards perhaps for a really skinny whippy barrel. For a #5 contour i would expect that the POI shift would be at the minimal end of the scale.

Usually a guy will sight in with the brake on at 100 yards or longer ranges. For offhand shooting of deer, etc at close range (i.e. 10 yards to 60 yards) the POI shift becomes irrelevant, as it gets less with the reduced distance. (i.e. half or less).
    Toby likes this.

So your muzzle break is a bit like the one that savage have been selling for more than 20 years on their bear rifle?
    Review: Savage Model 116 Bear Hunter - RifleShooter

Similar, but different. Mine features a more efficient porting design that is essentially milled (not drilled) graduated discharge chambers, and a better more secure locking system. Hence the Patent title is 'An improved adjustable muzzle brake for a rifle'.

Actually i thought Savage had discontinued their version because of problems with their design. I am aware of another one that also had drilled holes and a detent ball locking system for the sleeve positions, but the problem with that one was a tendency for the sleeve to want to self rotate around upon firing, over-riding the detent ball lock. My system is more secure and more reliable, as well as actually being a better brake than the others as well. Cheers.