Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 69 12345678910111213141551 ... LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: AR Thread

AR Thread

Thought this might be a good idea to start a thread for others to post some pics, specs, build ups, experiences, recommendations etc that could give ideas for those AR newbies thinking of buying or building an AR.

As a Newbie - I have absolutely no idea. (But I know someone that will help me, eh Muzr )
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Are you going to have a new killing stick for the next roo shoot cambo? I would love one but really struggle to hide purchasing toys on the single income these days....

Buy it in bits. I was just getting some spares/changing bits and now I seem to have another complete rifle.
    steven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by keen fella View Post
    Are you going to have a new killing stick for the next roo shoot cambo? I would love one but really struggle to hide purchasing toys on the single income these days....
    Ummmmmmm If I win lotto yes. Really need a decent scope yet for the WSM.
    "The boss" isn't too keen on me getting another weapon of mass destruction, but if she doesn't find out.....hehehe!
    In the meantime Muzr has plenty I can play with eh.

Quote Originally Posted by compound View Post
    Buy it in bits. I was just getting some spares/changing bits and now I seem to have another complete rifle.
    What did you get compound? What brands, bits etc? Come on, spill brother. lol

A build up with pics could be good........

DPMS lower with RRA trigger kit. Scorpion tactical upper and Bolt. 20" cromoly barrel and Hogue forend. Low profile gas block and rifle length gas tube. RRA A2 operator stock. That was the original swap/spares plan but now going to fit an A2 gas block once Im geared up for it and found the delta ring assy and barrel nut to suit.

Great cheers compound.
    All that stuff helps.

-------------------------------

What would be good is if you have got parts to build up an AR, let us know where you get them from (either from the US or a NZ supplier).

Also compare DI (Direct Impingement) and piston types.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Great cheers compound.
    All that stuff helps.

-------------------------------

What would be good is if you have got parts to build up an AR, let us know where you get them from (either from the US or a NZ supplier).

Also compare DI (Direct Impingement) and piston types.
    So Far
    Brownells,
    Have 3 x Stripped lowers, 3 x JP triggers, 3 x LPKs, 3 x ARFX stocks incl Buffer tube and buffer. Currently waiting on 2 x Kreiger barrels, 2 DPMS Diamond coat Bolt / carrier assemblies 2 stripped uppers (8 months on B/Order), and 2 JP Freefloat tubes, 2 pri adjustable gas blocks plus all the sundry bits and bobs to go with them.

Currently own a RRA lower with All JP bits. A 16 inch Suppressed Custom barreled upper (rock creek / ABS barrel) and a 20 inch RRA upper with JP barrel profile and comp. All have adjustable Gas blocks

How did you get on getting the stuff out of the US Mikee? No dramas? Any hints/tips?
    Happy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    How did you get on getting the stuff out of the US Mikee? No dramas? Any hints/tips?
    Easy, Get your import permit here, make your order at Brownells ( I always choose USPS Priority Mail international as shipping method) and send the NZ import permit, a written purchase order, completed DSP-83 and End User Statement signed in ink to them. (They will send them to you once you order). They take care of the rest of the export doccumentation. This end, sent your permit to customs once they advise they have your stuff, Pay GST and fees if required and all good. Advise your local AO once you have recieved your order (in writing) and all good.
    Easier than it sounds. Although lately a little more difficult at this end as local AOs have apparently been advised to to assist clearance of A cat parts as they do not require permits receivers accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Easy, Get your import permit here, make your order at Brownells ( I always choose USPS Priority Mail international as shipping method) and send the NZ import permit, a written purchase order, completed DSP-83 and End User Statement signed in ink to them. (They will send them to you once you order). They take care of the rest of the export doccumentation. This end, sent your permit to customs once they advise they have your stuff, Pay GST and fees if required and all good. Advise your local AO once you have recieved your order (in writing) and all good.
    Easier than it sounds. Although lately a little more difficult at this end as local AOs have apparently been advised to to assist clearance of A cat parts as they do not require permits receivers accepted.
    FIRST Check with Brownells that the parts you are wanting can actually be exported, ie that the manufacturer is registered for export. Then apply for your NZ import permit. Nothing worse than having to get new permits sorted out when the part you want can't be exported. Make sure your paperwork is in order before posting off. I email a copy first for Brownells to check before posting the hardcopys over. Other than that Mikee has explained the process well. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    FIRST Check with Brownells that the parts you are wanting can actually be exported, ie that the manufacturer is registered for export. Then apply for your NZ import permit. Nothing worse than having to get new permits sorted out when the part you want can't be exported. Make sure your paperwork is in order before posting off. I email a copy first for Brownells to check before posting the hardcopys over. Other than that Mikee has explained the process well. Best of luck.
    Good point, I check with Brownells if Manufacturer is registered for export.
    My last NZ import permit had following descriptions on it
    2 x AR15 Barrel assemblies (complete)
    2 x AR14 Bolt / Carrier assemblies (complete)
    2 x AR15 Handguard Assemblies (complete)

Then I wnt shopping
    Local AO said permit was not required really anymore but issued one to speed up things clearing customs etc.
    He retired shortly after

Purchased my first AR in sep from Ken at nzar15, NEA 15 DMR model. Did a lot or research on the net about them and others and had a look a a chinese model. The yanks dont like the NEA probably because they are made in canada they like them in SA tho. The NEA has a lifetime warranty on the barrel not sure if the gun has a lifetime warranty aswell.
    Seems nearly all ARs have gritty triggers usa made ones as well. (from what ive read on ar15.com)
    After about 80rounds thru mine had no issues or stoppages at all, getting 1 1/2'' @ 100 using fiocchi 55 grain and the same with belmonts 60grain sp load.
    Gun is settling down and shooting consistently good groups, The trigger was not nice very gritty and heavy so i have removed it and polished the sears no grittyness now but will fit a timney at some stage. Im happy with my purchase the only other ar ive used was a colt m16 awhile back in the military.
    For just over 2k spent plus i bought a burris p.e.p.r with a leupold. There is no way i would have bought the chinese one for 2k from h & F which was junk in my opinion
    Seems in the last month we are being flooded with AR15s and delta sector nz has a lot on offer with the bushmaster just under $2300

Are the NEA milspec so bits are interchangeable with other brands?

Unsure of that cambo you could ask ken at nzar15, or someone else on here will know.
    NEA have a range of uppers and a 300blk in the pipeline