Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Lupo 30-06 load development "the lone wolf"

they are yours.....just pass them onwards when you finished with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    they are yours.....just pass them onwards when you finished with them.
    Bloody hell mate
    #DANNYCENT

Those loads are looking pretty good, my Ruger has a 22 inch barrel and going by my Chrono i am getting 2780 fps but that also depends on how accurate the chrono is reading.
    You are right about a 178 gr at 2700 fps it's going to work a treat.
    Are those Lupo rifles stainless under a cerakote coating or do they just have a protective coating on them.
    Pulled shots aside the rifle is a good shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Those loads are looking pretty good, my Ruger has a 22 inch barrel and going by my Chrono i am getting 2780 fps but that also depends on how accurate the chrono is reading.
    You are right about a 178 gr at 2700 fps it's going to work a treat.
    Are those Lupo rifles stainless under a cerakote coating or do they just have a protective coating on them.
    Pulled shots aside the rifle is a good shooter.
    Not stainless, no idea how accurate the chrono is or isn't but it was always within a few fps of my old bayonet style chrono.
    2780fps is fair humming is that eldm or x and what powder, charge and length ? Dont get me wrong I'm happy with where im at just curious
    #DANNYCENT

I’d be tempted to try a bit more powder, very often I find the accuracy node just under max pressure. If you’re not seeing pressure sign on brass or bolt lift work up 60+ in smaller increments, like 0.3 gns
    jakewire likes this.

As I said my chrono may not be reading correct but in saying that some loads I have chrono in other rifles and then validated the drop have been pretty close, so reasonably confident it is good info I am getting.
    My load is with the 178gr ELDX with 58 grs SF and the COAL is 84 mm.
    I have two chrono's so I might line them both up so I can get a reading of the same shot over two different chrono's, one is a F1 Chrono the other a Pro Chrono plus.
    I tried this with some 223 loads and got readings between 10 and 50 fps between the two units for the same loads. Might give it a go with the 30 06.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    As I said my chrono may not be reading correct but in saying that some loads I have chrono in other rifles and then validated the drop have been pretty close, so reasonably confident it is good info I am getting.
    My load is with the 178gr ELDX with 58 grs SF and the COAL is 84 mm.
    I have two chrono's so I might line them both up so I can get a reading of the same shot over two different chrono's, one is a F1 Chrono the other a Pro Chrono plus.
    I tried this with some 223 loads and got readings between 10 and 50 fps between the two units for the same loads. Might give it a go with the 30 06.
    That's interesting indeed, my C.O.A.L is 84.68mm so not much longer than yours.....every rifle is different as is every chrono wonder if those eldx pills are just a little slipperier and that helps themmfly a little quicker ?
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    That's interesting indeed, my C.O.A.L is 84.68mm so not much longer than yours.....every rifle is different as is every chrono wonder if those eldx pills are just a little slipperier and that helps themmfly a little quicker ?
    If its a new rifle the barrel may well speed up a bit with a few hundred rounds down it.
    jakewire, mikee, chainsaw and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Back to the range this morning with the 2 most consistent loads.
    Made every shot count, no excuses, made sure I was comfortable and completely solid.
    The 58.5gn load E.S increased not to about 30fps not huge but more than I'm happy with, it still shot .8" 3 shot group at 100 yards with the same P.O.I as yesterday.
    Factors could be clean and stone cold barrel, about 8 degrees cooler and over cast instead of sunny....

Name:  20211026_124930.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  3.55 MB

The 59gn load shot pretty much straight after the first group showed where it's at, the E.S increased slightly to 11fps but the group shrunk considerably and I put it down to really making sure I was comfortable behind the rifle with a rock solid position.
    The results....3 shots at 100yards, 11fps E.S into .352" group. I'll call that good enough

Name:  20211026_125036.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  3.70 MB
    Last edited by dannyb; 26-10-2021 at 01:12 PM.
    #DANNYCENT

Here's a pic without the calipers in the way.

Name:  20211026_123436.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  3.55 MB

We have been using a ring of firewood to screw the targets into.....the 30-06 certainly hits with authority, who needs a splitter when you've got a 30-06.....

Name:  20211026_122824.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  6.99 MB
    jakewire, Tahr, veitnamcam and 4 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    From what I've read the Eldx has abit of a harder jacket meaning abit more resistance and therefore more pressure. Also it is longer than the eldm so also lose abit of internal capacity in the case due to that.

Hot tip, do load dev with 4 that way you have a saving grace from the old 'pulled' one
    jakewire, veitnamcam and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Hot tip, do load dev with 4 that way you have a saving grace from the old 'pulled' one
    Have been known to do it with 5 or 6 in the past these days I'm pretty confident I can call bad shots, but yeah was trying to be frugal with components until I knew where the sweet spot was.
    Now if only my new brass would arrive I can put this all to bed and call it completely done.
    When my new brass arrives I'll probably load up 9 rounds .3gn below, the same as best load above and .3gn above and see what that yields.
    Hopefully the Starline brass behaves similar or the same as the Sako stuff, either way I cant see the result changing too much loaded to the same specs.
    #DANNYCENT

You are on fire. A classy accurate set up.
    Enjoy it.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    You are on fire. A classy accurate set up.
    Enjoy it.
    My very first brand spanking new rifle, have owned plenty of other very nice rifles but never a new one.
    Time to harvest some venni hopefully, as for the first time in over a year the freezer is starting to look a little bare.
    Last edited by dannyb; 26-10-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    Tahr, veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT