Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Lupo 30-06 load development "the lone wolf"

After what can only be described as an incredibly frustrating session at the range plagued by chrono issues there may be at last progress.
    I had big issues getting the chrono to work properly so much so that the lower end of my ladder was pretty much useless.
    I kept getting bogus readings (literally 1000fps out low) and error messages, accuracy seemed to be inconsistent and I was starting to get really pissed off and contemplated packing up and calling it quits for the day
    Finally about half way up my ladder the chrono seemed to be cooperating and the groups for the most part started to show some promise.
    Unfortunately I still got some errors on my 2 best groups which meant I could only calculate E.S from 2 rounds on both but the velocities were consistent with charges of the same or very close to the same weight yesterday with the Starline brass.
    As far as consistent E.S goes this combo certainly has a sweet spot around 59gn
    I need to load a few more up and try get some more data and hopefully similar groups, I note that the P.O.I from yesterday's 59gn group is consistent with todays 59.1n group and also the velocity is about right too considering the charge weight is.1gn more.
    Anyway I'll load up pics shortly of the top half of the ladder. Hopefully ge a few more loaded today and get back to the range this afternoon.

57.9gn

Name:  20211030_121402.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  4.50 MB

58.2 only 2 shots registered over the chrono

Name:  20211030_121410.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  3.57 MB

58.5gn dunno what happened here but nothing good

Name:  20211030_121416.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  4.23 MB

58.8gn only 2 shots read over the chrono

Name:  20211030_121424.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  4.29 MB

59.1gn the sweet spot.....Hopefully. again only 2 shots read over the chrono

Name:  20211030_121428.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  4.05 MB
    Last edited by dannyb; 30-10-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    #DANNYCENT

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    If 59.1 is repeatable you've nailed it.
    It has though seemed to get better as you've got faster...Hmmm
    Last edited by jakewire; 30-10-2021 at 01:31 PM.
    dannyb likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

humour me if you will good sir.....get blank bit of paper and transpher ALL you shots onto it..... still a very dead deer LMFAO.....
    looks like you have her dialed in.....

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    If 59.1 is repeatable you've nailed it.
    That's a big if.....

I'm gonna load up 10 or 12 at that weight and shoot a couple groups and see what happens
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    humour me if you will good sir.....get blank bit of paper and transpher ALL you shots onto it..... still a very dead deer LMFAO.....
    looks like you have her dialed in.....
    I know what your getting at MD and yup inside 300 yards pretty much any of the consistent E.S loads will do, I often shoot well past 300 yards though and it starts to matter a lot more the further out you go. I just want to be sure for those occasions and to have confidence that my rifle and load are consistent.
    #DANNYCENT

LOL.....it will show new to reloaders.....and new to shooters ...that sometimes things arent as bad as may first look.
    stoked you having such good results after so little effort...relatively speaking.
    Ive only fired 2 rounds of .22lr today...but two hares came home for dog tucker .
    dannyb likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    That's a big if.....

I'm gonna load up 10 or 12 at that weight and shoot a couple groups and see what happens
    Yup
    and you've had the 59.3 which wasn't too bad either
    I couldn't help myself, I'd load 4 at 59.5 as well , you know, just to see.... just in case
    Tahr and veitnamcam like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Yup
    and you've had the 59.3 which wasn't too bad either
    I couldn't help myself, I'd load 4 at 59.5 as well , you know, just to see.... just in case
    Too late I've loaded up my confirmation rounds, off to the range either later today or tomorrow
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

More confusion...
    Loaded up 12 rounds
    Shot 2 foulers and then 2x 5 shot groups

Name:  20211030_181039.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  3.05 MB

Name:  20211030_181028.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  3.19 MB

The velocity has increased to 2760fps with an E.S of 18fps that's a 30fps increase on this mornings loads of the same weight.
    I'm starting to wonder if my scales are on the piss.
    The accuracy was good and even though the second group opened up a little the barrel was pretty warm after 12 shots.
    My Lyman gen 6 has a tendency to drift a little .1-.2 of a gn but I keep an eye on it and dump any charge if the scale drifts.
    Starting to make me wonder if it is the culprit, I always let it warm up for at least an hour before using it and I'm getting good E.S just the velocity seems to jump around from batch to batch...
    Not like I can go out and buy a chargemaster currently but if anyone local has 1 I can use to test my theory I'd be very grateful, likewise if anyone is selling I'd be very interested
    #DANNYCENT

so......are shots grouped together sequential ??? or is it random.....EG did you get the three close together,then the 2
    the 2,the 2 and single???

throw a projectile on scales..note its weight...then weigh it multiple times again over time...will soon tell you if scales vary...but seriously .1-.2 of a grain SHOULDNT be your issue.....

I can nearly guarantee that if you are using an optical chronograph you will get a range in data. E.g it might be precise but not accurate. Also a 3 shot group doesn't give you meaningful es data in my opinion.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Also 30fps is like a 1% error in range. You will have larger error with the setup of chronograph each time. Remember its only reading over a very short distance between the censors
    Micky Duck likes this.

.1 .2 of a grain shouldn't make any difference at all in a 60grn case if you are in the middle of a node.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I can nearly guarantee that if you are using an optical chronograph you will get a range in data. E.g it might be precise but not accurate. Also a 3 shot group doesn't give you meaningful es data in my opinion.
    Hence why I loaded up 12 rounds, I just don't understand how the 3 rounds I loaded to the same charge weight this morning were 30fps slower than the 12 rounds I loaded this afternoon.
    2730fps vs 2760fps
    Am I worrying about nothing or is there something else going on here ?
    There was no P.O.I shift from this morning to this afternoon other than I adjusted the scope 4 clicks left.

And yes optical chrono (caldwell if it matters)
    #DANNYCENT