Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree5560Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Shot some load development with the 57gn Outer edge copper Monolithic projectiles today .
    I'm using 2206H powder and I just can't get enough in the case to get up to the next accuracy node , 25gn is compressed but shows no pressure signs .
    Outer Edge recommend BM2 powder , so might have to track some down .
    I definitely found an accuracy node between 23.6gn and 24gn , but I have no idea of the velocity because I don't have a chronograph .
    I'm confident that these things will be the ducks nuts , but they need to be driven fast to really shine and show their true devastation on target .
    The top left target was using Fiocchi factory ammo to sight in because I'd had the scope off the rifle
    Micky Duck and Black Rabbit like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

23.6gr looks good, I would be going with that. Your powder could be a hot batch so may be going quick enough.
    When hunting think safety first

see if you can find winchester 748 if cant get the BM2 as you will be able to fit more in the case being a ball powder.
    techno retard likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

You need to get a chronograph. I’m loading 26gns of 2206h with a 69gn pill.
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Same book max for a 60gn pill. Be fine with a 57gn pill. Just work up your load.
    Name:  1053A615-6231-4DF1-AFF7-87FB51BC264F.jpeg
Views: 621
Size:  291.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    You need to get a chronograph. I’m loading 26gns of 2206h with a 69gn pill.
    A Chronograph is on the wish list , maybe a self funded Christmas present
    The issue with these projectiles is that they are really long ( copper monolithic) and at the recommended seating depth they protrude down into the case quite a bit .
    I knew when I started that 2206H wasn’t probably going to be the right powder , but it is what I have on hand at the moment.
    The good news though is that my little test yesterday has shown that they will shoot in my rifle/ barrel .
    A couple of guys that I’ve been in contact with who use these say that they up the .223 effectiveness by quite a margin on bigger / heavier Pigs etc and that’s what I’m chasing.
    Nathan F and viper like this.

Here is link to a podcast with the owner/ developer of Outer Edge projectiles .
    Hope the link works for anyone that might be interested .

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcas...=1000531075357

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    The issue with these projectiles is that they are really long ( copper monolithic) and at the recommended seating depth they protrude down into the case quite a bit .
    I knew when I started that 2206H wasn’t probably going to be the right powder , but it is what I have on hand at the moment.
    The good news though is that my little test yesterday has shown that they will shoot in my rifle/ barrel .
    A couple of guys that I’ve been in contact with who use these say that they up the .223 effectiveness by quite a margin on bigger / heavier Pigs etc and that’s what I’m chasing.
    Fair enough. Just out of interest put the caliper's on the bullet for OAL . I will measure mine later and report back.

Just measured up some projectiles.
    Outer Edge 57gn = 23.0mm
    Hornady 60gn Vmax = 22.1mm

But a lot of the difference is in the Ogive , I don’t have a way of measuring the Ogive but for example.
    When measuring cartridge OAL to the lands in my rifle the length is .

Outer Edge 57gn = 58.42mm
    Hornady Vmax 60gn = 59.62mm
    The Vmax is seated out further before it touches the lands , so there is an immediate increase in available space in the case , that plus the fact that the Outer Edge is 0.9mm longer to begin with and that it needs a bigger jump to the lands all contributes to 2206H not being the best choice.
    Outer Edge has recommended load data for their projectiles and I can see now why their advice is for BM2 .

20 odd goats 3 spikers and 16 pigs for the .223 yesterday arvo on a sweap of the new pine trees over the back one 70pound sow shot in the crease with the 65gk made it all of 15 yards everything else was head shot

Absolute little laser and these 65 game kings hold their own when needed to put one threw the vitals fountains of blood from the pork
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Nathan F, Tahr, veitnamcam and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    well I used 24.5grns of same AR2206h for many years with 50-55grn projectiles...still do,have upped it to 25.1grn with a barnes 50grn ttsx with good results on deer n pigs...
    the terminal result is like a mildly loaded .243 or .270 using cup n core projectiles but the damage is done in reverse order eg lots damage near side,little hole farside.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Gees mate leave some for me, all in an afternoon. Good shooting also like the GKs.

All i managed to do with my 223 over the long weekend was "educate " a couple of stags
    Tahr and Trout like this.

77 Sierra TMK (last night)

325 yards, chest.
    Name:  IMG_7166.jpeg
Views: 442
Size:  7.10 MB

220 yds, neck.
    Name:  IMG_7172.jpeg
Views: 409
Size:  6.87 MB
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Did the 325 yard chest shot exit @Tahr? Looks like a yearling maybe, not very big?

Well done on the neck shot, very tidy! Pays not to be a deer when Tahr is about with a rifle ��