Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree5560Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    funny thats a bit like a pissing contest.... who can go the furtherest..
    for ME harvesting a deer is NOTHING like that... NOTHING AT ALL.
    I usually use my faithful .270 but at times feel like a change so carry something else,I KNOW the range will need to be closer and my aim better... if I do my bit and poke that tiny bit of metal in right place all is good.
    Yeh mate, I’m sure that’s most often the case.
    I’m sure most of us have our favourites, and a few others in our collection, so we take them out for a walk. But I tend to refer back to type, my old faithful is my 308.
    It’s a rare thing it’s found wanting, and by in large there’s enough overkill in it to make up for my inadequacies…
    I’m no sniper or Peter Hathaway Capstick!
    Micky Duck likes this.

That’s not what this thread is about. It’s about killing deer with .223’s. Take the ethics and moral high ground elsewhere. Not on this thread. Phillip Holdens chapter may have had relevance in the 1970’s , not in 2022. Optics , reloading and bullet selection make a huge difference. Some points are valid. A lot are moot.
    HUNTY, JoshC and Southerner223 like this.

As posted on other threads I’ve used 222,223 &308 over last 46 years. Shot thousands of animals, lost one or two as you do. The lighter cals. are just as effective as bigger cal. as long as the nut behind the butt does their part. Just got to be aware of conditions and make allowance for them. As pointed out in post above one can get lazy or complacent about where they aim with larger cal. I have a soft spot for 308 but since shoulder surgery I tend to use 223 almost exclusively. It’s a lot easier on the body with multiple shots and just as effective The only difference from Holden’s days is 50gr psp 222 back then vs 55gr psp 223 now. I do play around with heavier bullets but about 90% use 55gr. Just my 2 cents.
    Micky Duck and trapperjohn like this.

You can’t compare Holden shooting factory 50 grain .222 with a modern fast twist .223 with hand loaded heavy bullets.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Lauries Hut View Post
    In a way it’s a bit like surfing.
    If you’ve ever surfed some of the big waves at the internationally famous breaks like Pipeline or Waimea Bay, the smaller you call the wave, the bigger the man you are.
    So 3 guys will go out, one will call it 30’ one will say it’s only 28, and so on. In actual fact it’s probably 35 foot.

Obviously successfully killing a deer with a light calibre at longer distances proves your hunting prowess. The lighter the bullet and the further….
    This thread is about the performance and capability of the 222/223. It’s been on point for 46 pages. Now this. Why??
    Nathan F, Trout, HUNTY and 2 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    You can’t compare Holden shooting factory 50 grain .222 with a modern fast twist .223 with hand loaded heavy bullets.
    Wasn’t really trying to, just noted that 55gr 223 does the job as good today as back then. Only had trouble finding two out of twenty-seven deer in last few months. Of course faster twist barrels and heavier bullets add another dimension.
    Tahr, Rusky, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

thats the interesting bit.....you can get 55grn loads for the .243 too......
    its all about putting that tiny bit of metal in the right place....for sure the heavier pills AND mono pills around today have upped its preformance no end.... yo ustill got to poke it in right place...THAT MUCH HASNT CHANGED.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

another way of saying what Im trying to get across.....any cartridge has good loads,OK loads, really good loads and some absolute shockers....
    the secret is to use a good bugger or make plurry sure you poke it where its weaknesses wont stop it killing well.
    I KNOW of members on here who bush shoot sika using 50-55grn vmax with great results...all about placement.
    shikes my last deer I didnt use a 223.....I just happened to have its older smaller sibling in my hands,the wee fallow didnt complain,it took half dozen wobbly steps and fell over dead...JOB DONE.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Or Rex Forrester recalling shooting deer with a .22 when possum hunting. Right off the topic now. So 65gr sierra or 52 Targex or 55gr Barnes. Might as well throw in a 53gr Barnes.

Centre shoulder shot. Off hand at 80 yards. 80grn Targex drove right through into the off shoulder. I only found shards of copper. Ran a few yards, reared up, and died. Name:  838E2E95-3DE6-477F-9BC5-4B1FA9646440.jpeg
Views: 453
Size:  3.49 MB
    Nathan F, nor-west, Trout and 10 others like this.
    - Rumi

good back on track
    viper and charliehorse like this.

223 is a great little round not ideal for a beginner hunter as said you need to poke the round in the right place and isn't as forgiving as a 308 or 270. That being said you know what the range limits of your 223 and projectile choice and half the fun is getting in close enough to make it count and satisfying that part of hunting/shooting

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  170.4 KB

55gr Sierra game king, 3125 fps. 274m. dropped on the spot.
    Nathan F, Tahr, Trout and 5 others like this.

the size of some of the fallow now with numbers up a .222 or .223 bout all one needs otherwise mince meat -projectile choice though everything and where this forum is great for reloaders - and the new hunters - wise old heads who have actually tried various projectiles - always seemed to me in DOC and earlier Forest Service the USA made .222 was crap on killing although accurate ( federal winchester ) the Euro made ammo especially Sako and Norma killed well on goats and deer . Sako was always our favourite -I guess the USA made stuff was designed for gopher smoking- but in the red roar .308 every time
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Yes @Barry the hunter . There are some pitiful Fallow around.

I shot this pregnant doe culling a couple of days ago. She was poorly grown out and light.150 yards and the lung shot 80 grn Targex went right through her and left a gaping hole as you would expect. But in reality any 222/223 would have dealt to her.

Name:  IMG_7232.jpeg
Views: 765
Size:  5.45 MB
    - Rumi