Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree993Likes

Thread: Kaimanawa Forest Park

One solution is to boycott Helisika.
    I suspect the vast majority of their business comes from kiwi hunters. They’re obviously branching out into mountain biking. Stop flying with them until they open up the road.

there is one statement there in that stuff article provided by BSA from DOC that makes my blood boil "the Department is not obliged to seek access across private land " DOC if you read this that is a bloody gutless cop out -no other word for it -
    Ross Nolan likes this.

It still gets me how National Parks which are public land are increasingly referred to DOC Estate land. DOC doesn't own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    there is one statement there in that stuff article provided by BSA from DOC that makes my blood boil "the Department is not obliged to seek access across private land " DOC if you read this that is a bloody gutless cop out -no other word for it -
    The first 1 km of that land parcel commonly known as Waipakahi rd is indeed in the Tongariro National Park. That's why the bollards and gate are 1 km in off the state highway. All private businesses that conduct money making activities on or through the Public Estate managed my DoC are required to obtain a concession from DoC.

Well there you go. There is a point of leverage if ever I have seen one: Manage public access along what is commonly known as Waipakahi road, or you don't obtain a concession to drive through the Tongariro National Park to run your private money making business. You'll have to fly clients and staff in and out of your base in there.

But in this day and age....yeah nah
    Ross Nolan likes this.

BSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    It still gets me how National Parks which are public land are increasingly referred to DOC Estate land. DOC doesn't own it.
    I refuse to use the terms DOC or Doc Estate. Call it what it is Public Land(s)
    Woody, chainsaw and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA View Post
    Article in Stuff this morning on the Kaimanawa Access issue. I'd say if they have gone public with this article closure is imminent but my opinion only.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...near-desert-rd
    Hi BSA
    I saw the piece this morning but found it had been removed by this afternoon!!!!!

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Siteline View Post
    Hi BSA
    I saw the piece this morning but found it had been removed by this afternoon!!!!!
    Article is still there for me

It seemed like a balanced article.The MSM are ok when they are saying what you want.

The overt racism on here and other places was noted.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

@Tahr; I just took time to re-read this entire thread and I did not find any overt racism in it. The thread is in general very constructive and includes repeated acknowledgement appreciating the concerns of the Rotoaira IWI.
    Ranger 888 likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    @Tahr; I just took time to re-read this entire thread and I did not find any overt racism in it. The thread is in general very constructive and includes repeated acknowledgement appreciating the concerns of the Rotoaira IWI.
    You are correct. I had in my mind the thread about the DOC wild animal management job.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Thought that may have been the case.
    Tahr likes this.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    There is a bit on some of the Facebook posts.

We're not farcebook here though ay.
    chainsaw and 300CALMAN like this.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I read the article on stuff, and the one in the Sunday Star times, and note that they are different - and the Star Times paper version appears to say that the land parcel the road is on was given away in the 70's - contradicting what they also had said regarding ownership, but I guess editing or something.

What does interest me is the role of the Federated Mountain Clubs in all of this. Early on reached out to their local rep and received an answer essentially saying we aren't looking to upset the adjacent land owners. She has asked me to keep the details of the email private, but the tone of the correspondence was not at all what I would have expected from a group who have among their stated aims (taken from their website)
    all New Zealanders should have free and enabling access to all public land.
    FMC will promote the connectivity of public land
    where land under non-public tenure, including Crown pastoral lease, separates public land from public access then, following consultation, provision should be made for practical and enduring public access to the public land.

Elsewhere they claim to keep an eye on DOC and the Government, and I take this quote directly from their Vice Presidents online bio - it seems especially apt here
    This work has taught me that our conservation estate is managed by often-unaccountable officials,
    behind closed doors and sometimes without, necessarily, recourse to the relevant policies or laws.

Finally, while I wonder if it is possible to separate the self appointed guardians of the conservation estate (Public lands, that is - owned by all New Zealanders) from being too intertwined with DOC, and thus concerned with their income as it is a small country, and there is always going to be the same people involved (I know that many DOC staff are there because they really do care).
    I am struck by the VERY conciliatory attitude of the Rotorua rep, and note from her FMC bio that her day job is contracting to the Backcountry Trust - a group who do excellent work that should be applauded by all users of the land we all value and love. Digging a tiny bit into the backcountry Trust website give this regarding funding -
    Sponsors
    We are primarily funded by DOC, but are also supported by a select band of like-minded corporate sponsors to whom we are very grateful. (Italics mine)

I am in an industry that is pretty much entirely to do with government funding one way or another - water and waste water. As a result I have to moderate my public utterances on various subjects - Three Waters, for example, for I know that it could have a direct effect on my ability to win projects, pay my staff and buy my groceries.

I wonder if this applies to other fields as well? I wonder how other folks manage the conflict between their desire to do good and their need to not offend their paymaster?

What we have here is a fairly simple matter -at it's heart is that the land, while not a road, absolutely is Crown owned. The question is, who is going to control it? As we have all seen, ownership is not as important as the ability to control what happens, and I would be very disappointed to see the loss of access that the Waipakahi road allows being lost to satisfy a group with their own commercial gain at the centre of their concerns.

Helisika - I'm done with you.
    tetawa, john m, erniec and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    and if B.W. is even half right in his number of animals "migrating " from public land onto private.......the private land owners should be very forthcoming with open access to public land to keep down the ravishing hoards or animals...
    Not a chance - I'd be willing to bet good money that Helisika will be doing flyin trips to the new Rangipo blocks, and too many deer wouldn't be an issue.
    Shearer likes this.