Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: what are people thinking the start date of the roar will be .... ?

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    How do the stags know the hinds are cycling if they have got no hinds.
    They put it on their Facebook status

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Next Wednesday 23-3
    At 4.19 pm.
    DBD likes this.

They normally kick off at about half past

Waiting for the end of the roar before I head out to keep out of the traffic in the hills.

Sika stags are roaring

DBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    Waiting for the end of the roar before I head out to keep out of the traffic in the hills.
    Those hills need deer traffic lights
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

They will start on the 1st of April at about 10am because thats when we land on the Fiordland tops.

Seriously tho, we flew into Fiordland last year on the 31st and it was like landing in a bloody warzone. As soon as I climbed away from the creek so I could hear my surrounds, I could hear 4-5 stags within 300m of me. And so the week continued.
    Trout, Micky Duck and Billbob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Next Wednesday 23-3
    Correct
    Nick.m likes this.

Every year for the last few around the Nelson region i have always heard stags going in the bush on the 20th.
    I doubt it will be any different. best is always 25-31 and normally it tails of real quick.

Last year was the best year ever for roaring around here. i heard stags going on the 18th and every place i went right up to april 18 which is unheard of for me anyway.
    Shot 2, one from a few feet between the eyes. Two other times i was within 50yards of roaring stags and they managed to give me the slip.
    Watched another stag walking in the river while i was carrying out the meat of the first one i shot so didnt shoot that, was cool to watch as was only 30 feet away.
    Roared in a spiker and just after the roar i hit a big mature stag in a area where i missed out but didnt find it .

it did seem that the break from covid the year before did wonders for the stags as was themost vocal year ever around here.
    The 5 places i hunted each time there was 3 stags all going for it withinn a 300m radius everytime.

Had roars in the past thou where i have only heard one stag during the whole roar period , often DOC land around here can be very quiet.
    Only thing i have noticed farm stags i have driven past normally going for it always 3 -4 weeks out but this year the same stags are very quiet or just the odd roar
    and dont looked worked up which could mean it might be a later season this year here.
    We see next week when i get out but havnt missed out on shooting something reasonable for a bush stag around here for a few years now so hopefully will get a couple.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    The farmed stags are unusually quiet around here too
    Moa Hunter likes this.

A bit quiet on the farm stag front here too but the fallow spider that turned up behind my house is especially quiet and cold now.

I am hoping they will be late this year , can't get any time off till last week of April .
    But that ain't going to happen so will be another unsuccessful year for me .... three in a row ... doh
    born to hunt - forced to work

Farm waps and reds were all going to town at each other on outskirts of Te Anau on Monday when I was on the way home. Not a peep in the Fiordland hills though and it's been super warm right the way through with a lot of warm weather still forecast to come. Hinds don't seem to cycle hard untill the nights and mornings start cooling down a bit. I'd say 1st period (starts this Sunday) in the wap blocks will be pretty quiet this year
    Nathan F likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Have heard the odd croak from the local fallow, nights are down to 6-8`C, but days are 27'C, rain forecast for Sunday on, will be happy if it happens.

Hoping the fallows will be croaking when i go in mid april. Would be fun to get my first stag if the opportunity presents itself.
    Gibo and Joe_90 like this.