Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: what are people thinking the start date of the roar will be .... ?

In the Oamaru wed-thurs, very quiet and warm temps.

Spent last Tue-Thur in sika country. Mostly quiet as expected with the odd hee haw. Do have a couple single calling after a cold night on Thursday though. Reds still quiet in the local Ruahines mates are telling me.

Very quiet in pureora Wednesday and Thursday. One hint of a roar on Friday morning. One guy shot a roaring stag on the next hill early morning but more because he was stepping into the stag territory. Spook a hind at 35 m that had come to our call.
    Hopefully I ll be more lucky this coming week , although the ground is super dry and noisy and there is not much rain forecasted this week :-(

Sitting on the deck at the moment listening to a wild fellow roaring his head off

In the kaimanawas week leading upto Easter. Surely going by then

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    In the kaimanawas week leading upto Easter. Surely going by then
    looking wet and warm for that week ..... my pick would be the week ( tues -fri)after easter
    superdiver likes this.

Only 1 roar heard yesterday and know 3 others that went to different blocks and no action.
    Been nothing like last year, cant work out if its been (been abit of moaning around week ago and some before) or its going to be late roar.
    Have only heard stags this roar when i got them going my roaring at them, last year they were all going nuts and no need to roar ...its very strange year

Gone but not forgotten
    We heard nothing in Pureora today, but were a bit late to the carpark.
    Other hunters we met said it's been quiet, one guy had some replies in the early hours this morning, but not really going off, same guy saw 3 hinds but no stag with them. Another guy said he had one stag going quite well for a while.

I was in the Pureoras from Friday night until this morning. Yesterday morning and this morning I had some back and forth roaring but it was probably just other hunters. The roars sounded a bit tinny so suspect the roars weren't a real stag.

This morning while sitting quietly on a ridgeline just after day break we saw a stag and a hind walking along. He wasn't that flash looking and we were deep in the thick stuff so I shot the hind for meat as she was small enough to be carried out whole from where we were.

Yesterday down in a gully we saw a hoof print that was about as wide as my palm so there must be a big boy walking around there somewhere. Unfortunately someone else will probably get to shoot him in a couple of weeks once the roar kicks off properly!

Tauranga, although back home to the mainland sometime
    I was in the Kaimais today (Tauranga side) and we got onto one, roaring relatively hard. Good to get close, mucked it up (I hoped I could roar him out to us, should’ve just gone straight in, he kept moving away) but good first hunt in a new spot. Encouraging, I’ll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt308 View Post
    I was in the Kaimais today (Tauranga side) and we got onto one, roaring relatively hard. Good to get close, mucked it up (I hoped I could roar him out to us, should’ve just gone straight in, he kept moving away) but good first hunt in a new spot. Encouraging, I’ll be back.
    I was in the tauranga side too, didn't have any roaring in my area but had a bit of moaning going on just before first light and after sundown. Plenty of deer in the area.

Bit of noise first thing Saturday in pureora. He was pretty shitty but moving around and then shut up. I suspect it wasn't his first rodeo.
    Quiet otherwise. Hope for some colder nights for next weekend.
    Shot a hind and pig on farmland in evening.

Tauranga, although back home to the mainland sometime
    Plenty of sign off the beaten track where we were too, bloody good to see. Stag was roaring at approximately 11am.

Name:  IMG_20220403_155340.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  889.1 KB saw this in Dannevirke yesterday. A 12 and a scrubby 8.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Name:  IMG_9398.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  6.29 MBGot some Timber in the tarauas over the weekend they were going pretty good on Saturday day time, not so much on Sunday but there is some strange shit going on with this years roar, def not a traditional one.
    Tahr, deer243, 25/08IMP and 6 others like this.