Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: what are people thinking the start date of the roar will be .... ?

Just come back from the bottom of South Westland
    There for 2 weeks
    Heard fark all
    Best we saw was a scrubby 8
    Base was 1100m hunting down into several big catchments
    Roaring on the Coastal side though
    But at all times of the day
    Still 22 degrees at 11 am second week of April at 1100 m might have had something to do with it
    Micky Duck and kukuwai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    I always wonder how the hell they get those big stags out whole, a lot of them must be shot on farmland where they can get a Ute or quad to them.
    I would say a big percentage of them would be shot where you can drive to them.
    Prob lots shot shotlighting and by thermal in paddocks ....doubt much hunting actually went on but it is what it is.
    82 is alot in 4 days but plenty on private land there so no surprise. 60 boars weighted in also.
    Micky Duck and Mohawk .308 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleduk View Post
    You got that right, all about how good your private land is that competition. And you can guess what happened to most the 80 odd stags weighed in after being in the warm sun getting fly blown while the hunters got pissed. Raised a lot of money for charity though.
    competitions bring out the very worst in the hunting community.....I couldve put harvesting in there just as easily.

Name:  IMG_20220403_164029.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  3.37 MB

Got out for a couple nights last weekend in northern southland. Managed to by far get my biggest stag to date, couldn't believe it. Dropped him off at the taxidermist yesterday. Stags were going off everywhere and saw an excess of 35 deer bush hunting!! Definitely too many around down here now.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigreen View Post
    Attachment 194467

Got out for a couple nights last weekend in northern southland. Managed to by far get my biggest stag to date, couldn't believe it. Dropped him off at the taxidermist yesterday. Stags were going off everywhere and saw an excess of 35 deer bush hunting!! Definitely too many around down here now.
    Nice.if he's a bush stag he is the real deal Holyfield!

Certainly weren't roaring in the pureoras where I was or in Clements today.

Roaring in the kaimais today but life and death to get to them so just enjoyed the to and fro

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Certainly weren't roaring in the pureoras where I was or in Clements today.
    been a few coming out of pureora. I've screwed up a couple of stalks.
    Stags roaring but not responsive.
    Rolling the dice again down waioeka this weekend.

Unfortunately didnt get to hear the elusive fallow croak while I was out yesterday evening and this morning. Maybe I was on the wrong end of the blue mountains, or too low? I like being lower in the gullies. Plenty of morepork, nice to hear them.
    I heard another hunter take a shot at around 6.30pm somewhere in the distance right before I got myself a little spiker.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    Unfortunately didnt get to hear the elusive fallow croak while I was out yesterday evening and this morning. Maybe I was on the wrong end of the blue mountains, or too low? I like being lower in the gullies. Plenty of morepork, nice to hear them.
    I heard another hunter take a shot at around 6.30pm somewhere in the distance right before I got myself a little spiker.
    No noise here yet. I have heard whispers around the place that the odd one is starting up but I swear there people out there that either have audio illusions or just plain talk shit when the roar/rut is nearing
    Micky Duck likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    No noise here yet. I have heard whispers around the place that the odd one is starting up but I swear there people out there that either have audio illusions or just plain talk shit when the roar/rut is nearing
    Ah, at least I know it wasn't just me not hearing anything. And here I was thinking I was late for the croak.

Gone but not forgotten
    I heard what may have been a couple of croaks from the carpark on Saturday morning, but we heard nothing during 7.5 hours in the bush. It is supposedly the peak of the fallow rut up here around the 10th April. Even the scrapes don't seem to have been opened up properly yet. Plenty of thrashed silver ferns so the bucks are around.

Just out of bush today to dry out. Got hit by that wx bomb. Stags going off 8&9th. Quieter last couple of days. Wx will help

The front country stags in tararuas around Eketahuna area have finally wound into action last couple of days ,I was thinking they weren't going to go.about 9 days later than last year.
    Maybe the best is yet to come lads-get ready for a late roar!
    Longrun likes this.

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    Ah, at least I know it wasn't just me not hearing anything. And here I was thinking I was late for the croak.
    Heard croaking in the Armstrong last weekend three different bucks ,mate got onto two fighting in Tramways he shot a White Buck

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    kukuwai likes this.