Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Deer Caliber + Ammo Cost

For me 270s kick to much for what they are but plenty of people use them successfully and 500 yards is a fair range for the 270. Any caliber above 243 will do what you want id look at the 308 for cheapness of ammo , you will find cheaper ammo for the 308 than any other center fire except 223. Its c apable out to and past 500 has massive pill selection and inherently accurate.
    Savage1, Eion and Gibo like this.

Have a gander at this if recoil is decider for you. Rifle Recoil Table

Quote Originally Posted by Eion View Post
    Have a gander at this if recoil is decider for you. Rifle Recoil Table
    Haha, I have several of his tables open right now including that one! I love that site, loads of info. He generally recommends below 20ftlb's for recoil (which the 300 win mag is NOT). The 7mm08 and 25/06 are considerably less kick than the 308 and 270.

I have no basis for comparison though as a 223 is a measly 3ftlb's.

Considered a .260? Either standard or AI but would need to reload for it that's all mate
    Otherwise 7-08 would be cheap to run compared to a win mag

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    Considered a .260? Either standard or AI but would need to reload for it that's all mate
    Otherwise 7-08 would be cheap to run compared to a win mag
    No, I haven't looked at .260's as i'm not sure if I can be bothered with the whole reloading thing. It does sound interesting but time is a factor for me and i'd prefer to be out there when i've got it. So I need to go for something with loads of factory stuff to start with and then time will tell with the reloading.

How popular are .270's compared to 308's, 7mm08's and 25/06's? Could someone rank them in order of popularity in NZ for me? Guessing 308 at the top.

I noticed you have a liking for .270. It'll do what you want as will many other calibers. But for the amount of shooting you say you want to do and being cheap .308 is pretty much the best way to go. It'll do whatever a .270 will. (if not better) had to add that

A tikma will be fine and try get he best scope you can. Dont read too much into shit and just get out and shoot shit. Its he best way to learn
    Savage1, username and Eion like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

All the common cartridges will do more than you can unless you get out and practice a lot , so to start with work on ammo price more than anything else , . Go to gun City and see what they have in bulk for a reasonable price , then look at good rifles and top of the line scopes then get back to the forum with your ideas .
    I'd recommend 308 , cheap ammo is available , it is mild recoiling even in a light rifle , works well in short barrels if you are going to fit a suppressor , it is a highly developed round that can kill deer further than most people can see them .
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Very valid point from Druid.

The suppressor option reduces recoil and saves your ears.

Don't be scared of a 308 they are popular for a reason... DPT do have tremendous prices on their cans right now too.

I used a very nice 300wm with a muzzle brake and it was very pleasant (with ear protection) so recoil can be managed. Just be sure to get some decent advice on body position and shoot from a few varying positions so you know what its gonna feel like when you are in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I noticed you have a liking for .270. It'll do what you want as will many other calibers. But for the amount of shooting you say you want to do and being cheap .308 is pretty much the best way to go. It'll do whatever a .270 will. (if not better) had to add that

A tikma will be fine and try get he best scope you can. Dont read too much into shit and just get out and shoot shit. Its he best way to learn
    I've been looking at - www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_​table.htm

What appeals to me about the .270 is how well it seems to perform on tables like that. Seems like it's quite a bit of a flatter shooter than the 308? But I have noticed the massive amount of ammo available for 308 and if the ammo is noticeably cheaper then that'd be fine too.

I'll always read heaps into everything because as mentioned I work away for 20 days a month and don't have any toys to play with . So for that period I do my reading then for the other 10 I will do my playing, haha.

I like the look of Tikka T3's and Browning X-Bolts so far. Thoughts on these? Not worried about the price difference. If they were the same price and both came in the calibre you wanted, what would yas buy?

Another question - has anyone had any experience with gun city's T3's with full barrel silencers? My 10/22 is one of their FBS and I really like it.

Personally I'd buy somewhere other than gun city... their prices tend to be higher than most, and many people (though obviously not everyone or they wouldn't stil be going) have had bad experiences with their service. Maybe a good variety to have a look at though I guess.

Make sure you handle (and if possible cycle the action etc) plenty of options before you decide - most of the mid-range rifles around are accurate and reliable, the key is finding which one fits you well and that you like the feel of. Tikka, Browning, Savage, Remington, Howa, Marlin, Ruger, I could go on... Then you have choices like synthetic/wood/laminate as well, all down to personal preference.

I have a 308 but I'd just as soon have a 7mm08 or whatever if the right rifle came up in that caliber - there isn't really that much real-world difference between them.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 20-09-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Its no secret i love the 308.
    It will do what any other non magnum round will do.
    Its cheap to run.
    Everyone will have ammo for it and not just one or two types.
    And it will take you 5000 odd rounds to wear one out.
    That's one thing a 25 06 won't do.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Hi mposkitt I was in your position about 4 years ago and you seem to be about obsessive as me.

From the experience of an obsessive noob if you are looking at charts and you like the 270 then go for it (cal doesn't really matter). Thats how I chose my first hunting rifle (a marlin 270 then I sold that and got a Sako A7 7mmRemMag and have just sold it and brought a Remington 300RUM and it's only a RUM until I re-barrel it to a 338 Edge). But there is a reason everyone is telling you 308 because it fits your requirement perfectly. Don't worry about flat trajectories as long as its accurite and has the killing power when it gets there. Gun City have the cheapest tikkas and Rem spss.

If you are going to hunt the Canterbury tops optics are the most important thing that include Binoculars. I ignored this advice and started with $250 pair of leupolds of binos then a $400 pair of Minox. Still shit now i have $1200 pair of Vortex.

If you are working in Australia you will probably have a decient budget dont be a tight arse. spend money now so you dont have to replace stuff later.

Tikka or Rem spss $1100 (these rifles have the best after market bit and pieces) - Scope $1200 - Binos - $1200

This is my experence and opinions
    300winmag likes this.

Ha Ha these threads crack me up.
    Mate buy whatever Cal takes your fancy and put a sweet scope on it. Thats all.
    Dougie, kiwi39 and username like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Yip Long story short. Dont think just do.
    kiwi39 and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Ha Ha these threads crack me up.
    While that's good advice the title of the thread is deer cal and ammo cost.
    And if wanting to shoot alot barrel life should be considered.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Savage1 and deepsouthaussie like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.