Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Deer Caliber + Ammo Cost

Buy whichever one YOU like, any rifle over $800 will be fine, all about YOUR personal preference.

Tikkas are good rifles, if you looking to spend X-Bolt money have a look at the CZ550 and Winchester Model 70 too, get a rifle that fits and it will be nicer to shoot!

Let us know what you get!
    veitnamcam, Dougie and GravelBen like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Mr Poskitt,
    As Username and Brads,
    Username hit the nail on the head, you working in Aust on some good coin don't worry about ammo cost.
    Brads reckons a 308, get one, it kills and dead is dead and in most places you won't be popping stuff at long distance and if you do just buy a LR rifle. You just got a 22 and in a very short time you want a 223 and maybe a 308, all a month a part so coin isn't a problem and you are worried about ammo costs, that will be the least of your problems, I suspect hiding all this cool stuff from Mum will be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mposkitt View Post
    Thanks all for all of the advice. 308 is coming through pretty strongly and if it's all much of a muchness then i'll go with the cheaper ammo so that sounds good.

Would anyone care to compare Tikka T3's and Browning X-Bolts ? May be a bit controversial i'm sure. Are most using T3's?

Gadgetman - thanks for that reloading cost comparison!
    You have the cal now go into a gun shop and look at them and caress them and hold them and play with them ooooo.
    Talk to the staff they should have good product knowledge.

If you'll be walking lots the t3 hunter with the fluted barrel sure looks nice.... Remember weight is a factor if you plan on doing long stalks. I took my Varmint barrel howa once on a deer stalk.... That's not happening again.
    veitnamcam likes this.

69 likes haha
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    If you'll be walking lots the t3 hunter with the fluted barrel sure looks nice.... Remember weight is a factor if you plan on doing long stalks. I took my Varmint barrel howa once on a deer stalk.... That's not happening again.
    Ha ha i did the same a while ago. On the drive up i was thinking i must need my head read lol.
    It actually wasn't too bad it was just the topheavyness on the sling was a pain .

While weight is a consideration of course i wouldn't/dont worry about it too much on my rifle. A pound is neither here nor there. Its the difference of carrying two venison shanks back out

I find a bit of weight in the rifle makes it easyer to shoot both off the bench and in the field, especially in the field.

T3 is a good rifle to be sure, almost certain to get an accurate one but they only have a 3 shot single stack mag. You can get a 5 shot mag but it sticks out and my personal opinion is it ruins a nice hunting rifle.

Weather a 3 shot mag is an issue for you and the type of hunting you plan to do is up to you.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Happy likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I have owned thre T 3 s Lites This may start an argument but recoils been a problem on them all. Soft well what ever but gave each a good go and they were all too light Had 308 270 WSM and the keeper 300 win mag which has suppressor trigger job B + C stock and load development so it's no longer lite Now have heavy Sako 308 awesome gun Heavy 300 win mag its awesome accurate some gun its killed at 450 mtrs and now I d rather carry a heavyish gun than a light one . Been thru lots of guns and finally figured out what works for me Starting out it would be 308 wooden stock Vx3 3x ? X 40. Just my experience I think that was a 3x9 actually but unsure Good sling combat type jacket with your gear and good rain coat Get walkin and enjoy the weight then you shoot awesome (well I have on occasion)
    Just what I have tried over last few years. Heavy gun big deal walk slower I was told if you are pouring off sweat you are hunting too fast and I have seen deer that the leader walked past Hunting to me is a cruise not a race but I m really lazy
    Cheers Happy
    Last edited by Happy; 20-09-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    veitnamcam, Toby and Gibo like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Stop fukin about and buy that kimber for sale on this forum
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Mr Poskitt,
    As Username and Brads,
    Username hit the nail on the head, you working in Aust on some good coin don't worry about ammo cost.
    Brads reckons a 308, get one, it kills and dead is dead and in most places you won't be popping stuff at long distance and if you do just buy a LR rifle. You just got a 22 and in a very short time you want a 223 and maybe a 308, all a month a part so coin isn't a problem and you are worried about ammo costs, that will be the least of your problems, I suspect hiding all this cool stuff from Mum will be the problem.
    Mr Poskitt #2,

At this stage i'm just researching . My 22 will keep me happy for the rest of the year - it's great! But I want to be prepared for what I want so that I can grab it when the x-mas sales are on. For now I will skip the mid calibers and just have my 22 and get something able to kill everything else.

I won't be hiding them! Like you say, i'm earning the good coin so i'm allowed the odd toy . It's not that I worry about ammo costs but I do like efficiency! As long as it can do what I want, hah.

I'll have a look at some on my next break when I go to pick up some more ammo. Will try not to walk out with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Stop fukin about and buy that kimber for sale on this forum
    Hope you not talkin to me VC has me in enuff trouble already he he Now where is that ad ??
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

VIVA LA HOWA

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Since your not a reloader and so long as your not a north Island bush hunting hobbit, I'd go for your 270.
    If you are a bit dodgy about the recoil a decent pad for around 80$ will fix that.

With a suitable 130gr bullet it's fast it's flat and will do everything you wish.
    Alternatively if your going to go live in fiordland then run a 150gr bullet or go buy a 30 06.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Since your not a reloader and so long as your not a north Island bush hunting hobbit, I'd go for your 270.
    If you are a bit dodgy about the recoil a decent pad for around 80$ will fix that.

With a suitable 130gr bullet it's fast it's flat and will do everything you wish.
    Alternatively if your going to go live in fiordland then run a 150gr bullet or go buy a 30 06.
    A north Island bush hunting hobbit!!!! Last time I checked my wai wai's are clean shaven to avoid been called that! that way im easily told apart from the web footed south islanders

I think you should try every caliber your interested in. But in different set ups.
    much better then reading about it or others personal opinions.
    Don't be scared to try older guns as well.
    Its not hard to re barrel a rifle...most of the time they will out shoot the shit on the market today.
    Its not about the caliber.
    You want to be comfortable with your walking stick

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post

Q: why does flat trajectory matter? Is it less affected by the wind?