Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Deer Caliber + Ammo Cost

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Q: why does flat trajectory matter? Is it less affected by the wind?
    Bit high you will get her forehead, bit low her neck, flat well your on the money!
    199p likes this.

Ha

Matt,
    I have in the way of T3's
    1 x 223
    1 x 308
    2 x 300wm
    I use box ammo on the 223 & 308, a mixture of box & reloads on the 300's
    I took the 308 & 300wm lite to aussie in August, dropping pigs, horse's & donkeys from 30yds - 200 odd yards and dead is dead, they couldn't tell the
    difference between calibres.
    I was undertaking a lot of rapid fire scenarios on mobs of animals, you won't have that here, the lites have some recoil so all mine have been tamed with Limbsavers, the 300's have breaks or suppressors fitted. The 300 I took to aussie had a break and shot perfecty, it shot a heap of animals & it wasn't until I was cleaning it to pack away on my return to NZ that I noticed the scope rail was loose, quite a bit I must say. I should have loctited the 4 crub screws in. They couldn't handle the rapid fire of 2 x 10 round mags x 20 changes. When I got home I removed the scope & torqued up the screws & one snapped so I need to carefully drill & remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Matt,
    I have in the way of T3's
    1 x 223
    1 x 308
    2 x 300wm
    I use box ammo on the 223 & 308, a mixture of box & reloads on the 300's
    I took the 308 & 300wm lite to aussie in August, dropping pigs, horse's & donkeys from 30yds - 200 odd yards and dead is dead, they couldn't tell the
    difference between calibres.
    I was undertaking a lot of rapid fire scenarios on mobs of animals, you won't have that here, the lites have some recoil so all mine have been tamed with Limbsavers, the 300's have breaks or suppressors fitted. The 300 I took to aussie had a break and shot perfecty, it shot a heap of animals & it wasn't until I was cleaning it to pack away on my return to NZ that I noticed the scope rail was loose, quite a bit I must say. I should have loctited the 4 crub screws in. They couldn't handle the rapid fire of 2 x 10 round mags x 20 changes. When I got home I removed the scope & torqued up the screws & one snapped so I need to carefully drill & remove it.
    Hey Tim,

What sort of ammo do you shoot with your 308? What's it cost you per round?

Also, how much difference would you say suppressors make to the recoil of something like a 300wm? And to your 308.

Surprising you hit anything with a loose rail!

Quote Originally Posted by mposkitt View Post
    Hey Tim,

What sort of ammo do you shoot with your 308? What's it cost you per round? Federal Blue box 150gr and Hornady 150gr SST & 168gr Amax approx. $60 per box/20

Also, how much difference would you say suppressors make to the recoil of something like a 300wm? Heaps, I like shooting it with the break, I can shoot it all day long no worries and that with a bum shoulder. Suppressors are illegal in Aust so put a break on it.
    And to your 308. The 308 isn't suppressed yet but don't have a problem shooting it repeatedly.

Surprising you hit anything with a loose rail!
    Good skills, towards the end of my trip it was all close range stuff, I didn't suspect anything as animals were dropping where I had pointed, wasn't until I was packing up that I noticed it was loose.

If I was to take a trip into the Kawekas/Kaimanawas tops It would be a toss up between the Finnlight 7-08 or the 300wm with suppressor, the last couple of trips I did quite nicely with the 300wm

Name change~

Thanks Gimp!

So i'm still liking the look of a 270 but now the 308 also due to popularity and ammo.

Another question - how much would people say a good suppressor lessens recoil? 20%? 50%?

Cheers,
    Matt

Enough to make it comfortable!

Don't be scared of a suppressed rifle.. makes the world of difference.

I haven't had a lot of suppressors but will say the perceived recoil reduction is more than the actual reduction.
    Ie most of what makes people flinch is the farkin great BOOM! Rather than actual recoil. At least in any standard cal anyway.
    Super wizemboomer calibers in a light rifle a can or break is almost mandatory even if your a hard man it will help you spot your shots.
    Always wear ear protection for any range work to protect your hearing and lessen the chance of developing a flinch.

My main hunting rifle will never wear a suppressor but that is my personal preference, others won't own one without a suppressor.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    SlimySquirrel and mikee like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

When you're in town feel free to get hold of me and try the 308 at the range suppressed and not to see what you think. I hunt and shoot with all my rifles suppressed. They were nice enough to shoot unsuppressed, but so much nicer suppressed. I'm sold on quiet.

I would admit to having a bit of trouble with the suppressed rifle to start with. With ear muffs on I pulled the trigger on a roo with the suppressed 243, misfired so I started pulling the rifle apart on the back of the truck. Everyone else questions what I'm doing with the rifle, so explain it didn't fire. Then I was pointed in the direction of one expired roo.
    Neckshot likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I think the suppressor on the 270 would be magnum size. Bigger than a 308 one. Something to think about. I had one on my 270 and it made the rifle very top heavy and a pain in the arse to carry on a sling. Get ear plugs and a muzzle brake.

I think the suppressor on the 270 would be magnum size. Bigger than a 308 one. Something to think about. I had one on my 270 and it made the rifle very top heavy and a pain in the arse to carry on a sling. Get ear plugs and a muzzle brake.

Woops

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    When you're in town feel free to get hold of me and try the 308 at the range suppressed and not to see what you think. I hunt and shoot with all my rifles suppressed. They were nice enough to shoot unsuppressed, but so much nicer suppressed. I'm sold on quiet.

I would admit to having a bit of trouble with the suppressed rifle to start with. With ear muffs on I pulled the trigger on a roo with the suppressed 243, misfired so I started pulling the rifle apart on the back of the truck. Everyone else questions what I'm doing with the rifle, so explain it didn't fire. Then I was pointed in the direction of one expired roo.
    Bahahaha....nice work... Ear Muffs and a Can, very very good ear protection...

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post

That would be awesome Gadgetman. I'll be back in town on Thursday for a while. What range? I was going to go to the NZDA public day on the Saturday and join up. That's hilarious about the 243. I can imagine doing that with my 22 and subs but a 243? Hah!

Suppressors need to be larger on the 270 than the 308? That changes things yet again! Can anybody confirm this? Thanks for the heads up username.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    That would be awesome Gadgetman. I'll be back in town on Thursday for a while. What range? I was going to go to the NZDA public day on the Saturday and join up. That's hilarious about the 243. I can imagine doing that with my 22 and subs but a 243? Hah!

Suppressors need to be larger on the 270 than the 308? That changes things yet again! Can anybody confirm this? Thanks for the heads up username.
    A standard suppressor is fine on a 270, it is based on the '06 case after all. Gunworks can put a swivel stud on the bottom of the suppressor which helps with balance, the other thing I did with the 223 was to put a stud in the end of the fore end. Also leave the factory stud for a bipod if desired and balance is not too bad.

Will be handloaders for me which is still stuck at just 75m, but will give you a good idea of recoil reduction, etc.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!