Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Deer Caliber + Ammo Cost

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    A standard suppressor is fine on a 270, it is based on the '06 case after all. Gunworks can put a swivel stud on the bottom of the suppressor which helps with balance, the other thing I did with the 223 was to put a stud in the end of the fore end. Also leave the factory stud for a bipod if desired and balance is not too bad.

Will be handloaders for me which is still stuck at just 75m, but will give you a good idea of recoil reduction, etc.
    My bad thought the 270 and 30-06 needed a bigger one.

Its good to get advice but a lot of this is personal preference and you will only know if you try.

Some sweet deals on TM too... Remmy 700 308 .... I think its calling your name Matt.... lol

Sako model 75 hunter , 308 callibre | Trade Me

Pretty good value! For the money you were talking about spending this would be an awesome rifle.
    Gibo likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post

Pretty good value! For the money you were talking about spending this would be an awesome rifle.
    +1 Cant go wrong there.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I think the price of ammo is a bit of a overstated I mean when comparing standard calibres like 308 708 260 270 243 etc decent hunting ammo is about $50 for a box of 20. Sure with a 308 you get the option of buying much cheaper lower quality ammo so thats sweet if you want to go have a blast up.

Basically if you want to shoot high volume get a 308 or get reloading. If not, ammo price is very much the same.... I think. Haven't actually bought a packet of centre fire ammo for well over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post

Looks good but like i've said i'll be waiting another couple of months probably. Still learning lots with my 22 and want to shoot that loads more before I go buying another rifle! Until then i'll just be researching, looking at them in shops and taking advantage of nice people like Gadgetman .

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Looks good but like i've said i'll be waiting another couple of months probably. Still learning lots with my 22 and want to shoot that loads more before I go buying another rifle! Until then i'll just be researching, looking at them in shops and taking advantage of nice people like Gadgetman .
    Absolutely. I ended up with something different to what I thought I wanted. Best bet is to annoy the local gun shop and get them to empty the rack onto the counter and play with them all. One or two will light your lights. Then you'll know what you're wanting.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Absolutely. I ended up with something different to what I thought I wanted. Best bet is to annoy the local gun shop and get them to empty the rack onto the counter and play with them all. One or two will light your lights. Then you'll know what you're wanting.
    Yeah, I will absolutely be doing that. I'm all for reading reviews but in the end it'll probably be whatever feels best in my hands. With my 22 I had everything sussed but then I tried a certain stock and absolutely had to have it. Just that comfortable.

Speaking of which, nobody seems to have many stock options for the other calibers. I guess 22lr is so popular they can afford to have a heap of different ones in stock. Do you generally have to order them in?

Ok Matt,

Here you go, this shows the difference in recoil. A .308 being fired with and without can.

Watch the whole video, pretty good really... the Yanks sure have a heap more choice for their $ than we do... Shows what can be expected when sighting in and the difference in Ammo brands.

Just because it is expensive doesn't always mean your rifle will like it.

Savage Model 10: The 1000 dollar 1000 yard rifle - YouTube

Also, you can see the bullet drop on the .308 if you look when he shoots the Gong you can see how much it drops at 500 yds.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks Slimy. Really interesting.

Pretty sold on 308 now. How short are people going with their barrels when suppressing? Seen some pretty nifty little ones on other sites but at what point is velocity impacted significantly?

Cut that fucker to 18 inches and never look back.

mine is just under 18" i would happily go to 16" and the loss wont be that significant.

That first four inches(from 22 to 18) is pretty common amount to cut off, shorter than that would start giving your suppressor a real hard time with high temps and higher muzzle pressures and become almost unusable without the suppressor.

Some of the velocity loss can be gained back and muzzle flash lessened with reloading.

Velocity loss is not linear ie the shorter it gets the more loss per inch.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    That first four inches(from 22 to 18) is pretty common amount to cut off, shorter than that would start giving your suppressor a real hard time with high temps and higher muzzle pressures and become almost unusable without the suppressor.

Some of the velocity loss can be gained back and muzzle flash lessened with reloading.

Velocity loss is not linear ie the shorter it gets the more loss per inch.

Good info, cheers. How do the over barrel silencers perform compared to pure extension? Nice and compact would be good if performs well.

Can't comment as i haven't owned one.