Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: How to get your rifle to shoot less than MOA

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Was the "all you guys that...." that distracted me from your "most people"....
    Please note my left-right is messed up as pic has rotated.
    At the shoot with norway we ran some.different drills. I made some stupid mistakes on some.earlier drills bit aftdr a quiet word to myself comfortably put 3 shots on the 1/2 moa target in the know your limits drill. Gimp was there and saw. Its all factory. 7mm08 is much the same as 223 in terms of groups. 7mm mag has off and on days and is currently getting a new barrel
    Aaah so you didn't actually shoot those targets ....... you used a Drill, that could possibly construed as not being an accurate assessment of your gun
    Bryan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    This is peeeerfect. Look at the diffferent POI of each group. If you overlay them all, do they still make a ~*half moa*~ group?? Or could it be that 3 shot groups don't give much information in isolation
    Brilliant Gimp

This is peeeerfect. Look at the diffferent POI of each group. If you overlay them all, do they still make a ~*half moa*~ group?? Or could it be that 3 shot groups don't give much information in isolation
    Shifts in poi between groups were from me. Mounting rifle.differently, different body position, adjustments etc (and a lot of mirage in some made finding aiming point difficult) if i was seriously trying to do a bunch of.groups to.overlay on top.of each other i would.start with a more precise aiming point rather than just selecting what part of the circle i was going to.shoot at each time. Taking time and doing it seriously id say the consistant overlaid groups could actually be less than puctured here again
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    Aaah so you didn't actually shoot those targets ....... you used a Drill, that could possibly construed as not being an accurate assessment of your gun
    Dammit you caught me....
    Might not be an accurate test of my rifle either...

R93
    I would hazzard a guess it is due to not adjusting position when changing target.
    thedrunkfish likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Does the rifle have off and on days or the shooter?
    As gimp said. Both. This one was too fussy with what codition barrel it shot best at i.e how many shots between cleans etc so is gettin new barrel. When in its good shooting condition it was awesome but i wanted more from it in tes of reliability

As Steve said. Both. This one was too fussy with what codition barrel it shot best at i.e how many shots between cleans etc so is gettin new barrel. When in its good shooting condition it was awesome but i wanted more from it in tes of reliability
    Fixed it for ya

I don't think any of my rifles shoot differently to any other time, then again I dont shoot them enough to really notice
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    Fixed it for ya
    Haha my bad.
    Those targets show.quite clearly where adjustments etc were made. Overlay the three top groups and you will still be under 1/2 moa. Regardless of this i actually think the 5x5 shot group is more a test of shooter than rifle. Holding the same aim point for 25 rounds without pulling a shot evem with mirage etc definitely makes the shooter the weak link.
    Next time im at the.range ill.put 15 shots on one a point. You can choose if i was 15 one shot groups, 3x5 shot groups or 5x3 shot groups. And we can fill a few pages discussing it..
    veitnamcam and R93 like this.

I'd say my Zastava 223 is a 1/2 MOA riffle at the range with 3 shot groups. Cheap as chips and getting results like distant stalker above. If groups are overlaid then they are all still in the same place and still within the 1/2 MOA. I can take it home, go back two weeks later and do the same, same POI, same group size. The worst part is my daughter can do the same with it, same POI, same group size.

It would be useless at trying to do 5x 5 shot groups as the barrel and suppressor get rather warm and produce a lot of mirage making aiming difficult. However as VC stated this information is useful to work out shooting range, along with drop charts, when hunting. It all depends on how you would define a sub 'whatever' group for a hunting rifle. Would it be one shot every 10 minutes? One shot every 10 seconds? One group a day over several days? All the groups successively?

I like shooting groups at paper as I'm still pretty new to this game and want to make certain I do the best I can for my quarry, learn mine, and my rifles capabilities. I can see both sides of the argument. 'The devils in the detail.'

Right hard hat on.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The two on left were 5 including adjustments. Others are three. Wifes tikka 223.
    How come after all those shots nothing was done with adjustments to actually take out the red?
    Happy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    How come after all those shots nothing was done with adjustments to actually take out the red?
    I dont work on a 100m zero. That and its hard to have the same aim pointnif you mangle it with shots going through it....
    At the end of the day, this is a rifle i would confidently walk to the firing line with and expect to put 3 shots into a 1/2 moa target. I have shot targets at 200 and 300m and can expect the same sort of results there too (althouh wind does start to have effect at the longer ranges
    If a bunny doesnt rollnover dead at 4-500m when i pull the trigger its my fault in reading wind, wrong body position or something similar, not the rifles fault through lack of precision
    Last edited by distant stalker; 23-09-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Banned
    I think the point is this................
    this is a two shot group I shot last weeknd I cheated and shot from 30 to 40 yards the group measured about 2.4 moa
    Name:  IMG_20130915_092824 (480x640).jpg
Views: 555
Size:  246.9 KB
    The day before I checkd my rifle from 300 yards!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    I think the point is this................
    this is a two shot group I shot last weeknd I cheated and shot from 30 to 40 yards the group measured about 2.4 moa
    Attachment 14569
    The day before I checkd my rifle from 300 yards!!!
    That looks like a 3 shot group bro
    jakewire and distant stalker like this.

I dont work on a 100m zero. That and its hard to have the same aim pointnif you mangle it with shots going through it....
    At the end of the day, this is a rifle i would confidently walk to the firing line with and expect to put 3 shots into a 1/2 moa target. I have shot targets at 200 and 300m and can expect the same sort of results there too (althouh wind does start to have effect at the longer ranges
    If a bunny doesnt rollnover dead at 4-500m when i pull the trigger its my fault in reading wind, wrong body position or something similar, not the rifles fault through lack of precision
    If you make allowances in the field then why not when shooting targets?