Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Oceania Defence suppressors

It'll still work

I'd prefer a locking QD can though

res
    I'm guessing that's a dd lightweight barrel. If so I also have one,and have run a odl can on it to try it out on the theory that it would be no worse than can style suppressor.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    I'm guessing that's a dd lightweight barrel. If so I also have one,and have run a odl can on it to try it out on the theory that it would be no worse than can style suppressor.
    Yup its a DD lightweight barrel - I cant see it being a huge issue and like you say it can't be any worse than a can ...

The difference is that you can use a Belleville washer or etc with a muzzle can to prevent it loosening, you can't with overbarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    The difference is that you can use a Belleville washer or etc with a muzzle can to prevent it loosening, you can't with overbarrel.
    Fair call and TBH the Waitaki can is looking pretty good at $250

res
    Good point,that said I had no problem with it coming loose and I assumed it is designed to use the blast of gas from the shot to tighten up every shot.
    Only ran aprox fifty rounds to try it out as the suppressor normally lives on another rifle that needs the weights saving a lot more!

Would be interesting to have the maker chime in on this....
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    Fair call and TBH the Waitaki can is looking pretty good at $250
    I had the first one of the Waitaki muzzle cans, I think forum member 199P has it now, it worked very well for the price

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Good point,that said I had no problem with it coming loose and I assumed it is designed to use the blast of gas from the shot to tighten up every shot.
    Only ran aprox fifty rounds to try it out as the suppressor normally lives on another rifle that needs the weights saving a lot more!

Would be interesting to have the maker chime in on this....
    Yeah it's not a huge problem but it is one consideration

ODL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    OK thanks

... have you been testing the 7.62 cans on smaller calibre's and how effectively do they perform... what sort of loss of efficiency do you get with a 30 cal hole using something smaller like a 243 or a 6.5x55?

It would be nice to have one 30 cal can effectively transferrable between 7.62 - 6mm with individual QD fittings on each rifle.....is that realistic?
    I fully expect to be able to run a 762 can between all the smaller calibers. I don't know how much difference in sound will happen when a larger bore can is on a smaller caliber. I don't think the difference will matter to most people but I need to test it so that people are aware and can make that choice.
    outdoorlad likes this.
    Oceania-Defence.com

ODL
    To answer a few other questions:

Res, I won't have a 9mm QD out for a while. The QD will be for 762 to 556 at first with big bore next.

Shamus, the over barrel design will work fine with that barrel. It just will not provide as much room for the can coming unscrewed before getting loose. The further over the barrel it goes (with close contact) the less likely the can will be out of alignment since it will only wobble til it hits the barrel at the aft end.

I vent the gas that comes out right after the bore in a spiral that is intended to tighten the can. In practice, it is not always effective. I made the first QD with a similar spiral and it definitely tightened without the can to the point that if installed loose, it would need a spanner to get off after a mag.
    Oceania-Defence.com

Hi ODL ,

Any news on the large bore can , what is it designed for , large magnum rifle or large pistol can ? , also any time I look at the website , most suppressors models are NOT in stock .

Cheers Chris
    mikee likes this.

ODL
    The big bore can will be for 338 and is not designed yet. It will not be started til the QD is fully operational.

The second part of your question is complex and deserves a proper explanation.

I started out making cans without the benefit of sound testing gear. Once I had the gear and fine tuned what I wanted from a can, I set out to make world class cans. Suppressors that have the features that people want and will stack up to what is offered from the best manufacturers in US and EU. Many manufacturers have gotten so caught up in the mil spec testing that they made cans that are very quiet at the muzzle but fairly loud out the chamber right where your ear is. This does not matter as much with bolt gun cans as you really focus just on making the front end as quiet as possible since you will automatically pick up a 6 to 10 dB reduction at the ear. It is a much harder balancing act on a semi auto.

All design is a compromise but I will provide accurate data on my cans mainly so that the purchaser will be able to determine its usefulness as a safety device for hearing protection. My first 556 cans hit all my design goals of hearing safe at the ear as well as hearing safe at the muzzle (milspec) while being lightweight and very short for overhang. I have not changed the Samson model at all but have made continuous subtle improvements to the 556-45. By making a small change and metering the improvement, I implemented a list of baffle features that work better.

My last 556-45 is quieter than listed in my site due to these improvements. It is too heavy though, and too specific and as such is not going to be continued. The Samson is getting changed to fit all the rifles the original 556-45 was made for and still provide the smaller package but with improved sound at the expense of slightly more overhang from the muzzle. I have tried to keep these units in stock while testing and improving, but occasionally run out. My last batch of cans lasted a week. After this batch of Samson cans is tested, I will publish the data and stock up.

My first 30 cal cans were not as good as I would like them to be. They were hearing safe from a bolt gun at the ear but not good enough at the muzzle or at the chamber on a semi auto. They were very short but I have the ability to make them quieter. As such I have not stocked them on the web site but have been testing and improving them. The 300 BLK can is about ready to release again with very good specs for sub and super and acceptable levels of sound at the ear in 308 on a bolt gun for such a small can. The AR10 can will be out next and will have to deal with shorter barrels. I may not be able to get the sound down to hearing safe on sub 18" barrels at both chamber and muzzle without a lot of length.

Much of the baffle design improvements have come through intensive development of a pistol can. Once you get past the Neilsen device spring tension, all the focus was back into the baffle design which carries over into the other cans as well. After 17 iterations of design changes in different cans, it is ready to compete with the best in the world in sound at half the weight. It is the best compromise of length and sound to fill most user requirements. This can is in stock at one retailer who took all my first order and placed a follow up order. As such, it is not shown in stock in my site but will be next week with a variety of threads for the pistons.

As I get a feel for how much to stock of each can, I will be less likely to run out. However, retailers will always get stock before my site does if a model runs out.
    Oceania-Defence.com

I had a shoot with one of the ODL 45 model. Great little cans and offered great noise suppression (better than the huge half kg gunworks one also at the range)
    You could also look at a MAE 224 suppressor. I have one on my AR and it works great. Full steal construction, only 300grs muzzle forward and incredibly low profile. Its diameter is only 30mm and would fit under a troy or samson rail if you wanted. Also good for high rates of fire.
    If you have the money for an ODL, jump on it, if you don't the MAE is pretty bloody good and is quieter than a waitaki.

The 224 ST has been developed for the recreational or commercial shooter where high output and or exposure to harsh environments are a daily occurrence. This model will fit on even the shortest barrel lengths with only a minimum of 0.59" (15mm) barre

Keen to see the 338 model when its done, I love my samson one really impressed with noise reduction weight length and it looks cool!
    mikee likes this.

ODL
    Based on a question from earlier today, would most people rather have a bolt gun can hearing safe at the ear and not worry about the muzzle SPL to keep the length past the muzzle shorter? Or, would you rather keep both hearing safe at the slight (maybe 25 to 50mm longer) extra length past the muzzle.

Personally, I have been next to a mates rifle that went off when I didn't expect them to and would like to get the muzzle blast under 140 if it can be done at a reasonable length. Keep in mind I am not sure that this can be accomplished on the magnum cans. It will take a bit of testing.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    Oceania-Defence.com