Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Oceania Defence suppressors

Why not both? (Different models)

I know I know stock and R&D costs
    Matt2308 likes this.

@ODL are the new AR15 suppressors for sale yet?

For me, I will be running a bolt 308 with a short barrel, I would like it as short/light as possible and hearing safe... I would prob also be running it on 6.5mm and 6mm bolt guns

I can't imagine running a 30 cal semi...

I would prob run a 223 semi but would have a different can for that anyway..

Hi like the idea of having a a bolt action dedicated 30 cal (for 308 )suppressor with a good bit of return over the barrel and no longer than a 100mm past the muzzle. With maybe two barrel outside diameter options: one for tikka lite/ Remington sps the other for varmint profil 21 to 23mm diametre barrel.

Also a suppressor that can cover the 6mm/ 6.5 need would be good. As the next upsize popular calibres are 270 and7-08 and these can be run on a 30 cal sup

Hearing safe for the shooter with as short a forward length as possible.
    mikee likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Realise that the best/easy way to get good sound reduction is with lenght in front of muzzle , and not behind it as in reflex type designs .

ODL
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    @ODL are the new AR15 suppressors for sale yet?
    I just picked them up last night. I quickly installed it on my rifle and my initial impression is favorable. I will clean these up, bead blast them and give them a sound test on the next clear day. I am holding off til early next week to heat treat since I have one part to go on that tooling has not arrived for. I should have them ready to go by wed or thursday. I only made two of these to start and I will let you have first choice on the second one before putting it on the site. After they test up, I will get a bunch built for stock.
    Oceania-Defence.com

ODL
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Realise that the best/easy way to get good sound reduction is with lenght in front of muzzle , and not behind it as in reflex type designs .
    This is the dilemma and why I asked the question. I wish I could put a poll up here.

From what I am hearing, most people would rather have reduced length and maintain hearing safe at the ear while sacrificing hearing safe at the muzzle. If I am reading this wrong, more people need to speak up. I intend to make the general purpose bolt can accommodate up to 23mm barrels. I will probably only run 30 - 40 mm or so over the barrel for strength and barrel protection in a fall.

I am beginning to get feedback on the QD. The biggest compliant is not enough grip on the twist lock and lack of tactile index marks for installing in the dark. No complaints on the functions. Easy fixes all. This is pretty good news since the QD will have been hammered pretty hard by a number of different operators at this stage.
    Oceania-Defence.com

Quote Originally Posted by ODL View Post
    I just picked them up last night. I quickly installed it on my rifle and my initial impression is favorable. I will clean these up, bead blast them and give them a sound test on the next clear day. I am holding off til early next week to heat treat since I have one part to go on that tooling has not arrived for. I should have them ready to go by wed or thursday. I only made two of these to start and I will let you have first choice on the second one before putting it on the site. After they test up, I will get a bunch built for stock.
    Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by ODL View Post
    This is the dilemma and why I asked the question. I wish I could put a poll up here.
    YES, you can do a pool. Somewhere in the thread you have this option, have a look on top right of the thread. Or maybe it is when you start the new Thread the forum system give you the option.
    Hope it helps.

Mac

guessing but I would think your 30 cal down market is more likely to be bolt guns than semis....

ODL
    I tried to make a poll thread several times. I checked the box for poll, but nothing happened. Usually when poll is checked, the number of choices pops up so you can put in the text. I can't seem to get it to work.

The semi auto can will be harder to make hearing safe but all design that goes into it will also go into the bolt can. The main difference is that the bolt can has the ability to be very quiet at the ear and quiet at the muzzle a lot easier than the semi.
    Oceania-Defence.com

Hi ODL ,

Just because they THINK they want it , dosnt mean they are right or should be listened to , as MOST have no clue at all RE suppressor design or the trade offs , and plus & minus of design features .
    I would NOT worry about a poll , as all they will say is make it so its super short in front of muzzle , and weighs nothing , and makes no noise , doesnt shift POI , and locks in place ie , the impossible dream .
    To me a little over hang on say cans that are not QD , is good , and roughly I would look at no more than say 1/3 telescoping over the back , and 2/3 in front of muzzle , its up to YOU to drive the design not the masses , as most have no idea of 1 ) Suppresssor design 2 ) Not much experience with different suppressors from here & overseas .

I take it you have the 2 books by Alan Paulson & the Patent book by NR Parker , if not you should seek these out .
    If you PM me with postal address , I can photocopy some articles in suppressors from SAR magazine .

Me I donot worry much about how much a can sticks out past the muzzle , realise our rifles have quite short barrels compared to what was used years ago , so a bit more for a can does not concern me , even with a can , our current rifles are shorter or as short as the rifles used in olden times , ie the Lee Enfields , MNs etc , thats just me however .

P.S. As I realise , that IF I want reasonable sound suppression , then I need to have a reasonable lenght of suppressor in front of muzzle .

Later Chris
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Opps , missed 3 out , it also should not wear out ever , not rust ever & stay cool ( cold to touch ) .

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Hi ODL ,

Just because they THINK they want it , dosnt mean they are right or should be listened to , as MOST have no clue at all RE suppressor design or the trade offs , and plus & minus of design features .
    I would NOT worry about a poll , as all they will say is make it so its super short in front of muzzle , and weighs nothing , and makes no noise , doesnt shift POI , and locks in place ie , the impossible dream .
    To me a little over hang on say cans that are not QD , is good , and roughly I would look at no more than say 1/3 telescoping over the back , and 2/3 in front of muzzle , its up to YOU to drive the design not the masses , as most have no idea of 1 ) Suppresssor design 2 ) Not much experience with different suppressors from here & overseas .

I take it you have the 2 books by Alan Paulson & the Patent book by NR Parker , if not you should seek these out .
    If you PM me with postal address , I can photocopy some articles in suppressors from SAR magazine .

Me I donot worry much about how much a can sticks out past the muzzle , realise our rifles have quite short barrels compared to what was used years ago , so a bit more for a can does not concern me , even with a can , our current rifles are shorter or as short as the rifles used in olden times , ie the Lee Enfields , MNs etc , thats just me however .

P.S. As I realise , that IF I want reasonable sound suppression , then I need to have a reasonable lenght of suppressor in front of muzzle .

Later Chris
    Bro, you are hardcore!
    PERRISCICABA likes this.