Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree202Likes

Thread: BJ73 Landcruiser

Ejected
    Those tifor winches work but god they take ages to get anywhere, took me and a mate 6hours to get out of trouble using one. Only needed to travel about 250m max.

Electric winch will see ya right, and with wireless remote can be handy for one man operation. Winches are good for hanging deer, hanging tarps for teepee shelters, pulling out trees, pulling out cows from bogs etc. Come in handy quite a bit.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Those tifor winches work but god they take ages to get anywhere, took me and a mate 6hours to get out of trouble using one. Only needed to travel about 250m max.

Electric winch will see ya right, and with wireless remote can be handy for one man operation. Winches are good for hanging deer, hanging tarps for teepee shelters, pulling out trees, pulling out cows from bogs etc. Come in handy quite a bit.
    I use mine to pull trees, cows out of swamps, bales of silage off trailer, and most recently a car out of a drain on the way to the Toby shoot.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I use mine to pull trees, cows out of swamps, bales of silage off trailer, and most recently a car out of a drain on the way to the Toby shoot.
    I enjoyed that story around the bonfire

Desert Duellers are surprisingly good in the mud

Tahr and HILLBILLYHUNTERS like this.

Most new tyres are though

True enough. They're not a new design though, been around for decades. Just new condition.

Wheres the mud?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

[not pictured]
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    [not pictured]
    Needs citation.

Great pic.
    Beaker likes this.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  101.7 KB
    [not pictured]
    A represntable sample
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

How many deer did you get up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    How many deer did you get up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    None, just went for a drive in the rain

Did the valve clearances today. Easy enough. Were mostly correct with a couple fractionally over and a couple fractionally under spec. Replaced the valve cover gasket since it was split in a few spots. Still blows black smoke under load, I guess I need to get my injectors or IP timing looked at

Inside valve cover, Toyoda and Daihatsu logos. Must've used the 3B in some Daihatsus?

Valves'n'whatnot

at least I now have a cleaned and degreased valve cover
    7mmsaum, veitnamcam and Mathias like this.

None, just went for a drive in the rain

Did the valve clearances today. Easy enough. Were mostly correct with a couple fractionally over and a couple fractionally under spec. Replaced the valve cover gasket since it was split in a few spots. Still blows black smoke under load, I guess I need to get my injectors or IP timing looked at

Inside valve cover, Toyoda and Daihatsu logos. Must've used the 3B in some Daihatsus?

Valves'n'whatnot

at least I now have a cleaned and degreased valve cover
    Has it always smoked or just started doing it?

Black smoke is poorly combusted fuel due to either poor atomisation or simply not enough oxygen in the chamber.

How bad is the smoke? It is an old school manual injection diesel and it should smoke lightly under full power,clouds of black smoke so thick people behind you cant see or breathe is another matter tho.

Bad smoking could be caused by restricted intake, worn/damaged injector nozzles or incorrect crack off pressures or if it has been like it since you got it?if so then most likely someone has adjusted max fuel for more power.

Its coming into summer and the air is less dense as it warms up, it makes a noticeable difference in power/smoke on old N/A diesels

Not knowing previous history I would.
    Check/clean/replace air filter as required.
    Go to a bigger pipe between those silicon fittings in the intake just in case that is restricting it.
    Replace fuel filter (you did that already?)
    Pull the injectors and get them serviced.
    Check/clean gauze filter in pump if so fitted.

Then when everything has been serviced and is as it should be clime a hill where it is working hard at highish revs in 3rd, on a sunny day there should be just a slight haze behind you, clouds of heavy black smoke is bad if you still have this adjust max fuel down....your Idle speed will drop if lessening fuel and raise if increasing fuel....1/8th turn should be noticable 1/4 turn is heaps.
    Savage1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Has it always smoked or just started doing it?

Black smoke is poorly combusted fuel due to either poor atomisation or simply not enough oxygen in the chamber.

How bad is the smoke? It is an old school manual injection diesel and it should smoke lightly under full power,clouds of black smoke so thick people behind you cant see or breathe is another matter tho.

Bad smoking could be caused by restricted intake, worn/damaged injector nozzles or incorrect crack off pressures or if it has been like it since you got it?if so then most likely someone has adjusted max fuel for more power.

Its coming into summer and the air is less dense as it warms up, it makes a noticeable difference in power/smoke on old N/A diesels

Not knowing previous history I would.
    Check/clean/replace air filter as required.
    Go to a bigger pipe between those silicon fittings in the intake just in case that is restricting it.
    Replace fuel filter (you did that already?)
    Pull the injectors and get them serviced.
    Check/clean gauze filter in pump if so fitted.

Then when everything has been serviced and is as it should be clime a hill where it is working hard at highish revs in 3rd, on a sunny day there should be just a slight haze behind you, clouds of heavy black smoke is bad if you still have this adjust max fuel down....your Idle speed will drop if lessening fuel and raise if increasing fuel....1/8th turn should be noticable 1/4 turn is heaps.
    I never noticed it smoking until I had the IP seal done, since then it's pretty bad - in both warm and cold weather.

I've changed fuel and air filters, and to check if it was due to restriction with the silicon intake hosing I pulled the intake piping and ran it with just an open throttle body, same result.

Valve clearances were the only other thing I could think of to check myself before taking it to someone to look at the injectors. I did notice that the idle is higher since the seal was done, so possibly the fuel was turned up? I'm getting noticeably worse economy than previously too