Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: BJ73 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @gimp I'm hi jacking your thread!

80series vx, been doing a bit of low range work lately and it smokes like a bastard (grey, light blue) and smells a bit but only when in low, in particular when engine braking. Normal or should I check oil levels in everything? Looks Iike I might be heading away and getting a bit of snow next week... Checking to make sure others haven't had the same and had their truck crap out.

Another topic, tyre pressures in snow? Got mud tyres on at the moment, thinking leave the, had to break hough snow to the gravel underneath rather than let them, down so I float and slide around
    I'm no expert, but sounds like worn rings, sucks in the oil when engine braking and when you put your foot down again it blows out a cloud of smoke for a few seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I'm no expert, but sounds like worn rings, sucks in the oil when engine braking and when you put your foot down again it blows out a cloud of smoke for a few seconds?
    Only happens when in low range, bit of grey steamy smoke when cold. Smokes when engine braking, with foot down it seems to be a little better

I doubt it would be related to what gear range it's in, are you sure that you just don't notice it in high range? Give it a try down a long hill.

Smoking during or straight after engine braking is a sign of worn rings, I think.
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I doubt it would be related to what gear range it's in, are you sure that you just don't notice it in high range? Give it a try down a long hill.

Smoking during or straight after engine braking is a sign of worn rings, I think.
    It is possible I don't notice it. Had the head replaced 2years ago and think thy changed the top rings while it was in bits. Not tooooo worried about it it's a Toyota with no rust so as long as I keep giving it oil it should go(

So I failed WOF on the loose/noisy wheel bearings in the RF and also a headlight bulb. Bulb was easy and did the wheel bearings tonight in the driveway. Minor hiccup getting the locking hub back together, fiddly bastard of a thing, all done now though.

Shiny new bits

Old bearing race, I dunno if this wear is bad or not? But replaced the bearings anyway because I had some.

Wildman likes this.

Need to bleed the brakes better though

Bled my brakes. Grot

gadgetman likes this.

Yuck, hate to think what mine look like though...

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    That looks like that Waikato stuff.
    Bottle it and send it to the North country.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and berg243 like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @gimp I'm hi jacking your thread!

80series vx, been doing a bit of low range work lately and it smokes like a bastard (grey, light blue) and smells a bit but only when in low, in particular when engine braking. Normal or should I check oil levels in everything? Looks Iike I might be heading away and getting a bit of snow next week... Checking to make sure others haven't had the same and had their truck crap out.

Another topic, tyre pressures in snow? Got mud tyres on at the moment, thinking leave the, had to break hough snow to the gravel underneath rather than let them, down so I float and slide around
    I am having the same thing, blue/grey smoke quite noticeable when in low range, less noticeable or not present on the highway (probably just can't see it). Gonna change my oil and filter and check the valve clearances and then prepare my wallet if that doesn't help. It's been about 5500km since last change so I'll do that tomorrow and hope it does the trick

Smashed up to the Growler for the weekend with no dramas. Easy track, mint weather.

Wildman and Mathias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I am having the same thing, blue/grey smoke quite noticeable when in low range, less noticeable or not present on the highway (probably just can't see it). Gonna change my oil and filter and check the valve clearances and then prepare my wallet if that doesn't help.
    Suspect my old girl needs new oil. Sat for 6months with out being used and then being worked hard

Yeah I didn't realise how many k's I'd done since the last change in like Feb but a couple of trips to Marlborough, Queenstown and Canterbury adds up to 5000 pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yeah I didn't realise how many k's I'd done since the last change in like Feb but a couple of trips to Marlborough, Queenstown and Canterbury adds up to 5000 pretty quick
    Yeah and the ruc adds up just as quick
    rossi.45 likes this.

get bigger tyres, then your odometer will read low!
    223nut likes this.

If you can, change to the GU patrol style wheel bearing lock nuts for your wheel hubs.