Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree202Likes

Thread: BJ73 Landcruiser

Does your wagon have suspension lift in it? If so being a mwb/swb you might just need to fit a gear box spacer to remove the rumble. I did that I my GQ shorty, it sorted it nicely.

Nah it's stock height. Pretty sure it's worn bearings but shit I'm no expert

Had a look at my wheel bearing today after work.

Hub full of water, nice. Still plenty of grease in there though.

Whoever was last in the hub obviously didn't have a big socket and tightened/loosened the locking nuts with a punch. The bearing kit I have doesn't have replacement locking nuts, and I would prefer to replace them rather than re-use the mutilated ones. So I just snugged it up a bit to take the play out and put it all back together. The other thing is that on the 73 series the calliper has a hardline, so it has to be removed to pull the hub off, rather than just unbolted and moved out of the way. So will wait for more parts to do the job properly and avoid having to bleed the brakes twice.

The fun part of re-assembly

Also replaced my broken taillight, breaking a bulb in the process, finding a 24v taillight bulb is a bastard in a small town sometimes. I bought the last one.

Wildman and gadgetman like this.

I went to a local garage and they gave me a few of the locking nuts. Had to drill out and split the old ones off they were that tight. With a strong arm bar and 1m pipe extension I still couldn't budge the nut. When I put the jack under the end of the pipe it just lifted the front of the vehicle off the stands.

I'll have a hunt around for some bulbs. Had a heap of spares for the Safari and trailers. Then switched the trailers back to 12V before going LED.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Do you have diff breather on front diff , re water in hub .

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    Do you have diff breather on front diff , re water in hub .
    Yes but it only runs as high as the chassis rail, extending those is on my "to-do" list, but my "to-do" list is approx 1 mile long and is mostly going to be done next winter once I get a decent garage built to work in.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I went to a local garage and they gave me a few of the locking nuts. Had to drill out and split the old ones off they were that tight. With a strong arm bar and 1m pipe extension I still couldn't budge the nut. When I put the jack under the end of the pipe it just lifted the front of the vehicle off the stands.

I'll have a hunt around for some bulbs. Had a heap of spares for the Safari and trailers. Then switched the trailers back to 12V before going LED.

Cheers - I'm going to stop being lazy and get a big stock of small spares in so I don't have annoying problems like "no 24v bulbs in stock in Hokitika"

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Cheers - I'm going to stop being lazy and get a big stock of small spares in so I don't have annoying problems like "no 24v bulbs in stock in Hokitika"
    For the interior dome light etc, you can get 24v LED replacement bulbs from Aliex. I brought a handful in for my safari, had to search around a bit for actual 24v ones, but got some in the end that were great, heaps brighter than stock..

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    For the interior dome light etc, you can get 24v LED replacement bulbs from Aliex. I brought a handful in for my safari, had to search around a bit for actual 24v ones, but got some in the end that were great, heaps brighter than stock..
    I replaced my dome light with an aftermarket LED assembly right when I first got the truck, it's fuckin awesome - difference literally like day and night
    StrikerNZ likes this.

I replaced my dome light with an aftermarket LED assembly right when I first got the truck, it's fuckin awesome - difference literally like day and night
    Really need to get onto this one... Decided I don't do enough playing for different breathers / can't see arsed

It was hard enough getting some of them here.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@gimp I'm hi jacking your thread!

80series vx, been doing a bit of low range work lately and it smokes like a bastard (grey, light blue) and smells a bit but only when in low, in particular when engine braking. Normal or should I check oil levels in everything? Looks Iike I might be heading away and getting a bit of snow next week... Checking to make sure others haven't had the same and had their truck crap out.

Another topic, tyre pressures in snow? Got mud tyres on at the moment, thinking leave the, had to break hough snow to the gravel underneath rather than let them, down so I float and slide around

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @gimp I'm hi jacking your thread!

80series vx, been doing a bit of low range work lately and it smokes like a bastard (grey, light blue) and smells a bit but only when in low, in particular when engine braking. Normal or should I check oil levels in everything? Looks Iike I might be heading away and getting a bit of snow next week... Checking to make sure others haven't had the same and had their truck crap out.
    How long since you did an oil change? What grade of oil are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    How long since you did an oil change? What grade of oil are you running?
    15w 40 engine, went in for transmission service last year / 2000km? Ago

Whoever was last in the hub obviously didn't have a big socket and tightened/loosened the locking nuts with a punch.

[/QUOTE]

Looks like they butchered that with a coal chisel than a punch I've had to do the same when in a sticky spot gets you going again though, if you don't have the right tool for the job.
    It's coming along though you get a bit of satisfaction in tinkering with old trucks.

When you replace the old one take it out and use it for a gong