Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: New Hilux Fuel Consumption

Checked mine this morning on the way to work… 12.6lt/100ks

2020 double cab with A/Ts and 100 odd kgs of gear in the back fwiw
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I'm stunned that fuel economy in modern 4x4's is this 'poor' for want of a better term.

In the mid 90's I rebuilt a series III stage1 v8 Land rover. So permanent 4x4. Dropped a 6.5L V8 diesel out of a Humvee into it. Last of the fully mechanical injection pumps. Highest transfer case gearing available, so engine spins at 2250 @ 100kph (gps checked). 150,000km of hand written notes at each fill, taken over the first decade of it being on the road and it was doing average 12.3L/100km Vehicle weighs 2.3 T empty. Usual brick shaped zero streamlined vehicle that requires earmuffs and a wet weather coat when driving in the rain.

I thought all this super high pressure common rail electronically controlled injection stuff was to increase fuel efficiency?

tomorrow Im off on annual heifer cart home from Tarras....somewhere around 5 hrs down empty and 6 home loaded..... last time we swapped notes I was still in a smaller powered cat engined old shitbox and the "boys" had new scanias n daf.....end of weeks cartage and our daily fuel usage was within 20 litres of each other and it didnt change by more than 10 litres each day for any of us.
    its hard yakka on small powered unit...average 30 kmph yes that is right,30kmph..from tarras back to omarama .....
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Peter
    I get better mileage from my 5.5ltr v8 merc
    Micky Duck likes this.

older terrano is doing 2200 at 100kmph....

I drive a 2015 Dmax its averaging 8.3L/100k goes up to 8.8 in the summer.
    Previous vehicle 08 SSV holden ute 6L 6speed averaged about 12L/100k
    Drove a few thousand K in a Toyota Prado with the 2.8 ? Barbie Doll motor averaged about 10.8L/100k, I thought it was pretty thirsty to be fair, especially as it did stuff all if you stomped on the go louder pedal.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just changed from a 09 sheep shagger which averaged 9.6l with my heavy tool trailer on to a new lux, flat deck manual, bull bar, side rails, lift kit ,70 series km3 Mts averaging 13.2 L .

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Well I don't know, but I drive a Colorado with a newly fitted canopy and i drove it down to E untill I didn't dare any more.
    70$ at 288 this evening bought it fleas cock over half way twixt 1/4 1/2.
    In vehicle says 13.4L/100
    Shouldda bought a Mustang.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    No matter what fancy Diesel engine you burn diesel in, diesel is still only capable of yielding around 19 hp per gallon burnt per hour. Ditto petrol, about 12 hp per gallon burnt per hour. So if your Ute engine has to make, say, 80 hp to overcome drive train friction and wind resistance and vehicle mass etc to maintain a particular velocity, it’s always going to burn 4 gallons of diesel an hour.

Without improving the efficiency of the fuel, you cannot expect major gains in consumption.
    superdiver likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    No matter what fancy Diesel engine you burn diesel in, diesel is still only capable of yielding around 19 hp per gallon burnt per hour. Ditto petrol, about 12 hp per gallon burnt per hour. So if your Ute engine has to make, say, 80 hp to overcome drive train friction and wind resistance and vehicle mass etc to maintain a particular velocity, it’s always going to burn 4 gallons of diesel an hour.

Without improving the efficiency of the fuel, you cannot expect major gains in consumption.
    There's a bit more to that equation than that - but the basics of your argument are correct. The issue with a smaller engine like the Nissan 2.3L sewing machine with 16 hair dryers and a supercharger on them is that it's all producing the power at revs and no torque. So if you alter the drive characteristics by say loading a heavy boat+trailer on the back is the engine can't easily get to the required RPM to produce the required power. End result is a shitload of black smoke out the exhaust and possibly a limp mode DTC for fuel injector operation and oxygen sensor readings out of spec. Ont he other hand, a bigger capacity engine is less economical empty but at heavy load does not struggle so much and uses the fuel more efficiently.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Just checked my 2015 Hilux, last of the 3L turbo's. Has higher profile tyres, 2" lift, snorkel & canopy etc and it averaged 9.7L/hundy on a trip from Lincoln to Wanaka & back. Thats going by the vehicle info, not an actual true calc. Will do a true calc next time around, but I've always thought that my consumption was ok and happy with it.

Just done this in the 2018 2wd triton.
    One short trip towing the boat.
    One Idle warm up till the windscreen defosted cos I parked too far from the hose.
    One trip to the start of Heaphy track and back so winding and hilly roads with 4 adults and a dog and around 150-200kilos of shit in the tray.
    Driving economicly but not slowly....at the posted limit or maybe a touch more.
    Filled to the tippy tippy top both times.
    309.1km + 5% correction for tire size = 324.5 km
    29.3 liters

9.03 L per 100km
    Filled in mot by time I was back to Richmond dash showed if I continued driving as I was I should get 1090km out of the 75l tank.
    I can never keep my foot out of it for that long tho but I did get just shy of 1000km out of a tank driving the nice flat straight roads down south a couple of years ago.
    Name:  IMG_20220709_121648.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  3.79 MB
    Trout and Moa Hunter like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah it's the hills and the corners that stuffs the fuel economy. Need to get onto those Green bastards and get them to campaign for flat straight roads!!!
    veitnamcam likes this.

had major engine issues today.....truck sat on 1.72kms per litre all the way home......by my rough maths thats 58 litres per hundred KMS..... Farkin pleased Im not paying fuel bill.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Have you mentioned this to your mates that ride bikes ?
    Nope. Them are generally whinging plicks at the best of times. One of them was moaning about how in winter the rain made the roads break apart and they end up covered in loose stones and potholes, then five months later in summer the same fella was whining about getting bees in his helmet and it being too damn hot to ride in the middle of the day. I was like aircon, bro, aircon as I walked away.

As far as the fuel economy, I love it when they do this new safer roads lower speed limits BS they always move the new speed limit signs to just after the flat bit of road at the lower speed limit ends so you have to accelerate up the hill rather than on the flat. Awesome.