Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: The flashlight sticky

Thanks for that I will keep waiting, it doesnt seem like I long time when you hit the order button but now everything else is here I cant wait for it to arrive!

MSL
    Does dedoming the M24 affect the uniformity of the beam? Does it retain that perfect circle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Does dedoming the M24 affect the uniformity of the beam? Does it retain that perfect circle?

Retains or slightly improves the uniformity. The centre spot becomes slightly smaller and just over twice the intensity. The cost is less spill outside the spot, not that many consider this a cost.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Scratch that @sparky1000 I just got home and it's here waiting! Now to get it dedomed?

sparky1000 likes this.

Good info @7mmwsm mine will be used as a rifle light for night shooting so I will get it done for sure

Still waiting

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1000 View Post
    Still waiting
    Ordered mine on the 23rd of October and I'm still waiting too.

Shit they take a while to get here.. I have ordered several lights from Aliexpress.com : Buy Convoy C8 Cree XML2 U2 1A LED Flashlight,torch,lantern,lanterna bike ,self defense,camping light, lamp,for bicycle from Reliable flashlight batteries suppliers on Shenzhen Convoy Electronics Co., Ltd.. | Alibaba Group and they have taken just over 2 weeks to get here. I highly recommend the light in the link too

I've got one of those Convoy C8 lights - fantastic sized.
    Not the spotlight-like Maxtoch, but still great on a rifle.

The main thing with delivery times is China Post. Their times vary hugely. Sometimes I'll get things in two weeks and other times in two months but it does get here.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yep have had stuff arrive in 10 days, then next time Chinapost is 6 weeks. You just have to be patient, order it and forget it. Outcome is good though - great gear at a fraction of price of locally sold stuff.

Little C8 good as a short to medium range light. They run anywhere from 15-32k lux from my experience - dedomed from 30-65k lux. Try to order the SMO (smooth reflector) and not the OP (orange peel reflector) as SMO throws further. Good on shotties.

Yeah I spoke to Amanda via email and she said there has been a hold up as the Christmas rush is gearing up, lots of stuff to be sent around the world. Hope they get here before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Little C8 good as a short to medium range light. They run anywhere from 15-32k lux from my experience - dedomed from 30-65k lux. Try to order the SMO (smooth reflector) and not the OP (orange peel reflector) as SMO throws further. Good on shotties.
    One of mine has a SMO reflector and it has a dedomed XM-L2 U2 running at 4.2A.. It's bright
    What sort of lux would you expect from that light? Can see cows at 400m with it on a clear night

And I also have this beast on the way Courui D01 1200Lm CREE XM-L2 3-Mode Super-bright LED Flashlight Torch (3 x 18650 Battery)-30.63 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    3 18650's in parallel - shouldn't need to worry about potected batteries too much?
    75mm head! Bigger than those Maxtoch things.
    With a little mod of a resistor I should get around 4.5A and I'll run a XM-L2 U3 on copper

Hello Logs - in developing the Maxtochs we specifically designed lights for hunters, lights which had to incorporate key features.

We designed them with XML leds/copper boards/AR lens/good size reflectors etc to be very powerful in standard form -about 82k lux for the M24 and 120k lux for the 2X - so no modifications really required. But we also knew that in 10 mins we could dedome them to 170+ for the M24 and about 250k for the 2X, which is huge. We designed them with heads that are NOT too big (63 and 68mm) so they will fit on scopes easily with common mounts, and we designed them with 25m tubes so they will fit standard scope rings. We built them light - just 270gms for the M24, and 440 for the handheld 2X. We developed them aiming for ideal beam balance - long distance spot (hence the v high lux readings) plus good beam spill for scanning areas quickly. We set their amps/current levels to give them acceptable runtimes - not performance only.

We wanted a high performance hunter torch off the shelf - not something which would need to be modded with resistor mods, different drivers, high currents etc - mods which often cause short run times, reliability, and heating issues. 99% of buyers here don't do this stuff. It is possible and alot of budgetlightforum guys have done it, to mod the 2X to 350-400k lux performance, and a highly modded M24 would also be over 300-350k, but that's not the market here - not what kiwi hunters do.

The stock Maxtochs are designed to meet all the base criteria. By comparison when modding up the little C8s yes you can get them over 100k lux with alterations to boost current to 4-5 amps plus dedoming but you encounter probs with heating in some, reliability issues, and short runtimes. Can be fun to do but from direct experience over last few years almost no kiwi hunters will do heavy modding - they just want to buy something online and at most send it off to gadget or sneeze etc for a dedome. So we don't focus on the modding route much.

With the bigger Courui D01 you mention above - this looks a good light but we've long learned that doesn't necessarily mean a good hunter. Its very heavy at 472gms - getting on for twice the weight of the M24, and it has alot less output at just 60k lux (Blf tests). Stock its heavier than the 2X, but it has only half of the 2X's 120k output. It also has about a 46mm tube - fitting no standard rings for mounting, and has a big head at 75mm which can also cause mounting issues. In fact its too heavy for a scope light, and it has not enough output for a good spottie. Would dedome to about 125k - alot less than the lightweight M24's 170+k - and half the output of a dedomed 2X. By comparison the M24 is ideal for both scope mounting or spottie.

So it is possible to buy cheaper lights and mod them up but there are often issues, and thats what we wanted to avoid with the Maxtochs. We've designed them from scratch to be designated hunter lights ex factory, with high enough performance that buyers don't need to touch them. We did a hell of alot of light experimenting to arrive at this point...a few good ideas and plenty of reject lights There are some excellent makes of lights out there like Olight, Dereelight, Thrunite, Fenix, Armytek, Black Diamond etc - some very dear - but the challenge was building one that was right for kiwi hunting conditions, and that's what the guys put into the Maxtochs.

So have fun with the torch buying and modding. As you get into it I hope the criteria for hunting lights above will help you avoid lights that sometimes look promising but end up on the shelf. Plenty of people reading this have got them or had them....... I know we have....
    anderset20 likes this.