Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree205Likes

Thread: The flashlight sticky

That's plenty for me then! Thanks Gerbs...

Quite interesting to look through the feedback section on the M24 page to see where all the purchases have been from.. Very popular with NZ'ers!!

Grotto
    Yep, mine arrived earlier this week (within 2 weeks of purchase) Justin time for a night shoot.
    Very impressed.

I already had some Panasonic batteries, but bought some more locally (Onehunga) from a place that re packs drill batteries. The guy reckons they are at least as good as Panasonics, said he uses the best he can get as most of the cost of the re pack is labour and he wouldn't skimp to save a few bucks of batteries as his business relies on good products. He sells the batteries for $6 each, which makes them much cheaper than Panasonics. Only issue is they are flat top, but I just put a copper washer between them.

Grotto: what is the Onehunga business please?

Grotto
    Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Grotto: what is the Onehunga business please?
    Batteryworx.co.nz
    Address: 61 Onehunga Mall, Onehunga, Auckland 1061.
    P: (09 ) 390 8181

Grotto
    Update to my "very impressed with Maxtoch"

After 15-20 minutes use it stopped. Thought batteries were flat which seemed unlikely as they were brand new Panasonics freshly charged. Tried changing the batteries but still no go. Torch came with a spare switch, so I'll have a go at fitting that, but reasonably unimpressed, works out to about $300 an hour for light!
    I've emailed Maxtoch, hopefully they'll sort something out, as I was hoping this item would be a bit better than the usual Aliexpress disposable junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Grotto View Post

After 15-20 minutes use it stopped. Thought batteries were flat which seemed unlikely as they were brand new Panasonics freshly charged. Tried changing the batteries but still no go. Torch came with a spare switch, so I'll have a go at fitting that, but reasonably unimpressed, works out to about $300 an hour for light!
    I've emailed Maxtoch, hopefully they'll sort something out, as I was hoping this item would be a bit better than the usual Aliexpress disposable junk.
    Before you slag off the torch try some batteries that aren't flat top like the panasonics.cheap batteries could be the cause !!!!

Any chance the copper washers could have contacted the side wall of the torch?
    Wirehunt and veitnamcam like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Grotto
    Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Before you slag off the torch try some batteries that aren't flat top like the panasonics.cheap batteries could be the cause !!!!
    As I said in my post, batteries were Panasonics, (not flat top). They were about $15 each which (to me) isn't cheap. Not sure how much you spend on your batteries, but if Maxtoch torches require some type of super expensive ones to work, maybe they should say so.

Tried other ones, still no go.

All the batteries work fine in my other torch.

Grotto
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Any chance the copper washers could have contacted the side wall of the torch?
    Had Panasonic batteries in it which are not flat top. Thought it may be something to do with the "protection circuit board" in the batteries, but they work fine in other torch.

Copper washer wouldn't contact anyway as it's only 6mm diameter and glued with a dab of silicon (still going well in another torch).

Had Panasonic batteries in it which are not flat top. Thought it may be something to do with the "protection circuit board" in the batteries, but they work fine in other torch.

Copper washer wouldn't contact anyway as it's only 6mm diameter and glued with a dab of silicon (still going well in another torch).
    Have emailed you. Amanda sent you my details.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Does the Maxtoch Sniper M24 torch come with batteries?
    If not how much would you typically have to spend to get decent batteries for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Does the Maxtoch Sniper M24 torch come with batteries?
    If not how much would you typically have to spend to get decent batteries for it?
    Doesn't come with batteries, about $30 for a good pair.
    If you buy the package deal offered you may be waiting for a while for your torch - LiIon batteries are now shipped the very slow way.

Grotto - these lights are certainly not standard aliexpress fare. Have tried plenty of those in the past - some good, some bad. It is not a good idea to immediately throw toys out of the cot if an issue arises. The Maxtochs are very popular here for a good reason - they are well made, high performing products and of the umpteen hundreds shipped to NZ hunters faulty ones are very rare. If however you do get one that is not performing properly send to Brian (gadgetman) - it will be an easy fix and if he is feeling very kind he might even dedome it for you.

With regard to batteries - for high output XML grunters like the Maxtochs you must have high quality batteries. Minimum will be Trustfire 3000s, but best to spend extra and invest in rechargeable Panasonic 3400 protected buttontops. No ultrafires or you'll have much shorter runtime and battery liife span. Panasonic 3400s from Fasttech overseas or some on trademe - but make sure the latter are genuine.
    Last edited by mudgripz; 11-07-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Grotto
    Thanks. Brian is going to check it out. I have Panasonics off TM, look genuine. The ones I got from Batteryworx for the kids torches are really good, way better than the Ultrafires, and at least as good as the Surefire batteries. I'll compare them to the Panasonics when I get my torch going.

Wasn't meaning to throw my toys out of the cot, but had expected torch to work for a fair amount of time rather than under an hour. Other torches I've had of Ali seem to have a success rate of about 70%, but the sellers have always just sent replacements - some have been hammered by the kids for a couple of years and still go fine, but nowhere near as bright as the Maxtoch.

Don't understand the electrics behind them so maybe the odd fault arises, and it's good that you can get service in the same country, even if it's at the other end. I guess that's the price you pay for not buying locally from a shop (and paying a whole lot more).

Anyway, hopefully I'll end up with a torch that works for a decent length of time, but looks like it's the motorcycle battery and hand held spotlight in the short term.