Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree4621Likes

Thread: Show me your knives

Gutted hundreds of trout,and skinned heaps of rabbits and hares thought it was time to up grade the old mercator.
    Name:  picture 01 3835.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  162.9 KB
    Tahr, Puffin, ebf and 12 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Gutted hundreds of trout,and skinned heaps of rabbits and hares thought it was time to up grade the old mercator.
    Attachment 174513
    It’s only half worn.
    Dundee, Micky Duck and Pixie Z like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

After having just finished a extended hunting trip,taking in 35 days of actual hunting over the last couple of months ,l can thoroughly recommend the Bark River knife my missus got me for xmas .I am bit of a knife nut & being a Ex Shearer, Abby hand,pro Roo,Fox , Rabbit Shooter & Guide l will not put up with shit blades ,this thing really impressed me performing as good as knives 4X the price,with nice heft & balance .

I have for decades always Overland style broken down & boned out my game in the bush, after having a mate blow his knee out on a Tahr hunt over 20 yrs ago.This knife performed very well & responded to light touch ups with being back to shaving sharp in minutes,the main thing is like any blade do not let them get as blunt as your old fellow, l carry a small forestry clipper touch up stone & you can use most rough material as a strop denim jeans are particularly good for it & l have used it to strop even my Cut Throat Razors for years .

If you are looking at knives l recommend them .

I took 14 different animals & helped break down another 8 or so , taking in basically everything we have on offer here from pigs in low land scrub to Tahr in the Alpine peaks,including some large old Stags past their prime & the blade & the knifes heft & balance worked well & filled 4 homes chest freezers for Salami , Sausage & summer BBQ feeds after being emptied to help others effected by the floods.

Name:  RED Bark River Fox River SMALL.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  31.2 KB
    Last edited by bunji; 07-08-2021 at 08:44 PM.

@Dundee Yep people over look the old school proven blades,Swiss Army knives are also good steel.Me & a mate just went on a hunt to fill the freezers for Salami & Sausage making & he hunted a gully while l took the Tops ,he dropped a mongrel spiker & realized he had left his knife in the ute ,he ended up gutting & breaking down the carcass with a Swiss Army knife off his key ring,apart from opening boxes of gear at work,he had never thought of using it before for anything else in 8 yrs.

I had a go a couple of years ago and made this and one other as my first attempt at knife making. NZ beech handle and hoof rasp for blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Wow, very impressive, I like your design!
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

Thanks, I like your ones too, nice curve

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    After having just finished a extended hunting trip,taking in 35 days of actual hunting over the last couple of months ,l can thoroughly recommend the Bark River knife ......

If you are looking at knives l recommend them .
    bunji what was the name / model of that knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Ooops View Post
    When you hover over the picture the title comes up as Red Bark River Fox River - seem to be various versions of Fox River around

Quote Originally Posted by Hewie View Post
    When you hover over the picture the title comes up as Red Bark River Fox River - seem to be various versions of Fox River around
    There are several versions of the Fox River. All made by Bark River. But "Red" is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewie View Post
    Every day's a school day

Quote Originally Posted by Ooops View Post
    @Ooops Sorry only just seen your post ,yeh its a older Fox River version l believe .I was lucky the seller was having a collection clear out/update & l got it for a bargain .

It has done another lot of game since those trips & is off getting a new HD sheath made to my specs .The RED bit is just a color code file reference my SIL gave for helping a Puter numpty like me for posting pics on the forum, with the SNAFU resizing requirements for posting
    Last edited by bunji; 18-08-2021 at 08:11 PM.
    Ooops likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

My go to knives. Four of the best knives I've ever owned, one Knifekut and three Victory knives. I own and have owned Gerbers, Svords and knives of various other brands, some expensive and some not so much. Some got returned to place of purchase, some stuffed in a draw and forgotten about and others chucked in the bin.Name:  coalrange 010.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  121.1 KB
    Phil_H likes this.

Finished this sucker up. Hunting themed kitchen knife. W2 is a mint steel. Should be a weapon in the kitchen

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Tahr, Bryan, hotbarrels and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    What's the bottom one @Three O'Three , it looks like the DROP POINT KNIFE 10cm which I am warming to, especially at only $25. I'm feeling a need to compliment my Bacho

Cheers
    Phil
    Yes its a 10cm drop point. I paid $36 which included a scabbard. Its a great little knife. When I got it was quite sharp but after putting it to a leather strop it was like a razor blade and its held its edge real well, only ever had to strop it to keep it sharp. Makes light work of processing small animals.