Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree4623Likes

Thread: Show me your knives

Thats a beauty

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Pixie Z likes this.
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

Just had my 60th on the weekend & was gifted these custom F1, S1 and A1 Fallknivens by the crew ,back when we were traveling around Oz in our Mitzi 4x4 Canter Camper ,we would drop the camper off in remote mountain spots & go Sambar hunting for a couple of weeks at a time ,we got to know & become good friends with a few of the keen Hound teams as they would hunt during the week & it ended up they would share our camp & leave gear with us rather than carting it back & forth .

One of the blokes was a very talented Knife maker & he custom made these to my specs ,unbeknown to me, mates had been cunningly squizzing me on what l thought was a perfect hunting knife set up around the camp fires while we were away hunting .

I have always liked the larger Fallknivens for field dressing/butchering but have big hands so found the handles on the small side & we do a lot of Jet Boat hunting & a couple of Stewart Island boat, Fiordland expeditions each year,so wanted a Kydex sheath & a large camp/boat knife . He custom made the larger handles & Kydex Sheaths for me & reground them ,they have already done a couple Deer,Pigs & Goats each .

Name:  Red Fallkniven Birthday Present Sml .jpg
Views: 530
Size:  80.6 KB
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

The big one definitely has some of that crocodile Dundee look :-)
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Name:  20211127_151215.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  2.84 MB
    Not really hunting related, or maybe it is from the food prep hunting side.
    Venom K tip kitchen knife. 14c28n, stabilized Pohutakawa, curly maple and purple juma composite handles. This one is for a Kiwi based in Colorado over the ski season. Might be carving Turkeys with this one ��

RV1
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Thanks for the contact @Ross Nolan Johns a good bugger and does awesome work.

Attachment 184272
    Louie, that repurposed sheep shear knife is awesome - I've never seen anything like it. Clever idea. I love this thread for all the professional knives being shown, but also for all those hobbyists "having a go" making their own. I might track down some shears myself...
    Louie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RV1 View Post
    Louie, that repurposed sheep shear knife is awesome - I've never seen anything like it. Clever idea. I love this thread for all the professional knives being shown, but also for all those hobbyists "having a go" making their own. I might track down some shears myself...
    Cheers mate, I saw some other guys have a crack at it on here and I figured I'd have a go too. I'll use the other blade with the makers stamp to make a nicer one when I've got the right antler.

The old shears tend be decent German steel and anywhere from $15-50 on trade me.
    RV1 likes this.

This is my first hunting knife..... it started life as a standard Green River Skinner style that all shepherds used to use.
    I replaced the wooden handle with a piece of Antler and used it like that for years before it got deemed not fit for purpose and left in the hunting cupboard for about 30 years.
    Then one long wet day, I dug it out and took a sanding block to the Antler which improved it immensely.
    But the big swept skinning shaped blade still grated with me, so on another long wet day, I shortened the blade and reshaped it to a clip point....... far more user friendly.
    I managed to bludge a bit of leather and made it a new sheath on another slow wet week

Name:  20211216_131804.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  362.4 KB
    Name:  20211216_131827.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  156.7 KB
    Name:  20211216_131931.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  421.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bottom knife is the original Bark River skinner. Great knife.
    Top one is the latest iteration just produced (different handle)

Name:  IMG_5870 2.jpeg
Views: 412
Size:  453.0 KB
    viper, Micky Duck, WillB and 1 others like this.

Name:  20211128_100222.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  4.13 MBfinal knife for 2021.
    Boomslang model, pearlescent green resin and maple burl handle scales.
    14c28n stainless, full grind with tapered tang.

Blooded

Name:  IMG_5883.jpeg
Views: 483
Size:  3.75 MB
    Trout, hotbarrels, Scouser and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    How do you find that profile for field boning work? Manage around balls joints etc OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    How do you find that profile for field boning work? Manage around balls joints etc OK?
    Wonderful. The best all round shape for me.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Attachment 185907
    Not really hunting related, or maybe it is from the food prep hunting side.
    Venom K tip kitchen knife. 14c28n, stabilized Pohutakawa, curly maple and purple juma composite handles. This one is for a Kiwi based in Colorado over the ski season. Might be carving Turkeys with this one ��
    Your knives are stunning @viper !
    Shearer and viper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Wonderful. The best all round shape for me.
    +1
    The combination of a Wolf River (original version as per @Tahr brown handle photo) and a Fox River make the ideal skinning and boning combination.

Here are my main knives, most have a particular use, Mercator copy, travels in pocket and comes hunting, orange handle broken blade filleting knife is a trout backbone remover, black handle ex pig sticker is my skinning knife, wooden handle carving knife is my meat cutter upper, the skinny wooden handle knife spends most of its time watching the others work.

Name:  IMG_1468.JPG
Views: 482
Size:  792.3 KB
    Brian, Nick-D, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.