Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: No Duck Shooting 2020

Had a spot on the Waihou River, that faced towards the setting sun. Once it set I could shoot till quite late with the thin line of light that was left on the horizon. Once the ducks dropped into this light. Was rather fun. I had a good dog though and the birds would drop into a swamp so I could pick most.
    Used to get around three to four out of that spot for a week. Was down there most nights after work.
    Good luck to you all for this years Game bird shoot
    Woody and Micky Duck like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    When i cant clearly identify the bird I stop shooting. To me it’s not about numbers but the shooting, one of the reasons why I cant relate to the shoot them on the water brigade.
    mikee and Micky Duck like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I reckon you need cloud to have a backdrop to see the ducks against. Clear nights there's nothing to silhouette them. Set up facing west into the last light, with a low horizon. But you need to get them before they drop below the horizon or it's game over to the ducks.
    Bummer you are on stock shifts Tiroahunta.
    It’s all good 7mmwsm. I’m not a avid duck hunter. Just like to make the gun go bang on opening morning and if I get a duck it’s a bonus. I look at it as a public service...I help keep the ducks moving...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mikee, Micky Duck and Kopua Cowboy like this.

good on ya....we too like to poke lots of tiny holes in the sky....if a duck happens to get a few of them there holes in itself...well it would be a crying shame if the bog didnt get some excersise by retrieving it...and if she has gone to all the hard work of retreiving it...well a fella just has to pluck it and eat it.
    we shoot buggerall in the evening shoot BUT its the highlight of the weekend....spectacular sunsets squeal my wheels,the chance to bag a fat greenhead at same time is just too good to resist.
    7mmwsm likes this.

Oho greys!! They used to be easy to fool. You could shoot at them and they would fly away and you could call em back in for a second shot Might be why you dont see so many now.
    mawzer308 and CATLINS HUNTER like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.