Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Proposed banning of lead shot in sub gauge shotguns report from Southland

What would happen if we missed a season? like just one season I would imagine a lot of un-shot ducks should rise the population up a bit. Although if F&G were doing anything constructive the population shouldn't have really dropped. This is my last year on a kid licence I think so gonna see how duck shooting looks next year to if I spend the whole adult fee to shoot fuck all. You dont need a licence on your own property right? so could always just shoot my maize paddock anyway.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Seen it in Aussie Toby, been a few seasons dropped or cut drastically short in the last decade. Gotta do what ya gotta do

Cool

It appears our mike has slid back into the shrek type F&Gcavern in invergigill to lick his wounds after everything bar the kitchen sink was thrown at him.
    Mike,you there Mike- email prof Mike Spray at massey university re evidence to back your"noble gesture".
    His reply to my email briefly was compared to the environmental disater of dirty dairying ,this lead issue was like a pimple on an elephants ass ,a minute one at that.that is the impending disaster theyre trying to resolve,. from what ive witnessed from another "southland" seminarspeaker ,lush dairy paddocks are a favourite haunt of your duckshooting buddies.
    furthermore would you be polite enough to answer the outstanding issues still posed on this forum.

What would happen if we missed a season? like just one season I would imagine a lot of un-shot ducks should rise the population up a bit. Although if F&G were doing anything constructive the population shouldn't have really dropped. This is my last year on a kid licence I think so gonna see how duck shooting looks next year to if I spend the whole adult fee to shoot fuck all. You dont need a licence on your own property right? so could always just shoot my maize paddock anyway.
    nothings certain unfortunatly tobyi would hope so but by the time desease and hunger kicked in we could be worse of if the extra birds became spreaders of botulism or salmonella.
    the one bright light is the major research program f&g are doing according to the latest h&f catalogue

I am not closed minded.
    I will be the first to retire my 20 and 28g if you can show me recent and RELEVANT and Balanced scientific studies supporting the argument and change to the rules.

NOT Studies where the outcome is not decided first then supporting evidence gathered to support that outcome. But truly independent with unbiased researcher(s).

I am more than prepared to publicly admit I am wrong should it be so proved that Sub Gauges are one of the major reasons for the decline in duck populations
    veitnamcam and john m like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I will retire my 16 ga also

I am more than prepared to publicly admit I am wrong should it be so proved that Sub Gauges are one of the major reasons for the decline in duck populations
    your pretty safe there mikee
    i dont think even the proponents of the change would even say that.
    this is just a sideshow to test thier power to influence the national body and their supporters in other regions
    the end game is yet to be revealed but there is more a foot than just this proposed change i,l bet my left testicle on it.
    Wirehunt and Pointer like this.

please register your distaste over southlands actions with the national councill as it appears they still may have the final say before southlands changes go before the minister
    Wirehunt and Kiwi-Hunter like this.

It’s going to turn into a bigger problem if we don't vote in the next fish&game election and get these members off the broad. Fred Inder along with Stephen Brown voted that Southland stay using lead shot in sub gauge till it became a National vote. They cannot leave things alone. They have not listened to the licence holders which puts this in their own agenda and breaks what they stand for to represent US the Licence holders on our behalf .Well we can all flog this I didn’t vote and didn’t know about it either. But they have my attention now the BASTARDS.
    In the USA they have taken the lead shot on waterfoul away then its lead shot on game birds. Then all game we have used steel shot on rabbits: don't go there
    But I see that this bit of information on California which is below is how it may go in ten years or less.
    Is this what Rodway was meaning by our credibility ( Fish & Game) who's credibility is all green machine anti gun, corporate Dollars. I think. FAT CATS
    Here are the minutes and the page for more info
    Local Council Downloads | Southland
    http://southland.fishandgame.org.nz/...ary%202013.pdf
    February 21, 2013
    Lead Ammo: Animal Groups Push for Blanket Ban in California
    By Chad Love
    California hunters — who already must hunt with lead-free ammo across the range (NO WATER HERE)of the California condor — are now facing a new push to ban all lead hunting ammunition statewide.
    From this story on mercurynews.com:
    Fresh off a wave of success in the state Capitol last year, animal welfare groups are taking aim at a new target this year: hunting with lead ammunition. The Humane Society, Audubon California and Defenders of Wildlife are behind a major push to make California the first state to ban lead ammunition for all types of hunting, setting the stage for a showdown with some hunters and adding another layer to the heated gun control debate. The state already bans lead ammunition for hunters in the range of the endangered California condor, but environmentalists say a statewide ban is needed because overwhelming scientific evidence shows condors, bald eagles and other birds are still dying from lead poisoning when they eat dead deer and other animals shot by hunters.

Thoughts? Reaction? What do you think, California hunters? Is this inevitable, or a winnable fight?

from Dann wrote 1 week 1 day ago
    This Californian hunter thinks they have a better than reasonable chance. HSUS has been making inroads into the Fish and Wildlife over the last several years. They donated money for the CALTIP poacher hotline, donated money for K-9 dogs and successfully gotten the name changed from Fish and Game to Fish and Wildlife.
    Big money talks, I guess. I've written to the Commission asking for a refund on my lifetime license and threatened to hunt AZ where they know how to run a condor program without punishing hunters.

Hi Kevin

Southland Fish and Game has announced at its February 2013 meeting to require the use of nontoxic shot for all waterfowl hunting over water, with a three year transition, but excluding junior hunters and 410 shotguns. The transition would begin in 2014 with a voluntary change, then a ban on public waters and, finally in 2017, mandatory use of non-toxic shot over all water bodies. The New Zealand Council does not favour the lifting of the lead shot exemption on sub-gauges.

Regards

Robert

Each Fish and Game Council is empowered by legislation to make recommendations to the Minister on season conditions (s26R(3) of the Conservation Act [Anglers Notice], s15 Wildlife Act [Open Season for Game Notice]. This is done through the NZ Council who coordinates the process each season and ensures the approval and publication of the Sports Fish and Game Gazette Notices that contain the conditions for all regions. Each region has autonomy to set conditions for its region as it sees fit. Your concerns therefore should be conveyed to the Southland Fish and Game Council.

Regards

Robert

Robert Sowman | Policy & Planning Manager

New Zealand Fish and Game Council
    some info from the top

Your concerns therefore should be conveyed to the Southland Fish and Game Council.

They haven't listened to date what’s going to change.
    See the big picture which will in time involve all of us.
    1993 February-Netherlands bans the use of lead shot for hunting over wetlands.
    1995 Netherlands bans the use of lead shot in all hunting.
    2004 Netherlands bans the use of lead shot for clay pigeons.
    There are 29 that I know of so far going down this slide .
    The one above is just a look at what's happened in ELEVEN years.
    DON’T THINK THEY WON’T TRY IT IN NZ.

http://www.peregrinefund.org/subsite...15%20Avery.pdf
    Last edited by Kiwi-Hunter; 06-03-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

its not on the gazzette for this year so that pushes back thier plans to introduce a phase in plan at least another year.
    hopefuly the lack of support will change the other regions mind and see this fall away despite the deals bieng done.

It was never going to be put up for this years gazette. The rules for this year were made in December. The sub gauge decision wasn't till February just been with the intention of being set next December at the regulations setting meeting for gazetting February 2014.

One can only hope the southland shooters whose sport is impacted by this devious action,gather en masse and demand a speciasl general meeting of the council.
    one hopes then a massive vote of no confidence is invoked and all you righteous weknow it all concillors are tipped out on your ear.
    thats NZs biggest problem at present .elected people who will not listen to those who put them there in the first place.
    BTWhave you emailed Prof mike Joy at massey varsity yet-or perhaps his opinion on lead will not suit "your rules" either.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    One can only hope the southland shooters whose sport is impacted by this devious action,gather en masse and demand a speciasl general meeting of the council.
    one hopes then a massive vote of no confidence is invoked and all you righteous weknow it all concillors are tipped out on your ear.
    thats NZs biggest problem at present .elected people who will not listen to those who put them there in the first place.
    BTWhave you emailed Prof mike Joy at massey varsity yet-or perhaps his opinion on lead will not suit "your rules" either.
    From what I gather they didn't have enough candidates down there to require a vote.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!