Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: 1080 KILLING FISH

Signed
    Dundee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Good on yas 779 signatures now.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I must have been 780 then
    Dundee likes this.

I've signed.
    Dundee likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Signed. Time to find an alternative. Several decades of throwing this sh*t around the back country and it still hasn't worked.
    veitnamcam, Dundee, Gibo and 1 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Signed. Time to find an alternative. Several decades of throwing this sh*t around the back country and it still hasn't worked.
    Well said JoshC, We that have lived with the curse of 1080 are able to judge the real results, despite the 4 million dollars spent annually on propaganda by DOC, AHB and Regional Councils..

Wife and I have signed
    Dundee likes this.

Ejected
    @ex culler, your a bastard

To all the ones screaming 'cost effective' A little bit of information for you when it comes to doc. We don't know if it's cost effective or not cause doc now don't do any pre monitoring. Because of that they don't even know if they need to poison. How is that cost effective? HOW???
    That is straight from the horses mouth via an OIA request, Science and Capability Group of doc.
    Go look at the AHB website, best practice says you need to see how many you've got BEFORE an operation. But that is rocket science.
    " Identifying the population density enables us to assess the TB risk in a particular area and target our control programme" from Pest management
    You do realise that if they carry on with the current thinking/methods possums are going to be out of control soon in places they have never been of real concern till now.

Now all those with kids, go ask then what they have learnt about science. I know my 10 year old already knows you've got to have figures to begin with when studying anything.

On the AHB, do you realise they at times pay $80+ per possum? That is before monitoring and admin costs. Wanna know something else? I'm seeing more possums now than I have for years, and this is on farms that AHB runs over regularly needed or not.

But the AHB is all about TB, as others have said other countries have gotten rid of it without using this shit.
    One question. If a truck is used to transport TB reactors what happens to it afterwards?
    Does it get fully sterilized then go through multiple screenings?

Now the 1080 in fish, the mice/rats might be the reason I've gotten a report on bluecod and anothrer fish type appearing with 1080 residue. Still researching this one cause at this point I can't confirm it.

sturg4
    Name:  Page 1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  183.6 KBName:  Page 1 Page 2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  180.7 KB

"Wirehunt" You mentioned that the cost per possum killed by AHB can approach $80.00 which is true.

But look at the cost of killing these possums in the Coromandel.

A secret deal was done between Waikato Regional Council and the Te Mata Forest owners which I managed to get a copy of (Non disclosure document0 and sent the above article and the document to the Waikato Times.

They gave it big coverage and their were a few singed feathers over the next couple of weeks. Plain Fucking incompetence.

That's our money.
    Last edited by Scribe; 20-10-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Caught the last 5 minutes of the Auckland council meeting on Face TV Channel 83 just after 1300hrs today the vote was 17 for and 2 against the proposed 1080 drop. I can't find the video online someone will know I guess?
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

sturg4
    Name:  Tongariro.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  537.7 KB

TONGARIRO....THE FOREST OF THE FUTURE.

Testing ground for large scale 1080 treatments, especially for the effects on the local kiwi population

Intensive monitoring since 2001.

Its hard to argue that the Battle For The Birds is a success.

In 2008 trappers were brought into this Forest to reverse the decline in Whio (blue duck) and Kiwi Populations.
    outdoorlad likes this.

Here is a link to the latest propaganda . This link will get you to the pre recorded program to be broadcast on RNZ Thursday at 9pm.

Radio New Zealand Audio Player

There is at least one blatant misleading statement made in the little I have heard thus far, and that is the claim that poison operators take great care to avoid dropping 1080 poison into waterways. This is utterly untrue and in fact the AHB , in conjunction with DoC has made efforts to make certain they ARE given resource consents allowing them to drop into waterways and lakes.

There is also a statement made that areas as large (which is very small really) as 10,000 ha are too large to be trapped by ground control. This is also completely untrue. And in fact, trapping can be cheaper and more effective than 1080.

The if's buts and maybe's emanating from Elliot near the end of this program prove the continuing lack of proof DoC has that 1080 is beneficial although he is attempting to cover thge lack of proof by talking about "indications".

There is also discussion about targeting stoats and rats. Stoats are carnivores and not nearly enough can be killed by depending on them dying through eating carcasses killed by 1080. The stoats do not eat 1080 cereal baits directly.

There is an important admission within the documentary, and it is made clear that" areas are unsafe for hunting due to rotting carcasses , for 4 to 6 months", which is virtually a mandatory period where rotting carcasses may continue to pollute waterways; AND YET, persons are and have been, expected to drink water from these affected catchments from within 4 days of a 1080 drop!.

I am sure others listening in will make further comments.

By the way, there will be a public protest outside West Coast regional Council offices midday tomorrow. They have some very searching OIA questions to answer about their resource consent protocols and conflicts of interests, pollution of water supplies etc, now several days overdue, and have been having panic meetings behind closed doors all week.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Good on ya Woody
    CFD

Tools not Toys
    I still cant believe that Maggie Barry is our conservation minister. I learnt this just now. "She had a gardening show, fuck yeah lets put her in charge!" How the fuck did she even get into parliament?

I don't like 1080 either and agree that it is only used because it results in a lot of fat cat pockets getting fatter. I find it hard not to get bitter and angry on the subject to be honest.

Seems to me that the people advocating it have never been in bombed out silent bush, I mean how else could you justify it?

There is a bit of noise here (Wanaka) at the moment about getting the Makarora and Wilkin Valley drops stopped, I shall do some research and get involved.
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by hanse View Post
    I still cant believe that Maggie Barry is our conservation minister. I learnt this just now. "She had a gardening show, fuck yeah lets put her in charge!" How the fuck did she even get into parliament?

I don't like 1080 either and agree that it is only used because it results in a lot of fat cat pockets getting fatter. I find it hard not to get bitter and angry on the subject to be honest.

Seems to me that the people advocating it have never been in bombed out silent bush, I mean how else could you justify it?

There is a bit of noise here (Wanaka) at the moment about getting the Makarora and Wilkin Valley drops stopped, I shall do some research and get involved.
    Good man Hanse. Involvement is what we need.

Ejected
    @hanse You can also mention the failed 1080 drops on rabbits in that area, and they had a few. Bad practices, skill lose I'm not sure. But it happened several times. Of course regional council deny it but it happened more than once.
    If it fails in the easy areas why do they think they can get it right in the tricky stuff.

Also as them what the current numbers are to warrant the drops. If they don't know why don't they know. If they don't know then how do they justify it??????????