Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: 1080 KILLING FISH

The way I see it, those that are so for the continued use of air dropping of 1080 with no regard, are simply lazy.
    They know the other options available, but are too engrained to see any reason.
    It's not a matter of value for money pest control.
    If the real reason to do it is for conservation and the protection of rare and endangered native creatures, there should be no consideration of costs.
    If TB control is the other reason to continue to drop 1080, how come other countries have managed to get rid of TB by using other methods? And as beef isn't a conservation issue - it's a business, those in that business need to do better to control TB, and pressure needs to be put on them to do just that.

I think most NZ'ders these days have no connection to the bush or the outdoors any more. In becoming so out of touch they don't really care what is being done - so long as it doesn't effect them.
    All the nice colourful pictures and videos twig and tweet, DoC and others use to promote their actions, make it easy for people to think everything is all fine and dandy.
    Only the likes of the Graff brothers are really doing something to make people aware of the reality. The tactics used to discredit them is shameful imo.

More needs to be done to stop the poisoning of the game animals we all like to hunt/fish for.
    More needs to be done to reduce the native fauna and flora being poisoned and killed by introduced predators.
    More needs to be done to reduce/eradicate TB.
    All this we can agree on I'm sure.
    I don't have all the answers and I don't claim to. But I do know we can't continue to rain green poison on everything and hope all will work out.
    veitnamcam, H&K MAN and GSP like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

It's the same old head banging bollox over and over.
    Prove a less toxic, lower impact method that NZ can afford and I'll stand behind you 100%.[/QUOTE]

I'm really keen to understand why the ARC that runs the operations for the Waitakere Ranges park up here uses a completely different poison to DOC????

I understand they use Brodificoum in bait stations, Timms traps and pest controllers and they seem to have increased the number of desired Birdlife under their watch in conjunction with DOC in ARK in the Park. Whereas DOC seems to have lost its imagination and just bulk drops on areas to lay waste to them in a slash and burn mentality.

I don't get it... DOC are meant to be the caretakers but 200+ years of trying that approach has only proved one thing that mother nature will bounce back - its just the things we don't want seem to procreate and thrive back the best. Talk about screwing the scrum in their favor....

Well said cambo.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Aly
    http://researcharchive.lincoln.ac.nz...s312entire.pdf

Fun read. Thought it was relevant to this thread. Plus I think it adds more academically researched and reviewed information to add to some opinions on here. I haven't bothered to check if this research has been continued yet but I know LU has been doing tested research for this for quite some years.

Aly
    And yes I read every damn page, I don't skip #academicnerd

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Well he is a policeman so probably not

This is a we poke and nothing personal savage1

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    You have the right to take the piss VC. If you give up the right to take the piss, anything you say will be be taken as if you're taking the piss.
    Savage1 likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Well said cambo.
    Absolutely. Cambo for Prime Minister.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

What happened to feratox is that to expensive to drop ....they used to use it in bait stations kill,s within minuets ,no secondary kills anyone no why they dont use it ?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    What happened to feratox is that to expensive to drop ....they used to use it in bait stations kill,s within minuets ,no secondary kills anyone no why they dont use it ?
    Its cyanide!

Kiwijames and others who are concerned about viable solutions as alternatives to 1080.

The mantra put out by the pro 1080 vested interests and even repeated by the PCE is that 1080 operations typically cost about $8-$10 per hectare. An official independent audit of the Animal Health Board records proved the true unveiled cost to AVERAGE $57 per ha.

A very average hunter can easily cover 15 km in a round trip in bush terrain in leas than aday, especially if all he has to carry is his lunch and a cyanide tube or some traps.

Possums typically will access baits from about 2-300 metres; rats about 100 metres.

Assuming our typical semi trained DoC worker can manage 15km loops of bait or trap laying per day. 15km *1000 m * 200 metre swath coverage equals a 300 hectare treated area per day. lets assume the operator returns on anther day to recover animals, fur or traps. This means an actual coverage of AT least 150 ha per day. Now lets assume a 20% downtime factor for acess, preparation, and admin. This leaves us with 120 hectares per day actual treated area.

Now apply the AVERAGE actual audit proven cost that AHB pays for 1080 operations , overheads and admin. $57 * 120 ha equals $6840.00.

Now do you understand why AHB and DOC (whose costs will be even higher than the AHB)) don't want to encourage trapping alternatives?

Why, it would create possum and rat trapper millionaires and solve the unemployment problem overnight, and of course, put the 1080 poisoners out of a job REAL QUICK; wouldn't it KIWIJAMES.

To keep a lid in this, the poisoners pay certain trapping contractors very high hourly contract rates but with obligations to sign "non disclosure agreements' in the hope the truth remains suppressed and the trapping industry remains entrapped by it's own internal wrangling.

Imagine the queue of applicants for a registered trapping professional certification course when the true earning potential was equated to the rip off being perpetrated on the NZ taxpayers by the AHB and DoC for 1080 poisoning. Even paying trappers $500 per day would be a huge win compared to continuing with the pollution of NZ with 1080; let alone $6840 per day! (Oh, sorry, lets deduct $40 per day for traps and tucker; -- $6800-00 per day. ---

Go figure---

Then think about the 85,000 ha they are about to poison in the Maruia / Lewis Pass area, where the beech mast did not happen and where there are bugger all rats. By the way; 85,000 ha at $57 equals $4,800,000-00; of our money. Doesn't that make you happy?
    outdoorlad and SIKAHUNTER like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Kiwijames and others who are concerned about viable solutions as alternatives to 1080.

The mantra put out by the pro 1080 vested interests and even repeated by the PCE is that 1080 operations typically cost about $8-$10 per hectare. An official independent audit of the Animal Health Board records proved the true unveiled cost to AVERAGE $57 per ha.

A very average hunter can easily cover 15 km in a round trip in bush terrain in leas than aday, especially if all he has to carry is his lunch and a cyanide tube or some traps.

Possums typically will access baits from about 2-300 metres; rats about 100 metres.

Assuming our typical semi trained DoC worker can manage 15km loops of bait or trap laying per day. 15km *1000 m * 200 metre swath coverage equals a 300 hectare treated area per day. lets assume the operator returns on anther day to recover animals, fur or traps. This means an actual coverage of AT least 150 ha per day. Now lets assume a 20% downtime factor for acess, preparation, and admin. This leaves us with 120 hectares per day actual treated area.

Now apply the AVERAGE actual audit proven cost that AHB pays for 1080 operations , overheads and admin. $57 * 120 ha equals $6840.00.

Now do you understand why AHB and DOC (whose costs will be even higher than the AHB)) don't want to encourage trapping alternatives?

Why, it would create possum and rat trapper millionaires and solve the unemployment problem overnight, and of course, put the 1080 poisoners out of a job REAL QUICK; wouldn't it KIWIJAMES.

To keep a lid in this, the poisoners pay certain trapping contractors very high hourly contract rates but with obligations to sign "non disclosure agreements' in the hope the truth remains suppressed and the trapping industry remains entrapped by it's own internal wrangling.

Imagine the queue of applicants for a registered trapping professional certification course when the true earning potential was equated to the rip off being perpetrated on the NZ taxpayers by the AHB and DoC for 1080 poisoning. Even paying trappers $500 per day would be a huge win compared to continuing with the pollution of NZ with 1080; let alone $6840 per day! (Oh, sorry, lets deduct $40 per day for traps and tucker; -- $6800-00 per day. ---

Go figure---

Then think about the 85,000 ha they are about to poison in the Maruia / Lewis Pass area, where the beech mast did not happen and where there are bugger all rats. By the way; 85,000 ha at $57 equals $4,800,000-00; of our money. Doesn't that make you happy?
    @Woody. This might help
    QuWave Defender - Protection for Targeted Individuals from Electronic Hartassment, Psychotronic, Psychic, and Spiritual Attacks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Its cyanide!
    I no that...whats wrong with using it ?
    I used to have my cyanide licence ...its good stuff !...never used feratox

sturg4
    Hi Boaraxa, Feratox is a great product by not registered for aerial use and I cant see it being used aerially for a long time yet as the capsule would need to be incorporated inside a bait of some kind.

It is brilliant when used in bait stations and best of all the possum dies next to the bait and the fur skin is available to the trapper which helps immensely in the cost of the operation.

Where we have the most problem is the Government Agencies claim they restrict the use aerial 1080 in areas that are hard to access by trappers. Which is of course patently untrue as over the years people like myself ran traps in these same poisoned areas doing their pre and post poison monitors.

Very little of the country they claim they have to use aerial 1080 on could be called inaccessible as witnessed by the numerous stock poisoning over the years and the number of incidents of 1080 pellets being dropped on trampers, picnickers, public roads and tracks
    veitnamcam and Carpe Diem like this.

sturg4
    Name:  Consequences of pest control (2).jpg
Views: 535
Size:  945.1 KB

Some of the problems we have refused to face up to over the sixty years of 1080 use in NZ.
    Gibo likes this.

veitnamcam, Boaraxa and Aly like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh