Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: 1080 KILLING FISH

Well Kiwijames and Motere; here's a wee conundrum for you----

Lotsa 1080 filth being dumped

Lotsa mouse and rats dying

Lotsa Wekas, keas, falcons herons, harriers (and trout) actively seek out mouse and eat big time---

Lotsa invertebrates (insects, worms etc) eat carcasses and accumulate 1080 in their bodies--

Lotsa insectivores like robins catch half doped toxic insects--- and it take sfa poisoned insects to kill a little bird

How are the polluters / poisoners preventing the Weka, Kea, falcon, harrier, ducks, including blue ducks, the herons, the stilts and all the other critters which eat mouse and insects and meat, maggots etc from getting to the )according to winker Smith) millions of mousies and rats that they create by their persistent repetitive poisoning operations???????

They are making a bloody good job of wiping out the Kea and the Weka I reckon.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Well Kiwijames and Motere; here's a wee conundrum for you----

Lotsa 1080 filth being dumped

Lotsa mouse and rats dying

Lotsa Wekas, keas, falcons herons, harriers (and trout) actively seek out mouse and eat big time---

Lotsa invertebrates (insects, worms etc) eat carcasses and accumulate 1080 in their bodies--

Lotsa insectivores like robins catch half doped toxic insects--- and it take sfa poisoned insects to kill a little bird

How are the polluters / poisoners preventing the Weka, Kea, falcon, harrier, ducks, including blue ducks, the herons, the stilts and all the other critters which eat mouse and insects and meat, maggots etc from getting to the )according to winker Smith) millions of mousies and rats that they create by their persistent repetitive poisoning operations???????

They are making a bloody good job of wiping out the Kea and the Weka I reckon.
    You dont get it do you? You do understand what the alternative is right?
    Whining on like a broken diff without anything that even resembles a fact has gotten your cause where? Yep nowhere.
    Like I've previously mentioned. Come up with a realistic solution and rational people may actually start to listen. Keep banging on like a (really annoying) broken record then you can stay in your corner.
    Savage1 and Toby like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

sturg4
    I see no reason for DOC AHB or the pro 1080 lobby to try to spread 'pixie dust' over this story it is a real disaster for all of us.

I see the warnings. Don't eat fish out of 1080 areas or the catchment downstream of a 1080 area. But how far downstream.

I have seen a spring flush of water clear all of the trout out of the headwaters of our streams and it sometime takes several months for the fish to return. Some of these fish may end up half way down to the ocean.

In some reports they say that these fish are loaded enough to kill a dog. Those of us that hunt with dogs want to know how we protect them. Dogs cant read.

In 2002 after a 1080 drop in the Forest behind the little settlement of Te Puru a few miles up the coast from here, they had a 'Weather Bomb' I went and interviewed three locals for a story I did for the Coromandel Chronicle.

When the flood waters receded there were 1080 baits left behind on peoples sections roads and footpaths. Dead possums littered the beaches north and south of the town. All these baits and dead animals came down the Te Puru Stream ( The towns Water Supply).

Five dogs died from 1080 poisoning, more would have if a locals had not brought up all the muzzles on the Coromandel and a local made an emergency trip to Hamilton. We were very lucky that no young child picked up a bait and swallowed it.

A massive effort was required to dispose of the baits and all the carcases littering the beaches and the Te Puru Stream.
    Last edited by Scribe; 29-09-2014 at 01:18 PM.
    Aly likes this.

sturg4
    Name:  Image (5).jpg
Views: 230
Size:  458.4 KB

its not just dogs that need protecting
    Aly likes this.

sturg4
    Name:  Image (48).jpg
Views: 245
Size:  326.1 KB

An alternative to. We are dropping 1080 to control TB

Accept that TB travels on the back of a truck and stop blaming the wildlife. The last three major outbreaks in NZ were in Northland Southland and Taranaki. The TB strain was traced to infected herds and poor movement control. It is Bovine Tuberculosis after all. Deal with the cattle herds and apply tighter movement control.

The Australians wouldn't listen to any bullshit about pigs, possums, deer spreading TB when I was involved in their BTB scheme. They targeted the Buffalo and Cattle herds and wiped it out and were declared TB free in 1997. The TB problem was far harder to control in Australia, especially in Northern Territory because it was so widespread among the wild cattle and Buffalo herds.
    veitnamcam, cambo, blake and 1 others like this.

Jeez Scribe you should write stories for a living. Such drama and action. Is a nearly 20 year old newspaper clipping the best you can come up with?
    I am sympathetic to the idea of wanting to be rid of 1080 but unlike the anti's I refuse to be apathetic.
    You would be far better off trying to ban cigarettes, cars and quad bikes if you are really that concerned for the well being of others as that is the ground your standing on but yet still no acknowledgement of the problem that 1080 is being used to address nor any practical solution offered. Lots of hui, not much dooey.
    I would love for chocolate sprinkles to be the magic bullet you seek, but they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Jeez Scribe you should write stories for a living. Such drama and action. Is a nearly 20 year old newspaper clipping the best you can come up with?
    I am sympathetic to the idea of wanting to be rid of 1080 but unlike the anti's I refuse to be apathetic.
    You would be far better off trying to ban cigarettes, cars and quad bikes if you are really that concerned for the well being of others as that is the ground your standing on but yet still no acknowledgement of the problem that 1080 is being used to address nor any practical solution offered. Lots of hui, not much dooey.
    I would love for chocolate sprinkles to be the magic bullet you seek, but they're not.
    I was warming to your passion kiwijames, but you just lost me with your dismissal of Scribe's clippings, and thinly veiled smear of his vocation.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    I was warming to your passion kiwijames, but you just lost me with your dismissal of Scribe's clippings, and thinly veiled smear of his vocation.
    Cest la vie. I am certainly no Pulitzer winners myself.
    It was not intended as a slur more disappointment at the inability to separate emotion from reality.
    To put it into perspective rather than tug at heart strings of the poor little girl who nearly died I'm sure (if I could be bothered) find more than a hundred cases of kids run over in driveways and you know the ugly rest. Kinda not necessary IMO.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

sturg4
    Actually I thought the articles above rather complimented Winston Peters news release today on having a moratorium on 1080 use and his appearance again on talkback radio on how 1080 poisoned trout is ruining NZ clean Green image overseas.

Not to mention the Campbell Live show featuring two women that had 1080 dropped on them while they were enjoying a picnic whose health may have been severely compromised.
    Dundee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Actually I thought the articles above rather complimented Winston Peters news release today on having a moratorium on 1080 use and his appearance again on talkback radio on how 1080 poisoned trout is ruining NZ clean Green image overseas.

Not to mention the Campbell Live show featuring two women that had 1080 dropped on them while they were enjoying a picnic whose health may have been severely compromised.
    I give up

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Cest la vie. I am certainly no Pulitzer winners myself.
    It was not intended as a slur more disappointment at the inability to separate emotion from reality.
    To put it into perspective rather than tug at heart strings of the poor little girl who nearly died I'm sure (if I could be bothered) find more than a hundred cases of kids run over in driveways and you know the ugly rest. Kinda not necessary IMO.
    I think most people especially those with children would see the difference here 'kiwi James'. You can take precautions with kids and driveways.

You cannot take precautions when you don't know about something. Who would in their wildest dreams would believe that 1080 had been dropped in the cemetery, in the paddock next to the school yard and around the Marae.

I can only imagine what it would be like to find out your young child had just eaten a 1080 pellet

Don't worry Kiwijames, you can't use reason, evidence, peer reviewed studies and logic against the antis emotions and rumours.

I don't like the stuff but there aren't any practical alternatives.
    kiwijames and res like this.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Don't worry Kiwijames, you can't use reason, evidence, peer reviewed studies and logic against the antis emotions and rumours.

I don't like the stuff but there aren't any practical alternatives.
    Sorry you don't agree to my responses to a call from 'kiwijames for proof of what is actually happening out there 'Savage 1'

You do recognise proof when you see it???
    Last edited by Scribe; 29-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Sorry you don't agree to my responses to a call from 'kiwijames for proof of what is actually happening out there 'Savage 1'

You do recognise proof when you see it???
    Well he is a policeman so probably not

This is a we poke and nothing personal savage1

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Savage1 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Well he is a policeman so probably not

This is a we poke and nothing personal savage1

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Good God I hope Angus know that.