Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Would you come along to...

I'd be happy with 1 day

Cheers for your thoughts Beavis.

Any other thoughts or ideas for shoots would be more than welcomed. If you know of a property owner / manager that would be ok with having a shoot set up then please get in touch.

Hi Gillie ,

Looks like you guys had another good shoot , and good weather to go with it as well .
    RE , 1 or 2 day shoots , if you look at a Saturday shoot ( main ) , and a Sunday ( mini , shoot for those still there/close to location ) , that means for people that have come a long way , they can travel Friday nite , shoot Sat & drive back home on Sun .
    RE : number of rds , I would favour 40 , rather than 60 , simply because of the time to run the guys thru the cousre of fire .

RE : The orienteering shoot , people getting maybe lost in a live firing zone , and the number of safety staff & comms required may make such an event too difficult to design or control well , and would use up a lot of time .

Have you thought of a shoot with maybe 10-20 small tgts , like metalic silhouette shooting , where each shooter has his own tgts , means you may be able to process the guys thru the course quicker .

Later Chris

Professional Armed Tramper lost's Avatar
    All of the above would be mint!! Obviously the closer to home the better

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Hi Gillie ,

Looks like you guys had another good shoot , and good weather to go with it as well .
    RE , 1 or 2 day shoots , if you look at a Saturday shoot ( main ) , and a Sunday ( mini , shoot for those still there/close to location ) , that means for people that have come a long way , they can travel Friday nite , shoot Sat & drive back home on Sun .
    RE : number of rds , I would favour 40 , rather than 60 , simply because of the time to run the guys thru the cousre of fire .

RE : The orienteering shoot , people getting maybe lost in a live firing zone , and the number of safety staff & comms required may make such an event too difficult to design or control well , and would use up a lot of time .

Have you thought of a shoot with maybe 10-20 small tgts , like metalic silhouette shooting , where each shooter has his own tgts , means you may be able to process the guys thru the course quicker .

Later Chris
    60 would be quite a bit for a 1 day field event. 40 is certainly easier to plan for.

Metallic silhouette, much like what we did at Tarata last time Chris? Or maybe more like Harry's? Hans's place would be ok for this type of shoot but many places don't have sufficient space for shooting locations.

The orienteering type event i had in mind would require very little navigation - more following a track a few kilometers.

R93
    Definitely planning to come to some of your shoots Gillie. Time is the only issue at the moment.
    Done oodles of jungle lanes but would be interested in ones where a bolt gun would not be a disadvantage but still required speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Definitely planning to come to some of your shoots Gillie. Time is the only issue at the moment.
    Done oodles of jungle lanes but would be interested in ones where a bolt gun would not be a disadvantage but still required speed.

maybe a bolt action jungle lane could have targets spread along further maybe? instead of multipul snap shots in a tight space perhaps.Id be hell keen on the orienteering one as i love nav and use to compete in Orienteering as a high schooler.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    maybe a bolt action jungle lane could have targets spread along further maybe? instead of multipul snap shots in a tight space perhaps.Id be hell keen on the orienteering one as i love nav and use to compete in Orienteering as a high schooler.
    Nav with map and compass only but.
    It could be safely run with a time limit and done in pairs. Just needs planning. Hooning along a track would be pointless.
    Nav to firing point.
    Bearing to a hard mid range target. No rangefinders would sort out the men from the boys.

Banned
    Nav with map and compass only but.
    It could be safely run with a time limit and done in pairs. Just needs planning. Hooning along a track would be pointless.
    Nav to firing point.
    Bearing to a hard mid range target. No rangefinders would sort out the men from the boys.

Yea open flat country nav or tight bush nav no gps.Got to have times limits however because it ads that all important competitive pressure!.

R93

Would you come along to...

Yea open flat country nav or tight bush nav no gps.Got to have times limits however because it ads that all important competitive pressure!.
    +1 something very similar is used to test military personnel that have high quality training.
    Even with the training and excellent background in navigation it's amazing how so few manage to pass.
    Gillies old man will know all about it and I believe is still the only pogue for lack of a better word, to have passed.

Banned
    +1 something very similar is used to test military personnel that have high quality training.
    Even with the training and excellent background in navigation it's amazing how so few manage to pass.
    Gillies old man will know all about it and I believe is still the only pogue for lack of a better word, to have passed.

I dont hesitate to beleive that about Malcolm.Brings back memories about PT jennings at west melton night nav..................We naved while he slept in the barracks.........I remember what he ran the next day two!.

R93

Would you come along to...

I dont hesitate to beleive that about Malcolm.Brings back memories about PT jennings at west melton night nav..................We naved while he slept in the barracks.........I remember what he ran the next day two!.
    Shit I can't remember. If I took any of you's for nav you all would now have a fucked sense of direction lol.
    Unless I used the baggies bar or the mess as a checkpoint.

Banned
    Shit I can't remember. If I took any of you's for nav you all would now have a fucked sense of direction lol.

Dont worry Sgt Hata re alinged our bearings for us...................he ran the sec gauntlet more than a few times he redeamed himself by standing up at the end of the third one with a smile......all was forgiven and became a very good navigator after that still in contact today.

Yes, an orienteering course would be awesome. The Army has agreat advantage i don't have in this regards though. They have the land and space to run this sort of event.... I won't say too much as it won't happen quickly and it could all come to nothing but i am working on this... The potential for screw ups is so high with an orienteering course. You only need one person to miss their mark by a hundred meters and they could walk into the firing line... and yes this is a risk that could be controlled.

Orienteering course would need a lot of set up and i suspect the entry wouldn't be $20 anymore.

R93
    Dont worry Sgt Hata re alinged our bearings for us...................he ran the sec gauntlet more than a few times he redeamed himself by standing up at the end of the third one with a smile......all was forgiven and became a very good navigator after that still in contact today.
    Sgt who?